[comp.sys.amiga] Zoo -- worst case behavior...

smith@aic.nrl.navy.mil (Russ Smith) (03/11/90)

Today I retrieved from a Fish archive, deZooed, and reZooed certain files
of the BallyIII arcade game equivalent. Test case results are:

Before compression via Zoo:

-rw-r--r--  1 smith       91340 Sep 19 12:05 BallyIII

and after Zoo:

-rw-r--r--  1 smith      121658 Sep 19 12:05 b.zoo

the command used to zoo it together was:

	zoo a b.zoo BallyIII

The zoo version was 2.01 I believe on UNIX 4.3, VAX780.

I hadn't expected this result...

		     ...uunet!mimsy!nrl-aic!hengeema!smith
		   /			    ^^^^^^^^
Russ Smith - a.k.a. 			       |
		   \			       |--- Amiga!
		     smith@aic.nrl.navy.mil

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Ian ROWLANDS) (03/11/90)

In article <13462@baldrick.udel.EDU> smith@aic.nrl.navy.mil (Russ Smith) writes:
>Today I retrieved from a Fish archive, deZooed, and reZooed certain files
>of the BallyIII arcade game equivalent. Test case results are:
>Before compression via Zoo:
>-rw-r--r--  1 smith       91340 Sep 19 12:05 BallyIII
>and after Zoo:
>-rw-r--r--  1 smith      121658 Sep 19 12:05 b.zoo
>the command used to zoo it together was:
>	zoo a b.zoo BallyIII
>The zoo version was 2.01 I believe on UNIX 4.3, VAX780.

	I noticed this behavior in the fish archives at mrcnext etc.. (don't
use their name, just their number). On fish 310 (?), UUCP 1.00 and Mon are on
the one disk. Why does UUCP.zoo take about 924K? Wouldn't be a little difficult
to fit it and other stuff on one disk?
	Just wondering,
			Ian

P.S. Thanks a lot to the guys at mrcnext, I couldn't live without your
      archives.

Ian Rowlands                      | (Funny quote - open to suggestions)
Dept. of Electrical Engineering   |
University of Melbourne           | also new alternative address to 7/90
Email :- ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au | ianr@munmurra.cs.mu.oz.au

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (03/11/90)

I was under the impression that zoo was a tool to collect things into
an archive, not a compression tool.  Was that wrong?

Patrick Horgan                        phorgan@cup.portal.com

In <27791@cup.portal.com>, phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
>I was under the impression that zoo was a tool to collect things into
>an archive, not a compression tool.  Was that wrong?

It's both.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (03/19/90)

In article <1258@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <27791@cup.portal.com>, phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
>>I was under the impression that zoo was a tool to collect things into
>>an archive, not a compression tool.  Was that wrong?
>
>It's both.

It's a floor wax *and* a dessert topping!  :-)

--
If there's a byte of data in the computer but no   | Steve King  (708) 991-8056