From 76566.1137@compuserve.com Sun Mar 18 17:48:32 1990
Date: 18 Mar 90 19:50:04 EST
From: Mike Roth/Lattice <76566.1137@CompuServe.COM>
To: <schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil>
Subject: Lattice C 5.05 Patch Status

Jeff,

   Thanks for sending me copies of this discussion, and thanks for forwarding
my response to the network.  I appreciate it.  Here is my response:

I would like to respond to the recent articles discussing the Lattice C
compiler patches for 5.04 and 5.05.  I am in a position to clear up some
of the misconceptions posted here, since I was responsible for putting the
5.04 and 5.05 patches together.

When we were putting together the 5.04 patch, we sent what we thought would
be the final version to our shipping department who was responsible for
getting the disks copied.  They sent the disk to a third party disk copier.
We then added more fixes to the patch and superceded the older version.
Somehow either our shipping department or the copier messed up and we ended
up shipping out both versions.

We did not figure out that this occurred until we had released the 5.05 patch
and found multiple people who could not install the new patch.  Since we don't
know how many people received the older 5.04 patch or who they were, it is
impossible to send them new versions.  Our solution is to create a new 5.05
patch which will install on top of both 5.04 versions.

Anyone with the old 5.04 patch who needs 5.05 as soon as possible should call
our technical support people and have them send a full set of 5.05 masters.
Since we (the development people) have control over the master sets, we had
no problem creating 5.05 masters.  If a technical support person tells you
that they can't send you the 5.05 disks, get their name.  We'll get them
straigtened up quickly.

As far as expanding technical support, we currently don't have the resources.
We do not charge our customers for technical support, unlike many software
companies.  I recommend getting technical support through our BBS or on BIX
or CompuServe first, and only calling our tech. support number if necessary.
By doing this, you'll make it easier for others to get through when they
really need to.  Maybe we should start charging for technical support, but
then I'm sure that many of our customers would flame us for doing so.  Sounds
like a no-win situation to me.

The problems mentioned with the string.h and stdlib.h conflict and the lmk
problem were both specific to the older 5.04 patch and are resolved in the
5.05 patch which should be available within the next few days.

We really try to be responsive to our customers and do need to know when
things go awry, which sounds like what has happened here.  Again, Lattice
prides itself on having some of the best customer support in the business,
and if one of our support people is giving out wrong information we need
to know about it.

       -- Mike Roth / Lattice, Inc.
          BIX:  mroth
          CIS:  [76566,1137]

P.S.:  Needless to say, our shipping department is taking a lot of heat from
       us on letting the screwup occur in the first place, and we are taking
       steps to insure that this never happens again.

       I'd also like to thank Jeff Schweiger for bringing this discussion
       to my attention and posting my response.  I don't personally have
       access to this network.

Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil