[comp.sys.amiga] PLATO emulator for Amy?

jon@sun.acs.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch) (03/08/90)

I realize that I'm probably grabbing at straws, but.......
Does *anyone* know of a PLATO terminal emulator for the Amiga?
PLATO is some system put out by Control Data and is very useful
for educational purposes.
As always, any info appreciated.

       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
       |  |   |\       | jon@sun.acs.udel.edu | "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch | \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (03/12/90)

> Does anyone know of a PLATO terminal emulator for the Amiga ...

Umm.  Well, you know, PLATO (at least if it was a true version that I saw
a couple of years ago) was not that different from BASIC.  What I saw had
very much the same type of high level command syntax and structure.  Have
you considered trying your application with AmigaBASIC?  Or simpler still
what about The Director?  I know it is billed as an animator, but even
if all you wanted to do was display text on the page, it could do that for
you very simply, in addition to including graphics much more easily than
you could with BASIC.
It depends on what your technical background is and what you want to use
it for, but you would probably find The Director much easier to develop
powerful presentations with than PLATO.  I could be wrong.  Long time since
I've seen it and perhaps it is more powerful now, but check out the Director.
Command syntax runs along the lines of PRINT, GOTO, WIPE, FADE, DISPLAY, etc.
Those are fine for writing educational applications if you have limited
knowledge of programming.  Good luck.
                            Julie (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com)

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Boing) (03/18/90)

)
)Umm.  Well, you know, PLATO (at least if it was a true version that I saw
)a couple of years ago) was not that different from BASIC.  What I saw had

Different PLATO, I think.  I believe he was referring to the PLATO system
developed by Control Data Corporation.  I think it's original incarnation
was *the* original timesharing system.  It's largely used for Computer
Aided Instruction (CAI) now.

--
  //    boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!   //
\X/  								       \X/

perand@nada.kth.se (Per Andersson) (03/18/90)

In article <27821@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>> Does anyone know of a PLATO terminal emulator for the Amiga ...
>
>Umm.  Well, you know, PLATO (at least if it was a true version that I saw
>a couple of years ago) was not that different from BASIC.  What I saw had

Ah. I hope it is you who is wrong, I get the impression that this is about a
terminalemulator for connecting to the CD Cyber Plato system. No, sorry,
haven't seen one, only for PC's, but if you find one for the amiga or atari ST
please let us know. It would be nice to have a new avatar terminal. To bad
there are so few Plato systems around nowadays.

Per
--
---
Per Andersson

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Olson) (03/19/90)

In article <3159@draken.nada.kth.se> perand@nada.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
>In article <27821@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>>> Does anyone know of a PLATO terminal emulator for the Amiga ...

	At one time there was a PLATO emulator for the Amiga, the company
who sold it is no longer in business, I have a friend who has it, and it
does work, although it does not like fastram.  I don't know if you can find
any copies of it floating around somewhere but it is a commercial product so
I can't give any copies out, sorry.
                                        -Todd

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Boing) (03/19/90)

In article <3159@draken.nada.kth.se> perand@nada.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
)In article <27821@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
)>> Does anyone know of a PLATO terminal emulator for the Amiga ...
)>
)>Umm.  Well, you know, PLATO (at least if it was a true version that I saw
)>a couple of years ago) was not that different from BASIC.  What I saw had
)
)Ah. I hope it is you who is wrong, I get the impression that this is about a
)terminalemulator for connecting to the CD Cyber Plato system. No, sorry,
)haven't seen one, only for PC's, but if you find one for the amiga or atari ST
)please let us know. It would be nice to have a new avatar terminal. To bad
)there are so few Plato systems around nowadays.
)
)Per

I believe Per is correct here.  The last known address (May, 1989) of
Prospect Software, makers of AmigaPAD (Amiga PLATO Access Disk) is

		Prospect Software
		39 North Street
		Northampton, Massachusetts  01060
		(413) 585-5971

price at the time was ~$32 I think.  olson@uhccux mentions PAD being buggy
with respect to Fast RAM, but I have not noticed any problems with my
somewhat old version (1.3e) on my 2.5M A1000.

-baron