[comp.sys.amiga] CLI zipping

john.russell@canremote.uucp (JOHN RUSSELL) (03/18/90)

I keep hearing complaints about how PKAZip is unusable without a CLI
interface.   But there is a PD extracter program, Zippy, by David
Godshall.  While it doesn't let you enzip files, it should be all that's
needed for downloaders.  And it handles "unreducing", which PKAZip *does
not*.  The one I have is dated Jan. 1, 1990 so it should be widely
available by now.

John
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

In <90031716434701@masnet.uucp>, john.russell@canremote.uucp (JOHN RUSSELL) writes:
>I keep hearing complaints about how PKAZip is unusable without a CLI
>interface.   But there is a PD extracter program, Zippy, by David
>Godshall.  While it doesn't let you enzip files, it should be all that's
>needed for downloaders.  And it handles "unreducing", which PKAZip *does
>not*.  The one I have is dated Jan. 1, 1990 so it should be widely
>available by now.

Great! How about posting it to the net? If it's shareware, and works, I'll send
off two things; a shareware contribution to David, and a rejection slip to the
author of PKAZip.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com (Mike Shawaluk) (03/19/90)

In article <90031716434701@masnet.uucp> john.russell@canremote.uucp (JOHN RUSSELL) writes:
>I keep hearing complaints about how PKAZip is unusable without a CLI
>interface.   But there is a PD extracter program, Zippy, by David
>Godshall.  While it doesn't let you enzip files, it should be all that's
>needed for downloaders.  And it handles "unreducing", which PKAZip *does
>not*.  The one I have is dated Jan. 1, 1990 so it should be widely
>available by now.

I have version 1.21 of Zippy, and thought that it looked promising as a CLI
version, especially with its numerous options for listing & sorting ZIP file
contents.  However, in the limited test I gave it, it would NOT properly
handle imploded files (one of these files was created with PKAZip, and the
others were created with PKZIP 1.02 on the IBM PC.)  The program would report
some error message that I can't remember right now; I'm confident that
someone has probably reported this one to the author by now, since it did
this on EVERY .ZIP file I tried with it (albeit only a half-dozen or so), and
that it reported this error message ONLY for imploded files (well, in being
totally honest, I did create a .ZIP file with only "shrunk" files in it, and
ZIPPY did fine with that one.)

I suppose that I could have taken a more active stance in helping the author
get this problem fixed (for all I know it may be fixed already), but as I am
currently doing work for PKWARE (on platforms other than the Amiga), I have,
shall we say, conflicting interests that must be dealt with (i.e., I too am
interested in seeing a CLI version, but I also am supportive of PKWARE's
products, since they pay me for my work!)

Oh, and I wanted to say something in answer to the lively (!) discussion
about Phil Katz' message on his BBS, in which he vented some of his
frustration toward certain Amiga users & their support (or lack thereof) for
his products.  Since I know Phil and Dennis Hoffman (the person who wrote
PKAZip), I feel I am safe in saying that these two met last week to discuss
matters concerning a CLI version. . .  This meeting was, to the best of my
knowledge, initiated by Phil, so I believe that he hasn't given up on Amiga
people yet (heck, he hasn't given up on ME :-)

  - Mike
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
"Rarely have we seen a mailer  ->  DOMAIN: mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com