[comp.sys.amiga] Turbo and the 2630

Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) (03/07/90)

Can someone clear something up for me once and for all.  Can or cannot, turbo
silver work with the 030 processor.  I can't get it to work.  Someone kinda
said that there might be a patch out.  Please help.
Also, my 2500 will not autoboot with the at board.  Some have mentioned a new
set of roms for both of these boards.  Do I need these, and will C= fix for
free (seems only fair since I just got the system)  Thanks.  -jim-

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Jim Priestle - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!Jim.Priestle
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org

erick@GAUDI.CSUFRESNO.EDU (Eric Keisler) (03/09/90)

[-----------------------------------------------------------------------]
Well, I've been using Turbo Silver 3.0 *and* SA4D on my GVP3001 equipped
A2000 without a hitch for months.  Must be a problem with the 2630 or
the 2091...

---
erick@csufres.CSUFresno.EDU    Eric Keisler, CSU Fresno

eaeu079@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) (03/10/90)

In article <9003090636.AA11199@gaudi.CSUFresno.EDU> erick@GAUDI.CSUFRESNO.EDU (Eric Keisler) writes:
>[-----------------------------------------------------------------------]
>Well, I've been using Turbo Silver 3.0 *and* SA4D on my GVP3001 equipped
>A2000 without a hitch for months.  Must be a problem with the 2630 or
>the 2091...

The problem is specific to Turbo Silver and the combination of the A2091
and the A2630.  Either of these compenenets will work fine by themselves.
Impulse is VERY rude if you mention this problem to them.  They will deny
any responsibility for the problem and blame CBM.  IMHO, they are full of
s#?!, why are they the only software program on the market that has this
problem?  Anyway, the first time I called, they denied the problem, the
second time they said it was CBM's fault but they are working on it, the
third time they said that if I buy their SV upgrade it will fix the problem,
when I bought there SV upgrade it acted exactly the same, I called a 4th
time and they said that SV will probably only work if run from the CLI,
when I asked they told me the non SV version also would have woked from
the CLI.  Great way to do buisness guys!  Next, they told me to just not
do any ray-tracing and wait for their next great upgrade, yea right...

I would completly boycott thier product, but it can render some effects I
can't get out of Sculpt and Byte by Byte has their own set of problems as
a company.  Although Sculpt 4D seems very stable on my A2091 and A2630.

BTW, I have herd completely unconfirmed rumors that the problem is a simple
as something in the A2091 code writing to Mem Location 0.  I don't know if
this is the problem but after booting up I did run a test program and
sure enough Mem location 0 was nonzero.

-Jason-

--

---------
Jason Goldberg                     INTERNET: eaeu079@ORION.OAC.UCI.EDU

IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) (03/10/90)

In article <25F7DA71.9670@orion.oac.uci.edu>, eaeu079@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason
Goldberg) says:

>In article <9003090636.AA11199@gaudi.CSUFresno.EDU> erick@GAUDI.CSUFRESNO.EDU
>(Eric Keisler) writes:
>>[-----------------------------------------------------------------------]
>>Well, I've been using Turbo Silver 3.0 *and* SA4D on my GVP3001 equipped
>>A2000 without a hitch for months.  Must be a problem with the 2630 or
>>the 2091...
>
>BTW, I have herd completely unconfirmed rumors that the problem is a simple
>as something in the A2091 code writing to Mem Location 0.  I don't know if
>this is the problem but after booting up I did run a test program and
>sure enough Mem location 0 was nonzero.
>
>-Jason-

This is a problem with a few programs.  Notably JRComm.  I wrote a
small assembly program that displays location zero, then either
clears or sets it depending on the command line argument.  It is only
about 400 butes so I will UUENCODE it tonight ant post it.

Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>

" Seaman) (03/13/90)

<
< The problem is specific to Turbo Silver and the combination of the A2091
< and the A2630.  Either of these compenenets will work fine by themselves.

I just picked up Turbo Silver and a 2091 controller for my 2500/20 this
weekend, and it exhibits the same problems, so it is not specific to the
2091 and 2630.  BTW, Turbo did run properly on my 2500 before installing
the 2091 (I was using the 2090A controller).

< BTW, I have herd completely unconfirmed rumors that the problem is a simple
< as something in the A2091 code writing to Mem Location 0.  I don't know if
< this is the problem but after booting up I did run a test program and
< sure enough Mem location 0 was nonzero.

This seems logical, since the GURU reported when Turbo crashes is an
address error, with an address of 00000000 as the offending location.
This is repeatable in both 68020 and 68000 modes, whether the system is
booted from the hard disk or an unmodified Workbench floppy.

Is it possible that this will become a 'non-problem' when Commodore
upgrades the 2091 ROMs?  My dealer told me that there is a ROM upgrade
due out in about a month.  Please note that this was the first I had
heard about any upgrade, so it may be misinformation.

< -Jason-
<
< ---------
< Jason Goldberg                     INTERNET: eaeu079@ORION.OAC.UCI.EDU
<                                      BITNET: eaeu079@UCI.BITNET

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    /--\
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |   |    |         "This is as real as

Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Miller) (03/19/90)

Jason, we have found the problem to be that the software is writen to an
area reserved by C= (Memory location 0), the 2091 uses that location
when populated and several programs, Excellence, The Works Platinum and
early versions of Turbo Silver will not run unless you run a little
Basic Porgram Poke L 0,0...a friend, Jim Locker wrote a little program
called "Bang 0" that will allow you to include the Poke statement in
your startup and C directory...it can be found on Mericals Starchaser
BBS (513)435-5227 and we are trying to get it out to other locations to
take care of this problem.....Mike

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Mike Miller - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!210!Mike.Miller
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG