[comp.sys.amiga] Windows on a custom screen

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (03/19/90)

In article <17190004@hpfcdj.HP.COM> allen@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Allen Norskog) writes:
>[...]
>Another alternative would be to create a custom hi-res screen -- but how do
>I easily get CLI or edit windows to pop up on the custom screen?

Also, can this be done in the general case?  For example, I'm using ATalk III.
I wrote an ARexx script as a replacement to ATalk's truly horrid "TALK"
emulator.  Essentially, I open a NEWCON: window and use its inherent
history feature as a chat history.  Great, but I can only open one up on
the Workbench screen!  As a kludge, I must toggle ATalk back to using the
Workbench rather than its own custom screen when I want to chat.  It's
livable, but not ideal.  (But it *does* beat the bejeebers out of ATalk's
own "TALK".  I hate when, in 15 minutes, I can hack together a better
interface than one I paid good money for...)

In the same vein, I'd like to use FReq as a file requestor under ATalk.
No dice, it seems to only open on the Workbench as well.  Suggestions?

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
It doesn't matter what temperature a room is; it's | Steve King  (708) 991-8056

apuzzo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (APUZZO ALFONSO A) (03/19/90)

In article <1722@grape3.UUCP> king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) writes:
>No dice, it seems to only open on the Workbench as well.  Suggestions?

This is getting tech-y enough for c.s.a.t, but anyway:

I've programmed this, so I don't know HOW to do it, but I know several programs
that DO it (open up windows on non WB screens)

	Qlens
	Qview
	Pallette (from WB 1.3 Extras)

Qview and Pallette open up on whatever screen is on 'top' after they load,
while Qlens can move to any screen while it is running.

These programs are in general distribution, but they don't come with source
code...

--> Tony <--

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (03/20/90)

Steve King says:
> Essentially, I open a NEWCON: window and use its inherent
> history feature as a chat history.  Great, but I can only open one up on
> the Workbench screen!

  Get rid of newcon: and try ConMan. It's a very popular *shareware*
console device replacement by Bill Hawes. Version 1.3 has the ability
to open up on a specific screen if you know its address, or to open
up on the front screen. The latter is very useful from AREXX scripts.
Just be sure  to close any such windows before closing the application
(and thus the screen).

  Jim