[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga questions

rhode@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Rhode) (12/17/86)

I recently purchased an Amiga and am impressed.  After reading
566 articles, I have a few questions.

1) Can I get someone to send me a copy of parts 1-5 of Egad?

2) What is POPCLI?

3) How can I get sources and/or binaries over to my amiga?
   Must I type in 200+ lines of code to get a program to do this?

4) I am confused that everyone is discussing version 1.2 when I only
   have 1.1 (only 3 days old).  Will I have to pay extra for this?
   (I want that path command)

Darin Johnson
  (I am on a friend's account, so if you reply, make it short, then
   I will get back to you if you have something large to mail)

pherring@mipos3.UUCP (03/11/87)

I am posting this for a friend, please do not reply to me. -- Thanks, Paul
I am a novice AMIGA user and have encountered two problems which I hope
someone out there can help resolve:

Problem 1:

One of my most valued diskettes can no longer be accessed. Every time I
try to load it, the AMIGA responds with something like,

	DISK DATA STRUCTURE CORRUPT -- USE DISKDOCTOR TO FIX.

My question is who or what is DISKDOCTOR and where may I find him or it?

Now I know the moral of the story is to backup everything, but could I skip
the part about learning from mistakes and get my disk back ?

Problem 2:

I recently tried to download a wordprocessing program called MED from a
local bulletin board. Although I set my protocol to match the bulletin
board (CRC-XMODEM) and apparently successfully downloaded, when I typed
the programs name at the CLI prompt, my AMIGA returned with ' ... NOT AN
OBJECT FILE '.

I assumed that anything I download from a bulletin board is executable. Is
this correct ?

Many thanks in advance,

Stephan Andres
INTeL Corporation

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <533@mipos3.UUCP> pherring@mipos3.UUCP (Paul Herring ~) writes:
(questions posted for a friend)

>My question is who or what is DISKDOCTOR and where may I find him or it?

DiskDoctor is a new 1.2 CLI command and is on 1.2 WorkBench.  It attempts to
fix trashed disks.

>I recently tried to download a wordprocessing program called MED from a
>local bulletin board. Although I set my protocol to match the bulletin
>board (CRC-XMODEM) and apparently successfully downloaded, when I typed
>the programs name at the CLI prompt, my AMIGA returned with ' ... NOT AN
>OBJECT FILE '.
>
>I assumed that anything I download from a bulletin board is executable. Is
>this correct ?

1. No you can't assume that everything you download from a BB is an
   executable.  It could be source code, or uuencoded executable, or
   ARC'd executable, etc., etc.  We've had two different MEDs here.
   I think one was shar'd source, the other uuencoded executable.

2. If you DO Xmodem an execuatable from a BB, it will probably end up
   with Xmodem filler at the end.  I think Xmodem sends something like
   128 byte blocks, and pads the last partial block to 128 bytes.
   AmigaDOS rejects executables with extra trailing filler, so you
   need a program like the public domain "fixobj" to chop the filler
   off of it.

So you either downloaded something that was not an executable, or you've
got an executable with filler on the end.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

wagner@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (03/17/87)

In article <1540@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
>In article <533@mipos3.UUCP> pherring@mipos3.UUCP (Paul Herring ~) writes:
>(questions posted for a friend)
>
>>My question is who or what is DISKDOCTOR and where may I find him or it?
>
>DiskDoctor is a new 1.2 CLI command and is on 1.2 WorkBench.  It attempts to
>fix trashed disks.

I'd just like to point out that DISKDOCTOR isn't perfect, and sometimes fails.
Moreover, it writes back over your original disk, so if it fails, it may make
furthur recovery efforts difficult.  DISKSALV, originally posted by Dave
Haynie (sp?) of Commodore, attempts to copy your files to a new disk.
A much better approach.  This utility was recently re-posted (without source)
to the net.  It's also on Fish disk 20.

Michael

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (03/20/87)

In article <1987Mar17.090751.6370@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> wagner@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Michael Wagner) writes:
>I'd just like to point out that DISKDOCTOR isn't perfect, and sometimes fails.
>Moreover, it writes back over your original disk, so if it fails, it may make
>furthur recovery efforts difficult.  DISKSALV, originally posted by Dave
>Haynie (sp?) of Commodore, attempts to copy your files to a new disk.
>A much better approach.  This utility was recently re-posted (without source)
>to the net.  It's also on Fish disk 20.
>
>Michael

I'd just like to point out that DISKSALV isn't perfect, and sometimes fails.
Not a programming fault, it is just that sometimes diskdrives aren't aligned
correctly, or the disk isn't put in perfectly.  Don't run DiskDoctor on a
disk if there is a prayer in the world of saving it other wise.  I find that
if a disk won't read I can change drives (or Amigas) and the disk is new.  I
even have a Xerox Workbench disk that has died many times and I just toss it
across the room and go pick it up, put in back in and get two more weeks of
life out of it.  If I didn't back that disk up weekly of course it would never
come back, but I won't let it screw me, so it is waiting to go bad forever
until I forget and don't back up something important.
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (03/21/87)

> I'd just like to point out that DISKSALV isn't perfect, and sometimes fails.

I know.... I'm working on it.  Though, at least on occasion, the thing you're
trying to read is completely trashed, and nothing short of some serious
magick would help it.  That's, of course, what backups are for.

> Not a programming fault, it is just that sometimes diskdrives aren't aligned
> correctly, or the disk isn't put in perfectly.  Don't run DiskDoctor on a
> disk if there is a prayer in the world of saving it other wise.

And that's my major problem with DiskDoctor; it writes to the bad disk.  In
my development of DiskSalv, at least at the beginning, I only had one bad
disk to play around with.  So I decided that I wouldn't do anything with the
original.  Even if I ended up fixing it, there goes my test disk.  I eventually
got a copy of DiskEd, so I could make my own bad disks (and I learned a few
tricks about when to pull your floppy to create bad tracks), but I kept the
philosophy of not changing the bad disk.  If the bad disk really is the only
disk with my IMPORTANT STUFF on it (in my original case, it was), I didn't
want to make things worse.  The DiskSalv program recovered everything that
I knew how to get anyway, so why muck with the original.  That way, possibly
another program could come along and maybe extract a few things that DiskSalv
missed.  I haven't needed DiskDoctor yet, but it may be a reasonable tool
for recovery, I don't know.  My advice, for the moment, would be to try
DiskSalv (and any other program that only READS the bad disk) first, then
try DiskDoctor.  Maybe DiskDoctor knows a few thing that DiskSalv doesn't.
But certainly running DiskDoctor first could burn a bridge or two that
DiskSalv know about.

I'm (very slowly) working on a version of DiskSalv that supports hard
disks and other DOS devices.  There are several problems with this, though.
Any device that uses an alternate Handler could very easily provide a
completely different disk layout (maybe optomized for directory access
or something) so no program's ever going to be perfect.  But if you want
to hear about pain, talk to an owner of an MS-DOS or similar disk-format
computer when they've got some restoring to do from a trashed disk.

> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
Dave Haynie     Commodore Technology              // /|  ___   __   __   __
  {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh          |\  // /_|     | /  \ /  \ /  \
Commodore rarely admits to knowing me,        \\// /  |  +--+ |  | |  | |  |
  much less sharing my personal opinions.      \/ /   |  |___ \__/ \__/ \__/

wagner@utgpu.UUCP (03/22/87)

Dave:  Since you work for commodore, why wasn't disksalv distributed with
1.2 instead of diskdoctor?  And why is commodore recommending diskdoctor
(the requestor tells you to run it!) with it's acknowledged faults?

Michael

802360644%RUMAC%UPR1.UPR.CUN.EDU@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu (11/09/89)

Newsgroup: comp.sys.amiga

Hi:

 My name is Angel Asencio and I'm trying to get some anwsers for these
questions:

  1) I'm planning to by a Hard Disk for the Amiga 500, I saw the HD-Series from
Imtronics in the Amiga Plus#4, page 19. Any coment about this drive or any
other drive welcome, I can spend up to $750.00.

  2) At the present time I'll buy the external Supra 2400 modem, Any comment
for it or any other welcome, I can spend in this $150.00.

  3) A friend of mine want to buy an Amiga, but when we check the monitor,
the software house told me that they no longer sell the 1084S, instead they
will sell the 1084D without being stereo. Any one know if Commodore will
release an other stereo monitor, and what of special have the 1084D?

  4) Is there some store that sell Amiga stickers? I'm specially interested in
the ones that can be in the inside of the car's window.

                                      Thanks for your help,     //
                                                        Angel \X/

drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) (11/10/89)

Angel Asencio writes:

>  2) At the present time I'll buy the external Supra 2400 modem, Any
> comment for it or any other welcome, I can spend in this $150.00.

I have had a Supra Modem 2400 (external) for over a year now.  I have
absolutely no compliants.  I even got some free on-line time with
CompuServe in the packaging (although I have not used it yet (-: ).

If you're a good shopper, you ought to be able to get one for somewhere
near $100.

Mike

|   //                  Michael Drues                                   |
| \X/     Internet:     drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu                  |
|         Bitnet:       v2.med@isumvs.bitnet                            |

Sam.Dunham@uscacm.UUCP (Sam Dunham) (11/14/89)

Hey Angel,
     1) I don't know that much about hard drives (too rich for my blood!) but I do
that Commodore is planning to release their own hard drive/SCSI controlloer/memory
slot all in one thingy soon.  It lets you add more memory to the 500 along with hav

     2) The Supra Modem 2400 is great!!!!!!!!!!!

     3) They still make the 1084S (Actually, I'm not sure if they make the 'D' seri
and I got mine with my 500 at Motgomery Grant (Mail Order House - who would buy fro
store anyway!) for $799.00.

    4) Most of the mail order places are now selling a @#&*!-load full of Amiga par
including stuff like tote bags and towels. Try calling a couple to find those stick
    And while you're at it, see if they have the Amiga name-plate for the 1084S mon
I like the Amiga logo MUCH better than the C=1084S logo that I got!

                                         Hope I Helped,   //
                                         Sam            \X/  < neat!

Sam Dunham == ...!usceast!uscacm!Sam.Dunham

jemmrich@carroll1.cc.edu (John Emmrich) (02/16/90)

     I see that NIB 2.0 is now available. In the little ad that I
saw, it says that it will remove some copy protections (mainly
book type) and that it will basically copy anything. Does anybody
out there know more about this? Utilities Unlimited is
advertising it for 44.95.
     Also in their ad, Utilities unlimited is advertising a Super
Card for the amiga. I know someone asked about it before, but I
never saw any replies. What is known about this product? Is it
any good?
     One last question. Is Pool of Radiance for the Amiga out
yet? Or is this one of those games that will always be coming
soon?
     Please e-mail any replies. Thanks.

                                   jemmrich@carroll1.cc.edu

*-------------------------------------------------------------*
*    An IBM?                     *        John                *
*         Who would want one?    *          Emmrich           *
*-------------------------------------------------------------*

daytrpr@max.u.washington.edu (03/08/90)

I have some questions for you Amiga users.

  I'm thinking of purchasing a new system (I have a humble 64 now),
and was wondering what everyone thinks of their amiga's.  More
specifically, I was wondering if there is a REALLY GOOD CAD program
on the market (professional quality).  I would use it was CAD work
as well as technical reporting, so if anyone could comment on these
uses with the Amiga I'd appreciate it.

thanks.

***********************

stephen@hpdmd48.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) (03/09/90)

Daytrpr @max.u.washington.edu writes:
>  I'm thinking of purchasing a new system (I have a humble 64 now),
>and was wondering what everyone thinks of their amiga's.

The Amiga is a great machine for the money.  I really enjoy mine.
Buy an Amiga and be happy. :-)

>More
>specifically, I was wondering if there is a REALLY GOOD CAD program
>on the market (professional quality).  I would use it was CAD work
>as well as technical reporting, so if anyone could comment on these
>uses with the Amiga I'd appreciate it.

The best CAD programs that I know of are PD.  I made the mistake of
buying DynamiCAD.  It has the absolutely WORST user interface known to
mankind.  Anyone want to buy a copy of DynamiCAD for cheap? :-)

I also have the public domain (maybe shareware) programs mCAD and Plans.
mCAD is a fairly simple program but has a nice interface.  Plans is
somewhat cryptic, but once you learn it, it does a good job.

In fact, most of the programs that I use on a regular basis anymore are
either PD or shareware.  There are some VERY GOOD authors out there
creating VERY GOOD programs for the amiga and then giving them to us.
For example, there is SKSH, DNET:, PLT:, SnipIt, etc.  Also, PD games
are good, too.

It seems that most of the commercial programs have wacky copy protection
that doesn't let you put them on a harddisk, can't back them up, or they
don't multitask.  The PD and shareware stuff seems to far superior to
the commercial stuff in these areas.

 ____       ____
|   / /_  __\   | Disk      0S/2 == 1/2 OS (Leo Schwab)      Stephen Holmstead
|  | / / /_/ |  | Mechanism          //             ...!hplabs!hpdmlge!stephen
|___\   /   /___| Division         \X/ Amiga        stephen@hpdmlge.boi.hp.com

jwright@cs.iastate.edu (Jim "Aloha" Wright) (03/09/90)

daytrpr@max.u.washington.edu writes:
[...]
| as well as technical reporting, so if anyone could comment on these
| uses with the Amiga I'd appreciate it.

Get AmigaTeX.  You'll never regret it.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cs.iastate.edu

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (03/11/90)

>From: stephen@hpdmd48.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) Message-ID: <15440020@hpdmd48.HP.COM>

>specifically, I was wondering if there is a REALLY GOOD CAD program
>on the market (professional quality).  I would use it was CAD work
>as well as technical reporting, so if anyone could comment on these
>uses with the Amiga I'd appreciate it.

If you have the time and patiance to learn how to use it, X-Cad Designer
would be IMHO a prime candidate for CAD work at a reasonable price. Its less
than 100 dollars US. I've used it for drawing a scale floorplan diagram of
my house and it was most enjoyable work. It has a user definable menu strip
that sits off to the side in an auto sizing window. It has many many commands
that can be called by either the user definable menu strip, the pull down
menus or a command line that will accept tokenized versions of each command
available. It's REALLY worth learning. The program is dongle protected and
is easily installed onto a hard drive with some assigns.

I've heard comments about having the command line "kludge" but to be honest,
once I learned how to use it I started using it more than the mouse.It allows
you to take dimensions off of a scratch drawing and plug them in while the
drawing takes shape on the screen. It supports viewports, layered drawings,
and user definable sheet sizes. Much much more. It also writes HPGL files or
prints to plotters. I've been using the PLT: device as an output file to
do all my printing with Beautiful results. No crashes yet ! Oh ! did I forget
to mention that screen refresh is --- LIGHTNING FAST. Which translated means
extremely fast zoom on complicated drawings, A real Plus ! Heartily
Recommended for those that don't mind spending a little time with the program
to learn how to use it.

--
 -------------------------------------------------//-------------------------
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/16/90)

Let me add a qualified endorsement of X-Cad designer. Its biggest feature
is its refresh speed. (I say qualified not because I am, but because this
endorsement comes with some caveats)

When I first saw X-Cad (on one of the first FlickerFixer boards) I was
really impressed. The demo was zooming around a very complex drawing of
an engine with speed that would make Aegis's Draw Plus faint. Of course
it was $600 and really wanted a FlickerFixer (another $900 when you
included the monitor). Which exceeded my "cheap CAD" budget. So I stuck
with Draw Plus, and later Draw 2000 which apparently I was sent on the
same day Aegis was closing their warehouse. Plus the Aegis programs
are not copy protected (yeah!) and that stupid dongle just really bothered
me. So Haitex said they were going to become the US representative for
X-CAD and they would drop copy protection, etc, etc. Well it never
happened, and of course Haitex seems to be Tango Uniform as well.

So when X-CAD designer came out I kept trying to figure out what it
*didn't* do that X-CAD did since it was so much cheaper and even to
this day can't say what that is. I do know that X-Cad Professional or
something is also out and a simple diff of the feature list is not
to revealing.

I sat down and learned X-Cad in about 3 hours of hacking with it and
the tutorial and found it to be klunky at first but more useful as
I got along with it. (Sorta like TECO but not as powerful) It seemed
to meet my needs for an inexpensive way to do CAD. Also using the PLT:
device for check plots is the way to go. That makes its output much
better than Draw Plus' on dot matrix printers.

	klunky and definitely has a european "twist" to it but once
	you get the mindset it makes more sense. After you are comfortable
	with the command line interface you will find less use for the
	mouse.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

mjsagar@sandia.gov (9123 SAGARTZ, MATHIAS J.) (03/16/90)

	Another option besides X-CAD is UltraDesign.  It appears to be a
big improvement over earlier Amiga CAD systems and seems to have a more
"Amigaish look and feel" than X-CAD.  It's available from Progressive
Peripherals and the street price should be in the $225 range.

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/20/90)

In article <14019@snow-white.udel.EDU> (9123 SAGARTZ, MATHIAS J.) writes:
>	Another option besides X-CAD is UltraDesign.  It appears to be a
>big improvement over earlier Amiga CAD systems and seems to have a more
>"Amigaish look and feel" than X-CAD.  It's available from Progressive
>Peripherals and the street price should be in the $225 range.

I've seen this product in the store but nobody I know has purchased it
yet. If anyone has used this program could they give a brief review
to the net? My first two questions about CAD programs these days are :
1) Is it copy protected ?
2) Can it preview to the printer ?

More subtle questions are :
3) What is the "part" support like ?
4) Are multiple layers supported ?
5) Is ARexx supported ? How well ?
6) What sort of part library can you build for this thing ?
7) Is the drawing format documented ? Can I convert it to AutoCAD ?
8) Can I use AutoCAD drawings ?
9) What sort of Text support is there ?
10) Are there any 3D aids ? Projections ?
11) Does it do chamfers? Cut to intersection ? Snap to nearest vertice?

Any information would be appreciated...