[comp.sys.amiga] Quick and Easy Question. What GURUs start with 87?

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (03/13/90)

[Line eater? What line ea

     Hi! I downloaded Nethack V3.0 PL7; it is being run by Angela on her
Amiga (1 meg RAM, one floppy). It works fine except that each time she exits,
she gets an 8700000... visit from the GURU. I've never gotten an 87000...
before. Does anybody know what it means?

                                                      - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor, LOW ORBIT | PLink: Skywise | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet |

addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) (03/13/90)

In article <14545@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>[Line eater? What line ea
>
>     Hi! I downloaded Nethack V3.0 PL7; it is being run by Angela on her
>Amiga (1 meg RAM, one floppy). It works fine except that each time she exits,
>she gets an 8700000... visit from the GURU. I've never gotten an 87000...
>before. Does anybody know what it means?
>
>                                                      - R'ykandar.
>--
>| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor, LOW ORBIT | PLink: Skywise | CIS 72406,370 |
>| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet |
>| "Careful, mom, the toys are loose!" - from The Wizard of Speed and Time |

OK, let's see...

The first digit 8 means it is a Dead End alert (meaning you have to re-boot).

The remaining 7 digits...

AN_DOSLib      7000000
AN_StartMem    7010001  No memory at startup
AN_EndTask     7000002  EndTask didn't
AN_QPktFail    7000003  Qpkt failure
AN_AsyncPkt    7000004  Unexpected packet received
AN_FreeVec     7000005  Freevec failed
AN_DiskBlkSeq  7000006  Disk block sequence error
AN_BitMap      7000007  Bitmap corrupt
AN_KeyFree     7000008  Key already free
AN_BadChkSum   7000009  Invalid checksum
AN_DiskError   700000A  Disk Error
AN_KeyRange    700000B  Key out of range
AN_BadOverlay  700000C  Bad overlay

Now, since your friend is running NetHack V3.0 PL7 on a 1 meg RAM system,
what you see might be related to tight memory.  Could you email me a
description of how your friend is running NetHack?  In particular, what
is in the Startup-Sequence?  How much free memory is there before she
runs NetHack?  We (the friendly people who helped bring the Amiga port
of NetHack up-to-date) really do want to make NetHack work for as many
people as possible.

--Richard Addison
addison@pollux.usc.edu

wakres01@pa.usl.edu (Stelly John B) (03/20/90)

In article <14545@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>[Line eater? What line ea
>
>     Hi! I downloaded Nethack V3.0 PL7; it is being run by Angela on her
>Amiga (1 meg RAM, one floppy). It works fine except that each time she exits,
>she gets an 8700000... visit from the GURU. I've never gotten an 87000...
>before. Does anybody know what it means?

The 8 means that it is a non-recoverable alert, and the 7 indicates that it
is in the DOS library...

John B Stelly III
wakres01@pa.usl.edu