[comp.sys.amiga] Substandard Amiga software from Oxxi

mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) (03/17/90)

Just got a flyer in the mail from Oxxi about some bugs
in their Tax Break software. Unfortunately my tax return
is in the mail and it's wrong!

Two things, these were really dumb bugs. OK, all software has
bugs but I can't believe the tax software for IBM and Mac has
these kind of dumb bugs. Two, the fix consisted of instructions
on how to alter the tax break files using a text editor. No
replacement software, no patch files etc. just a piece of
paper. This is simply not acceptable for general purpose
software.

FYI: the bugs effect tax returns where line 37 is between $3,000
and $30,001. You have (or thought you had), a FICA refund. You
or your spouse were self employed and filed schedules SE and C
You or your spouse is a self employed farmer and filed schedules
SE and F. So maybe none of their testers were farmers :-)

Ok you have probably guessed by now that the reason I am so
mad is that I am not going to get the refund tax break said
I was, Unless of course the IRS computers have the same bugs :-)

This is not going to help the Amiga's reputation for
sub standard software. And next year I'll be using my IBM clone
for my taxes.

Martin.

--
+====================================================================+
| Martin Warnett          | uucp:   ...sun!claris!wet!mcw            |

weindlin@cell.mot.COM (Mark L. Weindling) (03/19/90)

mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) writes:

>Just got a flyer in the mail from Oxxi about some bugs
>in their Tax Break software. Unfortunately my tax return
>is in the mail and it's wrong!

>This is not going to help the Amiga's reputation for
>sub standard software. And next year I'll be using my IBM clone
>for my taxes.

I recently had the bad sense to purchase MaxiPlan Plus from a local dealer.
It turned out to be an old version (1.8g, as a matter of fact).  No problem,
thought I, just call Oxxi and arrange for an upgrade.  I was (and am) perfectly
willing to pay a minor fee to do so.

So I called Oxxi long distance, during the day, several times.  Their line was
busy.  That can happen.  When I finally do get through, I get an answering
machine.  I leave a message with my home and work numbers (both with answering
machines).  I ask them to return my call.  I get no response.  I try again.

After several days of waiting, I call their BBS, also in California.  I left a
message with the sysop, as requested.  No response.  Several days later, I left
another message.  These messages included my name, problem, product, serial
number, home and work addresses and phone numbers and E-mail address.  They
have not responded.

Meanwhile, I am stuck with an spreadsheet so buggy as to be unworkable, and no
product support.  This will certainly be the last time I purchase a product from
Oxxi or Intuitive Technologies.  Such companies will be the ruin of the Amiga,
no matter WHAT miracles Commodore is able to perform.

				-Mark Weindling

.signature under construction.

In article <1017@wet.UUCP> mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) writes:
>Just got a flyer in the mail from Oxxi about some bugs
>in their Tax Break software. Unfortunately my tax return
>is in the mail and it's wrong!
>
>Two things, these were really dumb bugs. OK, all software has
>bugs but I can't believe the tax software for IBM and Mac has
>these kind of dumb bugs. Two, the fix consisted of instructions
>on how to alter the tax break files using a text editor. No
>replacement software, no patch files etc. just a piece of
>paper. This is simply not acceptable for general purpose
>software.

	I agree with you. They should fix it, not you.

>This is not going to help the Amiga's reputation for
>sub standard software. And next year I'll be using my IBM clone
>for my taxes.

	Although the program shouldn't have had those bugs, if you
think that the IBM world is free from bugs you haven't been in the IBM
world! Admittedly, some software is very well written and tested, but
there is enough that isn't. Just look around. Major companies like Fox
Software put out programs that can't evaluate int() correctly! The
Amiga may CRASH more often, but bugs are everywhere.

>Martin.
>
>--
>+====================================================================+
>| Martin Warnett          | uucp:   ...sun!claris!wet!mcw            |
>| San Francisco, CA       |         claris!wet!mcw@ames.arc.nasa.gov |
>+====================================================================+

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

	"I'm a politician. I lie and steal. When I'm not kissing
babies I'm stealing their lollipops"
		-- Red October (probably mungled)

	"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold
fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

tep@tots.UUCP (Tom Perrine) (03/20/90)

In article <1017@wet.UUCP> mcw@wet.UUCP (Martin Warnett) writes:
>Just got a flyer in the mail from Oxxi about some bugs
>in their Tax Break software. Unfortunately my tax return
>is in the mail and it's wrong!
>
>Ok you have probably guessed by now that the reason I am so
>mad is that I am not going to get the refund tax break said
>I was, Unless of course the IRS computers have the same bugs :-)

I'm not a lawyer or a tax wiz and I know this isn't net.irs.rip-off,
but on the subject of using your Amiga for tax purposes...

You can file an amended tax return up to several years later. I'm not
a tax wiz, but I would strongly recommend that you file such a return
ASAP. Just in case the IRS decides to audit you or impose other
penalties. In any case, hold on to the flyer you got and make it part
of your tax records for this year, in case they come after you next
year, etc.

When I use software for anything that may have legal ramifications
(wills, taxes, contract WP), I keep not only the data disk, but the
actual floopy disk that holds the exact version of the program that I
used to produce the information. If there is an audit later, and there
is a bug, I have evidence that there was an error in the program. It's
not perfect, but would probably be admissible on a "best evidence"
ruling, and is at least indicative of error, as opposed to fraud.

Tom Perrine (tep)
Logicon (Tactical and Training Systems Division) San Diego CA (619) 455-1330
Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM		GENIE: T.PERRINE
UUCP: nosc!hamachi!tots!tep -or- sun!suntan!tots!tep