[comp.sys.amiga] unexecutables

jms@romana.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (03/20/90)

In article <27276@cup.portal.com> phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
>I had another strange thing happen to me.
>the executables in the first partition were not
>recognized by the operating sytem as executable!
>My first partition on the 2000 is FFS.

The old file system completely ignored all the protection bits except for
the D bit (for Deleteable files).  FFS honors more bits.  Files with the
R bit off are not readable.  Files with the E bit off are not executable.

Do a LIST on the unexecutable object files.  If they don't say R and E, then
that is your problem.  Use the PROTECT command to set the right bits.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms