[comp.sys.amiga] Shell vs CLI

mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Gordon) (02/22/90)

Using info on the icons on my workbench disk seems to show that both Shell and
CLI run the same program, namely System/CLI. My question is how does CLI know
whether to start up a Shell or a CLI? Is it the path the program is called by,
the type of icon or something completely different?

AdvTHANKSance

--
Michael Gordon - mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk OR ee.ed.ac.uk

You can't have everything - where would you put it? -- Steven Wright

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (03/19/90)

In article <2426@castle.ed.ac.uk> mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Gordon) writes:
>Using info on the icons on my workbench disk seems to show that both Shell and
>CLI run the same program, namely System/CLI. My question is how does CLI know
>whether to start up a Shell or a CLI?

If you select Info from the Workbench menu, you can see that the CLI
icon is a Tool icon.  The Shell icon is a Project icon.

When you click on the CLI icon, Workbench launches the CLI program and
tells it that it has been invoked without any other arguments.

When you click on the Shell icon, Workbench locates the apropriate tool
(program) to process this project (data file).  In this case, the CLI
program is given the name of the data file, Workbench:Shell.  This
additional piece of information is what SYS:System/CLI uses to decide
whether to create a new CLI or a new Shell.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

d88-skl@nada.kth.se (Stellan Klebom) (03/20/90)

In article <962@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>In article <2426@castle.ed.ac.uk> mfg@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Gordon) writes:
>>Using info on the icons on my workbench disk seems to show that both Shell and
>>CLI run the same program, namely System/CLI. My question is how does CLI know
>>whether to start up a Shell or a CLI?

>When you click on the CLI icon, Workbench launches the CLI program and
>tells it that it has been invoked without any other arguments.
>
>When you click on the Shell icon, Workbench locates the apropriate tool
>(program) to process this project (data file).  In this case, the CLI
>program is given the name of the data file, Workbench:Shell.  This
>additional piece of information is what SYS:System/CLI uses to decide
>whether to create a new CLI or a new Shell.

The true answer is that if you execute the line "Resident CLI L:Shell-Seg
SYSTEM add", SYS:System/CLI will always start a shell. Use the alias command
in the started shells to verify that. The difference is which of CON: or
NEWCON: that is used.

        Stellan

E-Mail: UUNET: d88-skl@nada.kth.se      * #include <std-disclaimer.h>
	UUCP:  uunet!sunic!nada!d88-skl *
                                        * You'll never now,
Snail-Mail: Stellan Klebom              * tomorrow may be cancelled!
            Axvaegen 6                  *
            S-175 44 JAERFAELLA         *
            SWEDEN                      * (Yet another intelligent statement)