[comp.sys.amiga] 2091/Turbo Silver problems

" Seaman) (03/20/90)

After discovering the incompatibility between Turbo and the 2091 controller
software, and reading some of the discussion on the net, I tried a little
experiment this weekend.  I wrote a small, brute force program to display
and/or set address 0.  Sure enough, after booting, the value of address 0
WAS non-zero, so I tried clearing it.  Turbo loaded with no trouble, and
everything else appeared to be working properly (I was able to build some
simple objects, trace them, and save to the hard disk).

My questions:

Does anyone (preferably someone who worked on the 2091 driver) know why
the driver writes to address 0?  What are the potential consequences of
clearing the value? (I perceived no difference when I did this).  Has anyone
else tried this, and, if so, what has your experience been?

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /o  -- -- --
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |||    -- -- -        I'm Outta Here!

steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) (03/20/90)

In article <2424@cpsc6a.att.com> crs@cpsc6a.att.com (Chris "I'm Outta Here!" Seaman) writes:

>Does anyone (preferably someone who worked on the 2091 driver) know why
>the driver writes to address 0?  What are the potential consequences of

Actually, it`s not the 2091 driver at all.  The problem is with the filing
system that was stored in the rigid disk block.  A diagnostic version managed
to get installed instead of the real version.  To fix the problem just
fire up hdtoolbox and enter the "change filesystem for parition" screen.
Delete the filing system that`s there and add L:FastFileSysstem (make sure
you have it before you delete the original).  Save changes to drive and
everything will be fixed.

	Steve

--
 / __	    __	   \	Commodore/Amiga Inc.	|       This space left