[comp.sys.amiga] Rumors

zmacv14@doc.ic.ac.uk (C P Brown) writes:

>*flame on*

>Please can we have a bit less rumour / counter rumour and misinformation in
>c.s.a. All I seem to read about is various opinions on the A3000, the
>Infinity Machine and expected A1000 compatibility problems. Please can we
>confine new hardware announcements until the genuine article has been seen
>or made available to the public, not simple speculation thinly veiled as
>information.

>*flame off*

Sorry but I like reading the 'rumors'. Well, not the outright misinformation
but I do like reading speculations of upcoming hardware such as the 3000.
It makes for interesting discussions. I think of it as technological
forcasting. If someone hears of some interesting tidbit, by all means
tell us. If it is misinformation, most of the time someone else will
recognise it as such and correct it. This is the way we learn new
information (one way at least). Most people who post these 'rumors'
do so with the statement attached that they are rumors, not to be
taken as gospel. Most of us are intelligent enough to recognise that
a rumor is not a fact. But more than once, the rumors have been proven
over time to be at least based in truth, and the ensuing discussion on
the net has separated the truth from the fiction.

There have been a lot of net.policemen trying to state what should and should
not be posted to the net. Such as 'too many discussions about games' and
'too many games and big files coming over comp.binaries/sources.amiga' and
'don't post rumors'. I will add my own two cents and say that if it has to
do with the Amiga, then a person has a right to discuss it in this newsgroup.
If you don't like the subject of the discussion then don't read it, or
in the case of comp.bin/sources: don't download it.

But don't try to tell us what we can and cannot do or talk about within the
guidelines of this newsgroup (or any other one) as set up when this group
was created. Actually even this posting probably counts as a net.police
message. I shouldn't have to post such a thing. But someone has to
speak up around here. Think of me as a net.freedom-fighter :-)

>Thanks for reading this,

ditto.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406