[comp.sys.amiga] Fat Agnus

SS24766%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bryan Stover) (04/27/89)

It was reported on last Saturday's PBS "Computer Chronicles" program that
CBM had the previous week released the "Fat Angus (sic) chip" to provide
one meg of "graphics RAM" for the Amiga.

Who's got it? How many dinero? Has this lamb seen its shadow?

CHEERS! BSTOVER   (SS24766@UAFSYSB.BITNET)

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (04/28/89)

>CBM had the previous week released the "Fat Angus (sic) chip" to provide
>one meg of "graphics RAM" for the Amiga.

>Who's got it? How many dinero? Has this lamb seen its shadow?

Another couplea questions.

1) Are new systems shipping with this Agnus chip?

2) How would one tell this is the chip in the new system he buys before
   the sale is complete.

See in as how I'm still planning on getting a new AMIGA soon.

Dave S.

rodd@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Dorman) (05/04/89)

In article <2030182@hpcilzb.HP.COM> daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:
>2) How would one tell this is the chip in the new system he buys before
>   the sale is complete.

Have the bill of sale state exactly what you think you are buying, i.e.
Kickstart 1.3 ROMs, 1meg Fat Agnus, etc.

					-- Rod --

Rod Dorman						rodd@dasys1.uucp
Big Electric Cat Public Unix
	"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't"

WF24741%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bill Farmer) (06/16/89)

My dealer announced that he had received his first shipment of the new
one meg Fat Agnus chips.  He says all of the current machines are now
shipping with this new chip.  Before I shell out the >$100 for the new
chip, does anybody know if CBM is planning any reduced price to upgrade from
our older 512K agnes chips?  I called CBM customer support but they didn't
really know what this new chip was....what's new?   Anybody heard?

Bill Farmer
University of Arkansas, Campus Activities Center
WF24741@UAFSYSB.BITNET

root@dialog.UUCP (Christian Motz) (06/19/89)

In article <17836@louie.udel.EDU> WF24741%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bill Farmer) writes:
>My dealer announced that he had received his first shipment of the new
>one meg Fat Agnus chips.  He says all of the current machines are now
>shipping with this new chip.

True, very true, and the latest machines don't even have the incompatibility
problem the early Rev. 6 board used to have.

>Before I shell out the >$100 for the new
>chip, does anybody know if CBM is planning any reduced price to upgrade from
>our older 512K agnes chips?  I called CBM customer support but they didn't
>really know what this new chip was....

That figures. But I wouldn't count on *ANYTHING* from Commodore. Remember
the upgrade deal from the A1000 to the A2000? The upgrade offer from the
A2000A to the A2000B? How about their offer to trade in your A2090 for an
A2090A? What? You don't remember any of it? Well, I suppose it is because
there never were any offers like this ...

--
Christian Motz       uucp: ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!pfm!nadia!dialog!root
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" -- Sledge Hammer         Bix: cmotz

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (06/28/89)

$
$True, very true, and the latest machines don't even have the incompatibility
$problem the early Rev. 6 board used to have.

What problem was this, please?

$In article <17836@louie.udel.EDU> WF24741%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bill Farmer) writes:
$>Before I shell out the >$100 for the new
$>chip, does anybody know if CBM is planning any reduced price to upgrade from
$>our older 512K agnes chips?  I called CBM customer support but they didn't
$>really know what this new chip was....

That surprises me, although our Customer Support is NOT Technical Support.
That should be provided by the dealers.  Do you recall who you spoke to, Bill?
I would like to enlighten the person.

In article <935@dialog.UUCP> root@dialog.UUCP (Christian Motz) writes:
$That figures. But I wouldn't count on *ANYTHING* from Commodore.

Such as free support on usenet?

Do you have anything constructive to say?  I guess you can't count on the fact
that we have delivered around a million Amigas either.

$Remember the upgrade deal from the A1000 to the A2000?

Which was highly successful, and ran for months longer than it was originally
intended due to demand.  We also sent a mailing to all registered A1000 owners.

$The upgrade offer from the A2000A to the A2000B? How about their offer to trade in
$your A2090 for an $A2090A? What? You don't remember any of it? Well, I suppose it is
$because there never were any offers like this ...

You're correct.  Commodore has never made offers like this, so what is your point?
The A2090B autobooting card for the A2090 (not A) will be available soon, allowing
an A2090 owner to inexpensively add the autobooting capability of the A2090A.

	Paul.

protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) (06/29/89)

I had to jump into the conversation after reading one sentence
by Paul Higginbottom.  He wrote that C= sent out a mailing to
all A1000 owners.  I assume since in the previous sentence
he was talking about the A1000 -> A2000 upgrade that this 'ghost'
mailing was concerning just that.  So where is (was) my mailing?
I bought one of the orignal A1000's (you know, not even EHB) and
I paid an outragous price for it.  I didn't get so much as a
Christmas card (let alone a mailing telling me I could upgrade)
from Commodore.  Maybe they were just sent out in the U.S. were
they?  This is the first I've heard of the mailing ... did anyone
else miss out on this?  By they way ... YES ... I did send in my
registration cards immediately after I set up my computer ( way
back in ... hmmmm ... 1986).
------------------------------
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (06/30/89)

]
] ------------------------------
] Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
] NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
] 613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

As you guessed, the offer was not available in Canada.  The different
C= operating companies make a lot of their own decisions & that was
one of them.
--
Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)
hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor

root@dialog.UUCP (Christian Motz) (06/30/89)

In article <7154@cbmvax.UUCP> higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) writes:

>What problem was this, please?

We posted the problem a while back on comp.sys.amiga.tech, and even wrote to
Dave Haynie about it. Obviously various memory expansion cards (including
the A2052) didn't work properly in the new Rev. 6 (the one with the hard-
ware hack, the small upside-down PCB on the board). The Rev. 6 released
now have this small PCB replaced by a single chip, and now there are no
longer any problems.

>Such as free support on usenet?

Which is alright, hell no, *GREAT*. But you have to understand that it is
simply *FRUSTRATING* for a customer when he buys his equipment for a lot
of money and sees a couple of months later that the company upgrades the
part he bought in a way that it can't be done with his machine.

>Do you have anything constructive to say?  I guess you can't count on the fact
>that we have delivered around a million Amigas either.

Most of which are A500s and were sold here in Germany. If it weren't for the
German customers, I seriously doubt the Amiga would have been such a success
in sales. Interestingly enough, Commodore Germany is probably the affiliate
with the largest sales and the worst support. This (and probably the stupid
but successful marketing of CBM Germany) is why the Amiga still has the flair
of the C64 (which it is actually replacing in the market). The A 2000 is
usually bought by rich parents for their spoiled little brats, so that they
can brag about it in the neighborhood. Very few people buy the A 2000 for
"serious" applications, and the reason for this is exactly what I cited:
The A 2000 has a rather bad name, for the various reasons I cited in my
article before. Add to that the usually rather uninterested dealers, and
you have the worst combination you can get.

>$Remember the upgrade deal from the A1000 to the A2000?
>
>Which was highly successful, and ran for months longer than it was originally
>intended due to demand.  We also sent a mailing to all registered A1000 owners.

Ok, ok, so I goofed up on that one -- but that is probably because this
offer was only made in the U.S. and not here in Germany. If it was made
here also, Commodore Germany probably made sure nobody heard about it.
I was already corrected on that by John Schilling (CBM-QA) via mail (ugh-
Usenet is fast -- it took the message only 16 hours from cbmvax to my
system here in Germany).

Don't get me wrong: I *LIKE* my Amiga. There are times when I could throw
it out the window, but that would be the same with any other computer
(probably more so with an IBM). My current configuration reflects that,
'cause I now have a brandnew Rev. 6 /w 2090A and two 40 MByte Harddisks.
My only plea to you guys is, never to do anything like the 2000A/B and
2090/2090A thing again. I don't have anything against upgrades that can
be installed in older systems also, but I hate it when I have to buy
complete new equipment to get up-to-date with my hardware (besides, I
can't really afford it), and I suppose I am not the only one.

--

alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) (07/05/89)

In article <751@censor.UUCP>, hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) writes:
> In article <685@bnr-fos.UUCP>, protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) writes:
> ] he was talking about the A1000 -> A2000 upgrade that this 'ghost'
> ] mailing was concerning just that.  So where is (was) my mailing?
>
> As you guessed, the offer was not available in Canada.  The different
> C= operating companies make a lot of their own decisions & that was
> one of them.

What I did, and I don't know how many Canadians did, was bring the serial
number and receipt to a U.S. dealer (for the A1000), buy the A2000 for
$1000, and buy back the A1000 for $300, then sell the A1000 back in Canada.
In my case, I had the dealer ship me the A2000. I also bought a hard disk
from them to sweeten their end. But I bought my A2090 in Canada. I believe
a lot of phone/mail order houses said they would do the same for me, but I
went with a dealer so that they would check out my system before shipping.
The phone/mail order houses I think didn't care what country you were from.
(But that's only a rumour)

What was nice also was that, at the time, the Canadian dealers were selling
European A2000's and the U.S. dealers weren't.

--
Alex Laney, Xicom Technologies Corp., Ottawa, Canada (613) 728-9099
uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex (NOT alex@xicom)     Fax: (613) 728-1134

MFM1%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (mark masters) (07/15/89)

Sorry about that blank message before this one, I hit the wrong key.
I couldn't find a name for who sent an earlier message, but I aggree
that the new chips should be publically available.  For one thing I
don't know of a dealer near to me.  The second is that I am quite
capable of installing the chips myself.  I voided my warrenty long
ago when the mouse input died.
Basically, I would like to know if the Obese Agnus is available now
and where and for how much I could get if for?
Mark.

akcs.slippery_jim@tronsbox.UUCP (slippery_jim) (03/22/90)

I Just Recently Perchased My Amiga. And Am Finding This Sytem Difficult.
Oh well. The Hardships Of Life. Nevertheless I Have A Question World.
How DO I Know If The Fat Agnus Chip IS The 1 Meg Version. And If It IS How
Do I Modify It TO Work AT 1 Meg And Not 512. It Is Confusing Me A Bit.
All I Am Concerned With Is Seeing The Full Capabilities Of The A500.

Oh Yeah Almost Forgot. I DOnt Want To Spend A Penny. (To Modify The Chip)

I Hear There Is A PD Prg That Can Do This FOr Me.

_

uunet!tornsbox!slippery_jim

Thanks.