[comp.sys.amiga] HD Install for It Came from the Desert

eric@pyramid.pyramid.com (Eric Bergan) (03/22/90)

	Has anyone successfully installed "It Came From the Desert" on a
hard disk? I've tried following the instructions that came with the game,
but when I try and start it up, it ends up rebooting the machine, and since
they have the disk 1 in df0:, it does start up, but runs strictly from
floppies. Am I missing something here? The game looks nice, but there
are enough disk accesses to make me not want to play it from floppies.

	Thanks.

--

					eric
					...!pyramid!eric

veenu@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (veenu.r.rashid) (03/23/90)

In article <106341@pyramid.pyramid.com> eric@pyramid.pyramid.com (Eric Bergan) writes:

>	Has anyone successfully installed "It Came From the Desert" on a
>hard disk? I've tried following the instructions that came with the game,
>but when I try and start it up, it ends up rebooting the machine, and since
>they have the disk 1 in df0:, it does start up, but runs strictly from
>floppies. Am I missing something here? The game looks nice, but there
>are enough disk accesses to make me not want to play it from floppies.

<space for the line-eater..>

Ok.  The problem with the program is that all the references to df0:
are hardcoded within the code.  There are 2 files with references to
df0: (I don't know which ones offhand).  However, a good sector editor
	(one of 'em's 'hdesert')
like Filemaster or NewZap can be used to change all occurrences of df0:
to des: (or whatever else you want to use).  Then you can write a simple
shell script to run the program:

	assign des: dh0:Games/Desert
	cd des:
	hdesert