[comp.sys.amiga] HELP! Info on MAXTOR XT-1085 needed.

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) (03/14/90)

Hi Net!

I just picked up a hard drive and I need some info since I have no
documentation on it at all.  Here is what I do know...

Maker:		MAXTOR
Model:  	XT-1085
Capacity:	85 Meg
Number Heads:	6 (I think)
Number Tracks:	956+ (Highest track number on bad block list)
TLA:		1091205 A
HDA:		1050490
PCBA:		1059055 H18

What I need to know is:

Max Track Number:
Number of Heads:
Number of Blocks:
Size of Blocks:
Avg Access time:

Anything else I missed.  The first two numbers are the really needed
ones, the rest I can figure out or aren't really important.  I haven't
tried calling MAXTOR themselves, since this drive is probably about 5
years old, but a free drive is nothing ot snear at...

Thanks for your help!  Please email to me, don't reply to the lists!

John Stoffel
john@wpi.wpi.edu
john@wpi.bitnet

In <9641@wpi.wpi.edu>, john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:
>Hi Net!
>
>I just picked up a hard drive and I need some info since I have no
>documentation on it at all.  Here is what I do know...
>
>Maker:		MAXTOR
>Model:  	XT-1085
>Capacity:	85 Meg
>Number Heads:	6 (I think)
>Number Tracks:	956+ (Highest track number on bad block list)
>TLA:		1091205 A
>HDA:		1050490
>PCBA:		1059055 H18

Model       XT-1085
Interface    ST-506
Rec. method     MFM
Phys size      5.25 FH
Capacity         71 meg  (the 85 meg figure is unformatted capacity)
Cylinders      1024
Heads             8
Red. Wr Curr.  1025
Wr. PreComp    1025
Xfer Rate         5 Mbits/sec
Avg Seek         28 Ms
Sec/track        17

--
Entomology bugs me.

thomas@uplog.se (Thomas Tornblom) (03/21/90)

In article <1274@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

   Model       XT-1085
   Interface    ST-506
   Rec. method     MFM
   Phys size      5.25 FH
   Capacity         71 meg  (the 85 meg figure is unformatted capacity)

Note that these drives work OK with a 2.7 RLL controller. We tested
a few with Adaptec ACB-4070 controllers. Will give you 50% more capacity
or about 105 Mb.
--
Real life:	Thomas Tornblom		Email:	thomas@uplog.se
Snail mail:	TeleLOGIC Uppsala AB		Phone:	+46 18 189406

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (03/22/90)

In article <1274@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
|In <9641@wpi.wpi.edu>, john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:
|>Hi Net!
|>
|>I just picked up a hard drive and I need some info since I have no
|>documentation on it at all.  Here is what I do know...
|>[...]
|

|Model       XT-1085
|Interface    ST-506
|Rec. method     MFM
|Phys size      5.25 FH
|Capacity         71 meg  (the 85 meg figure is unformatted capacity)
|Cylinders      1024
|Heads             8
|Red. Wr Curr.  1025
|Wr. PreComp    1025
|Xfer Rate         5 Mbits/sec
|Avg Seek         28 Ms
|Sec/track        17

	Since the XT-1xxx Maxtor series use
	plated media, they work reliably as
	RLL-encoded drives. I've been using
	a couple of XT-1085's set up as RLL
	for quite some time with no trouble
	(except for the general noise which
	Maxtors produce 8^).

	Rec. method     RLL
	Xfer Rate       7.5 Mbits/sec
	Capacity        105 meg
	Sec/track        25

	This information should work fine also
	for XT-2xxx series and Newbury drives
	with similar model numbers, as far as
	I know...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (03/22/90)

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>         Since the XT-1xxx Maxtor series use
>         plated media, they work reliably as
>         RLL-encoded drives. I've been using
>         a couple of XT-1085's set up as RLL
>         for quite some time with no trouble
>         (except for the general noise which
>         Maxtors produce 8^).
>
>         Rec. method     RLL
>         Xfer Rate       7.5 Mbits/sec
>         Capacity        105 meg
>         Sec/track        25

Yow!  I've got an XT-1085 hooked up in my Sun2 cluster, and I'm rather
low on disk space.  Does anyone know of an Adaptec-like SCSI<->ST506
card that will let me use RLL?  Alternatively, does anyone know how to
coerce the ordinary Adaptec cards shiped w/ Sun2s to use RRL?
--
Doug.deJ | dd26@andrew.cmu.edu             | Carnegie-Mellon University
******** | ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!dd26 | Do not attend this college.

bbaker@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Baker) (03/23/90)

In article <ca2BpN600UgyQ0Zh8a@andrew.cmu.edu> dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) writes:
> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
> >         Since the XT-1xxx Maxtor series use
> >         plated media, they work reliably as
> >         RLL-encoded drives. I've been using
> >         a couple of XT-1085's set up as RLL
> >         for quite some time with no trouble
> >         (except for the general noise which
> >         Maxtors produce 8^).
> >
> >         Rec. method     RLL
> >         Xfer Rate       7.5 Mbits/sec
> >         Capacity        105 meg
> >         Sec/track        25
>
> Yow!  I've got an XT-1085 hooked up in my Sun2 cluster, and I'm rather
> low on disk space.  Does anyone know of an Adaptec-like SCSI<->ST506
> card that will let me use RLL?  Alternatively, does anyone know how to
> coerce the ordinary Adaptec cards shiped w/ Sun2s to use RRL?
> --

Yes, Adapted makes the 4070 card which is the RLL version of the 4000,
SCSI to ST506. One source is Computer Surplus, as advertised in
Computer Shopper.

In <ca2BpN600UgyQ0Zh8a@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) writes:
>bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>>         Since the XT-1xxx Maxtor series use
>>         plated media, they work reliably as
>>         RLL-encoded drives. I've been using
>>         a couple of XT-1085's set up as RLL
>>         for quite some time with no trouble
>>         (except for the general noise which
>>         Maxtors produce 8^).
>>
>>         Rec. method     RLL
>>         Xfer Rate       7.5 Mbits/sec
>>         Capacity        105 meg
>>         Sec/track        25
>
>Yow!  I've got an XT-1085 hooked up in my Sun2 cluster, and I'm rather
>low on disk space.  Does anyone know of an Adaptec-like SCSI<->ST506
>card that will let me use RLL?  Alternatively, does anyone know how to
>coerce the ordinary Adaptec cards shiped w/ Sun2s to use RRL?

The Adaptec 4070 is a SCSI->ST506 RLL controller. The Adaptec 4000 controller
shipped with the Sun 2 cannot be made to run RLL. 4070s are available fairly
cheaply.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

In <THOMAS.90Mar21100049@uplog.uplog.se>, thomas@uplog.se (Thomas Tornblom) writes:
>In article <1274@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>
>   Model       XT-1085
>   Interface    ST-506
>   Rec. method     MFM
>   Phys size      5.25 FH
>   Capacity         71 meg  (the 85 meg figure is unformatted capacity)
>

>Note that these drives work OK with a 2.7 RLL controller. We tested
>a few with Adaptec ACB-4070 controllers. Will give you 50% more capacity
>or about 105 Mb.

Note also that if one of these drives does not work well with a 4070 (or any
other RLL controller), that you will have a hard time convincing the
manufacturer to do anything about it under warranty (unless the XT-1085 is
recognized by Maxtor as RLL capable).

As with other things of this nature, it will probably work, but you are on your
own for supprt.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.