[comp.sys.amiga] Cshell 4.01a

I just wanted to post a public thanks to Tad (for sending it thru) and
the Authors of Cshell 4.01a that recently came through on c.b.amiga.

This program is great, I have found no bugs yet. It makes your CLI look
like a cross between the best of AmigaDOS and Unix. All the commands are
resident, eliminating most of the C: directory, and giving you more commands.

and more! more! more!
and it's all packed into one file (two if you count the arp.library) so there
is no messy installation.

Again, thanks!

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>This program is great, I have found no bugs yet.

that'll teach me to check before I post!

Actually it's not a bug, but there is something strange I noticed about
Cshell 4.01a:

When you use Dir (ls) on a write protected diskette, the system pops up
a 'disk is write protected, retry, cancel' requestor. The dir command
is built into the shell program so I don't *think* it could be infected
with some virus. Other commands don't cause the requestor to pop up.

What is dir trying to write to the disk? I click cancel and it seems
to go on normally and gives me a dir. Is it a bug, virus or feature?

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406
A virtuous life is its own punishment.

salan@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Salim Alam) (03/21/90)

I've spent hours trying to figure out some of the wierdness
of CShell4.01A.

My config is a 500 w/1 M, 1.2, 2 floppy drives, Trumpcard controller,
Seagate hard drive.

My .login shell script has a command to run QMouse.  The script
executes all right, but when it reaches the end, the prompt doesn't
come up.  If I type anything, it is displayed, but ignored.  If I remove
the Qmouse command from the script, everything works fine.

Also, if I try to run some programs using the 1.3 ARP run command, the
shell exits after running the program!

I'm switching back to 3.01.

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (03/22/90)

In article <3275@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU>, salan@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Salim Alam) writes:

> My .login shell script has a command to run QMouse.  The script
> executes all right, but when it reaches the end, the prompt doesn't
> come up.  If I type anything, it is displayed, but ignored.  If I remove
> the Qmouse command from the script, everything works fine.

I've never used QMouse and haven't tried CSH-401a yet, but I'm wondering what
need there is for a mouse accelerator in a shell? Try putting it in your
S:startup-sequence and it should be there for anything that is running,
including the shells (atleast DMouse does), and it wont mess up your .login.
Good Luck.
				    Mike

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

>sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>When you use Dir (ls) on a write protected diskette, the system pops up
>a 'disk is write protected, retry, cancel' requestor. The dir command
>is built into the shell program so I don't *think* it could be infected
>with some virus. Other commands don't cause the requestor to pop up.

Kent Polk wrote me to tell me that this does not occur on his copy of
Cshell 4.01a, now I DO have something to worry about. I also have some
more checking to do. I am at work and can't experiment right now, but
I will do so tonight and see what happens.

Basically, I have Cshell on an ARP 1.3 diskette with crossdos (readonly demo,
that's why the disks were considered write-protected). also have virus X 3.2
running in the background. Whenever I did a 'dir b:' I got a requestor
that said the disk is write protected. Stupid me, I haven't tried it on
a normal amigados write-protected disk yet. I will do so tonight. It
might just be some wierd conflict between crossdos and the shell.
But it only did it when using the shell dir command. It's part of
the shell program itself so I can't see it being infected with a virus
without the whole shell program being infected and it doesn't seem like it
is.
--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406
We are the people our parents warned us about.

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>>When you use Dir (ls) on a write protected diskette, the system pops up
>>a 'disk is write protected, retry, cancel' requestor. The dir command

>Kent Polk wrote me to tell me that this does not occur on his copy of
>Cshell 4.01a, now I DO have something to worry about. I also have some

I checked it out last night. The requestor only pops up when trying to
read an MSDOS disk using the read-only demo version of Cross-Dos while
in Cshell 4.01a. Crossdos works fine from a normal CLI, and Cshell has
no problem when accessing a write-protected AmigaDos diskette.

Just a strange bug. I can live with it.