[comp.sys.amiga] quick/slow posting

davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) (03/21/90)

Tad Guy (tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov) wrote:
} I would expect more lossage from a quick series of postings than a
} slow series since the quick one is likely to overflow disks somewhere.

I agree with you here.  But what often happens in a slow series of postings
is that people see 9 out of 10 parts and *panic*.  You then see a bunch
of "I'm missing part 10" messages, but no one seems to admit they jumped
the gun when part 10 comes dribbling in the following day.

So, when (if) you switch over to a "metered posting" method, be sure to
let people know that they have to start being patient.
--
Wayne Davison           \  /| / /| \/ /| /(_)    davison%drivax@uts.amdahl.com
davison@drivax.UUCP    (_)/ |/ /\| / / |/  \         ...!amdahl!drivax!davison

steve@digibd (Steve Wahl) (03/23/90)

In article <LRJGKNP@drivax.UUCP> davison@drivax.UUCP (Wayne Davison) writes:
>Tad Guy (tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov) wrote:
>} I would expect more lossage from a quick series of postings than a
>} slow series since the quick one is likely to overflow disks somewhere.
>
>I agree with you here.  But what often happens in a slow series of postings
>is that people see 9 out of 10 parts and *panic*.  You then see a bunch
>of "I'm missing part 10" messages, but no one seems to admit they jumped
>the gun when part 10 comes dribbling in the following day.
>
>So, when (if) you switch over to a "metered posting" method, be sure to
>let people know that they have to start being patient.
>--
>Wayne Davison           \  /| / /| \/ /| /(_)    davison%drivax@uts.amdahl.com
>davison@drivax.UUCP    (_)/ |/ /\| / / |/  \         ...!amdahl!drivax!davison

Small suggestion: try this for trickle posting of multiple part
series:

> Subject: Whizbang graphics generater part 9 of 99
> Date: Jan 8, 1995

Of course, not necessarily in this format.  The point is, when a
moderator has something to distribute, he has all the parts, and if
something's going to be trickle-posted, he can probably schedule when
each part is going to be posted BEFORE he posts the first part.  If
there was some indication of a) when this part is posted, and b) when
to expect the next part to be posted, one could use a third piece of
data, c) the date on the most recent posting from
comp.(binaries|sources).amiga that I can find on my system, to decide
if the next part is still comming (b >= c) or probably got lost (c >
b).

Certainly, even if such a process is implemented, I offer no
guarantees whatsoever that people who panic now at 9 parts of 10
wouldn't ignore all this information anyway and continue to panic.
But it might help some...

--> Steve
--

Steve Wahl               uunet!digibd!steve
DigiBoard Inc.

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar22.191314.10392@digibd> steve@digibd (Steve Wahl) writes:
> The point is, when a moderator has something to distribute, he has all the
> parts, and if something's going to be trickle-posted, he can probably
> schedule when each part is going to be posted BEFORE he posts the first
> part.

This isn't true in my case, since the shipping of the articles depends on the
amount of free disk space available on xanth, which could (and has) delayed
postings unpredictably.

> I offer no guarantees whatsoever that people who panic now at 9 parts of 10
> wouldn't ignore all this information anyway and continue to panic.

And we'll taunt them to no ends... :-)

	...tad