[comp.sys.amiga] Ultracard

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/12/89)

In article <769@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>Is there a price, company name, address and phone number
>where one can gain some additional information about this Ultra Card?
>Also what kind of system does it require and what kind of system would
>work compfortably with it? (i.e. is hard drive recommended?)

UltraCard can run on a 512K Amiga with a single floppy, but of course
reading stacks is much quicker on a hard disk.  Note: UltraCard provides
hypertext capabilities on the Amiga; it does NOT read Mac stacks.

The address in the manual is:
	Intuitive Technologies
	2700 Garden Road Suite 6
	Monterey, CA 93940
	(408)646-9147
Price is around $50.  (You'll have to call to get details on shipping
charges, tax, etc.)
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP (Robin C. LaPasha) (07/13/89)

Just got July's Amazing/Amiga (you know, Amazing Computing)
and it has a BIG preview of UltraCard.

They're, well, nearly drooling.  Anybody with the product
and the mag care to comment and compare?

Thanks.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Robin LaPasha               |Deep-Six your

tim@mcrware.UUCP (Tim Harris) (07/13/89)

	I don't own the official version of UltraCard but did get ahold of the
browser and sample stacks which were posted on CIS recently.  Last night I
got home, un-zooed the whole thing and began running.  From the 15 minutes
I played with it I found I visited the guru more than a devout Yogi would.
Specifically from the ControlRoom stack I could do info and programs and
listen to my Amiga speak, I could NOT do the more... option without a visit
from the guru.  In the calendar stack I could look at the dates set on the
calendar for this month but when I tried to set a new date I instead saw the
guru.  From UltraDex I could sort and go to the first and last stack item
but got a guru doing a find.
	Now I'm not saying UltraCard isn't neat or anything, just a bit buggy in
the version of the browser that was posted.  It is fairly quick though, I ran
it off of my hard drive and it didn't have any real delays in it at all.  The
screens look real nice, it does indeed let you jump around in stacks and the
Calendar stack alone is far better than any PD calendar program I've seen to
date, same goes for the UltraDex stack too.  My view, much like my view toward
PageStream, is that UltraCard has great potential, has a great price but is
just a bit too buggy right now.  I am not used to seeing the guru every
minute or two any more with the software I run, UltraCard just visits him too
often.
	I would be interested too in hearing from anyone who has actually bought
the real version of UltraCard to see if it crashes just as often, if it does
I'll wait until until 1.1 comes out before I spend my money.

	Tim Harris

NOTE: I just talked with a friend who ran it last night too from floppy.  He
said he only guru'ed once and that was from a OM error.  He said he could do
all the things I guru'ed on and also could have mutliple stacks open at the
same time.  Maybe it was my hard drive, maybe it was my A500, who knows????
What are others finding out with UltraCard?

jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart) (07/15/89)

In article <1285@mcrware.UUCP> tim@mcrware.UUCP (Tim Harris) writes:
>	I don't own the official version of UltraCard but did get ahold of the
>browser and sample stacks which were posted on CIS recently.  Last night I

I haven't used the browser, but I do own the product...

> From the 15 minutes
>I played with it I found I visited the guru more than a devout Yogi would.
>Specifically from the ControlRoom stack I could do info and programs and

I had the exact same problem with the product---when I first started up
after installing it on my hard drive, it was Crash City.  The workaround?
Instead of clicking on the UltraCard icon, click on one of the stack
(project) icons to start.  There seems to be an odd bug afflicting the
Control Room and other bits.

After crashing all over the place and then finding a partial workaround,
I spoke with the program's author, Mike Lehman of Intuitive Technologies.
He was very, very helpful---he even squashed an UCard bug during the
conversation.  There will be a new browser release RSN, to be followed by
a new release of the full UC.  Intuitive Tech's upgrade policy is good---
send them your old master disk and they send it back with the new
software on it.

>listen to my Amiga speak, I could NOT do the more... option without a visit
>from the guru.  In the calendar stack I could look at the dates set on the
>calendar for this month but when I tried to set a new date I instead saw the
>guru.  From UltraDex I could sort and go to the first and last stack item
>but got a guru doing a find.

I didn't have these problems---before I found the workaround, I kept crashing
in the Help stack.  I started up the calendar and UltraDex stacks, and
didn't crash (Workbench click-on-project-type startup).  I did notice that
the built-in editor is incompatible with fastfonts, just as Maxiplan was.
Mike Lehman says that the guy who wrote that code isn't working for
Intuitive Tech. any more, and the code will be changed RSN, so folks (like me)
who use FF to replace Topaz will be a lot happier.

> Now I'm not saying UltraCard isn't neat or anything, just a bit buggy in
>the version of the browser that was posted.  It is fairly quick though, I ran
>it off of my hard drive and it didn't have any real delays in it at all.  The

Yes.  The only problem I would see is for floppy-drive users----when you
start making changes to stacks, they can grow quickly in file size, at least
until you use the 'Compact Stack' option.  Mike said that this, too, is in
for a rev...

[lotsa stuff deleted---including, I'm afraid, a conditional clause.]
>I'll wait until until 1.1 comes out before I spend my money.
>	Tim Harris

Can't say I blame you.  But 1.1 should be out pretty soon now (current
rev is 1.01a).  After talking with the author, I have a lot more confidence
that the next version will be much more stable and even more usable.  He
also has some nifty ideas for future enhancements....

Keep an eye on this product...It has a *lot* of potential.

                         -- John Lockhart
               jwl@feanor.stanford.edu  BIX: jlockhart

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (07/15/89)

I got UltraCard 1.01a in the mail Tuesday.  If the stack is on a write-enabled
disk, UltraCard is constantly updating it as you move about.  I have found
that if you get a guru, there is a good chance that the stack you were in last
will be messed up.

So, if you were able to get to a particular frame once but not now, try
reloading the stacks from your write-protected backup floppy.

It looks rough now, but I have high hopes for this program.
--

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (07/21/89)

In article <1285@mcrware.UUCP> tim@mcrware.UUCP (Tim Harris) writes:
>I played with it I found I visited the guru more than a devout Yogi would.
> ... describes gurus with Ultracard
Sounds like too small a stack to me.
What was your stack size?
4000 or something real?
ron

oleg@pnet01.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) (03/24/90)

Ultracard has the reputation of being rather buggy, with the Ucard demo
guruing on me personally every time it ran, and Ucard itself guruing on my
friend (who bought it despite the demo :-) ) at least 75% of the time. I DON'T
mean syntax error type crashes during script execution, I mean red and balck
guru boxes.
 OR

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!oleg
ARPA: crash!pnet01!oleg@nosc.mil
INET: oleg@pnet01.cts.com