[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga, UNIX, and X-WINDOWS

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (03/11/90)

   A friend of mine has a 28Mhz 68030-based Amiga using the Imtronics
accellerator, and is looking for some software to match his system.
He is also considering purchasing the high-resolution video card if
and when it is ever produced, and would like some powerful workstation-
quality software to take advantage of the performance and graphics
capabilities of his system.  Currently, there isn't much really
powerful software available for the Amiga.

   Fortunately, there is X11 for the Amiga.  There is a lot of software
available on the FTP sites for X11R3, which is just the kind of
software he is looking for.  A lot of this software is very powerful,
written for workstations with the graphics and processing capabilities
that his systems has.

   My question is this: will this software run with X11 alone, or will
he also need to purchase Amiga UNIX in order to get most of this
software compiled and running?

dale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dale Luck - Amiga) (03/26/90)

In article <13464@baldrick.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   Fortunately, there is X11 for the Amiga.  There is a lot of software
>available on the FTP sites for X11R3, which is just the kind of
>software he is looking for.  A lot of this software is very powerful,
>written for workstations with the graphics and processing capabilities
>that his systems has.
>
>   My question is this: will this software run with X11 alone, or will
>he also need to purchase Amiga UNIX in order to get most of this
>software compiled and running?

X11 from GfxBase runs under standard old AmigaDos. Requires V1.3.
You need at least 1M of memory to get server and 640x400 custom screen
up. More memory if you want to run X programs on the amiga itself. We
provide lots, like two window managers, plus more.
For more information please email back.

By the way the next version of X11 (3.1) is soon to start shipping.
It's main feature is the support of TSSnet from Syndesis, which is
an implementation of the DECnet protocol running native on the Amiga.
For you people in DECnet/Decwindows environments, you can now get
access to those programs on your amiga. By the way, TSSnet for the Amiga
works over ethernet and SERIAL!
Dale Luck
GfxBase
213-854-0310 408-262-1469