[comp.sys.amiga] 1080 monitor sparking help request

kosma%stc-sun@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) (03/26/90)

   From: Darren New <new@udel.edu>
   Date: 16 Mar 90 20:44:05 GMT

   I've looked at the directions in the summary of the Transactor article
   posted previously.  I've opened my monitor and found it to be
   mostly dust-free.  The article mentions a heat-sink under the metal
   plate on the bottom of the "motherboard" PC board. This plate is
   soldered to wires sticking thru the plate in several places in my
   monitor.  Do I have the wrong plate, or do I need to unsolder it
   to remove it?  There is also a plate on the "top" of the board
   which appears to be held down by twist-tabs but access to this is
   block by the tube and lots-o-little-wires. I would rather not take
   all this apart only to find I did The Wrong Thing, so any advice
   here would be appriciated.    THANKS IN ADVANCE!  -- Darren

get an ohmmeter and find the big l-shaped hunk of metal which is NOT
shorted to ground.  This is the heat sink you want.  It's not under a metal
plate or anything (on mine at least), it's on the back side of the monitor,
and it should have a couple of labels stuck onto it. Mine was bolted onto
some sort of a big transistor or something.  I just connected a wire from
that heat sink to ground and the snapping stopped completely.

hope that helps!

monty