[comp.sys.amiga] A question about the program "KeyboardX"

moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) (03/23/90)

	I downloaded "KeyboardX" a short while ago, but now I can't
figure out what it does.  (The .doc file that comes with it explains
how to run it, but gives no clue as to what it's for.)  I know I
downloaded it for a good reason, but I'll be darned if I can remember
what for?  Anybody know what it does?

Richard "I-must-be-losing-my-mind" Moster

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (03/23/90)

In article <7129@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) writes:

> 	I downloaded "KeyboardX" a short while ago, but now I can't
> figure out what it does.  (The .doc file that comes with it explains
> how to run it, but gives no clue as to what it's for.)  I know I
> downloaded it for a good reason, but I'll be darned if I can remember
> what for?  Anybody know what it does?

For all those who haven't seen the "VAUX Killer" demo, KeyboardX was a program
on a joke amiga users group disk in their "Stupid Computer Tricks" directory.
"In Stupid Computer Tricks we have KeyboardX.  It ramdomly remaps the keyboard
every 10 seconds" -- from the VAUX killer demo.  The second I saw this I wanted
to write KeyboardX (probably caused by the lack of sleep on my part) but it
seems that someone with a much less hectic schedule than I has beat me to the
punch.  I got a copy of it a couple of nights ago an ran it... as far as I know
there were no nasty bugs left to crawl through the computer and it does what
is is supposed to do (which will drive friends NUTSO when you run it on them).
If anyone comes up with a virus warning... PLEASE post it! (I would hate for
something to get back into my system -- I got Sword of Sodan for Christmas
and it came from the store complete with a virus!  NEVER buy open software at
a store that lets anyone off the street mess with their computers AND know
NOTHING about viruses... It took a major battle and bringing a copy of virusx
to the store an running it on the system they had to prove it!) Anyway...
KeyboardX - Stupid Computer Tricks - Random Remap of Keyboard every 10 seconds.

Disclaimer: I DIDN'T Write the version of KeyboardX that is floating around now,
	    and I don't guarantee that it doesn't have a virus from my test of
	    it (I ran it on a 1000 with 512K & 2 3.5" drives... so if the virus
	    was there it died when I shut down after trying it).  I also had
            nothing to do with the "VAUX Killer" demo, just saw it a couple of
            times.  Cute :-)

_______________     /        /                    /  | UUNET:
   /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/ | uunet!sdrc!evtracy
  / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \  +-------------------
    Mobius Recursive Software - Making Yesterday's Tomorrows Today(tm)

mmaw@sendai.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Muchrip Mesto Atmodjo WIDJAJA) (03/23/90)

moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) writes:

>	I downloaded "KeyboardX" a short while ago, but now I can't
>figure out what it does.  [..]  I know I
>downloaded it for a good reason, but I'll be darned if I can remember
>what for?  Anybody know what it does?

	"KeyboardX"?  Isn't that the program that randomly remaps the
keyboard every 10 seconds?  Did you find your keys doing strange things?
Was it in a drawer called "StupidComputerTricks"? ;-)
	BTW, take a look at The VAUX-Killer Demo (Fish #265-6) sometime.
It may be the same thing they're talking about.

>Richard "I-must-be-losing-my-mind" Moster

"Demo Dan"

maffett@netcom.UUCP (Tim Maffett) (03/24/90)

In article <7129@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) writes:

>	I downloaded "KeyboardX" a short while ago, but now I can't
>figure out what it does.  (The .doc file that comes with it explains
>how to run it, but gives no clue as to what it's for.)  I know I
>downloaded it for a good reason, but I'll be darned if I can remember
>what for?  Anybody know what it does?
>
>Richard "I-must-be-losing-my-mind" Moster

   KeyboardX randomly remaps the keyboard map after n seconds.
i.e. "KeyboardX 5" randomly remaps the keyboard map for the cli it is run from
after 5 seconds.  The keyboard map remains screwed up until the KeyboardX
window is closed.
   (I deduced this from looking at the code, and then proceded to test my
hypothesis by running the program ;)
   good for a joke maybe ?

tim, replies to maffett@uther.cs.orst.edu, or maffett@netcom.uucp

maffett@netcom.UUCP (Tim Maffett) writes:

>   KeyboardX randomly remaps the keyboard map after n seconds.

So, If you put a monkey on a keyboard running keyboardx, how long would
it take him to type the complete works of Shakespeare while holding down
only one key?

:-)

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406