[comp.sys.amiga] Lattice Flame

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (03/22/90)

I would like to (somewhat - you'll see) apologize for my flame at Lattice.
First, let me say that flying off the handle like that was inexcusable,
regardless of what gripes I may have with them.  I am very sorry for both
the tone, the language, and the lack of bandwidth that could have been
much more constructively utilized.

I would also like to say (as I did in email to John Meissen - admittedly
this probably was the only printable thing I put in that email) that
I have nothing against the compiler itself, and would (and in fact have)
recommend it over Aztec.

As for Mr. Meissen's remark about "free support, free updates, etc, and
he's not the least bit grateful for it..."
I wish to say that
a) I am grateful for the free updates.  And I commend Lattice for such
a policy - it is very helpful to users.
b) I apologize for my language and tone in talking about the Tech Support
department, but the fact stands that over the time I have been a Lattice
customer, I have received (luck of the draw, perhaps) substandard support.
I have often had to spend over an hour trying to squeeze between busy signals,
and was once connected to someone who admittedly was unfamiliar with the
Amiga or Amiga C.  *Personally* I would be willing to pay for Tech Support
*if* it meant more phones (so calls could come through easier) and better
support.  *Personally* I feel the cost would be worth the frustration of
trying to get through.

So, I guess I have to say in closing that
a) Lattice C is a good product, which I like a great deal.
b) The tone and manner of my posting, which was unequivocally uncalled-for.
c) However, I have experienced *IMO* sub-standard technical support many
   times.
d) *I* have been frustrated by the difficulty of contacting Tech Support.
e) If it would significantly decrease the time it takes to get through
   to Tech Support and it was reasonably assured that things like
   being connected to someone who knew nothing about Amiga C would no longer
   happen, *I* would be willing to pay for Tech Support if that's what it
   would take.
f) I do appreciate the free upgrades and commend Lattice for having such
   a program.

--
Hollywood's Animato Lives!                         ==>  Mike Jittlov  <==
ARPA: rlcarr@space.mit.edu                                   is

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar21.231204.14335@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:
> Amiga or Amiga C.  *Personally* I would be willing to pay for Tech Support
> *if* it meant more phones (so calls could come through easier) and better
> support.  *Personally* I feel the cost would be worth the frustration of
> trying to get through.

Have you thought about CompuServe as an alternative. Although it isn't cheap
and it isn't quite like one-on-one on the phone, it is there. Mike Roth from
Lattice is regularly there always willing to answer questions. I'm not sure if
he is there in an official capacity but it looks like he does a good job
anyway. And then there's al the other benefits (read $$$) of CIS.

No, I don't work for CIS. I only drive by on the way to Bil's house.

					   Mike

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (03/27/90)

> Have you thought about CompuServe as an alternative. Although it isn't cheap
> and it isn't quite like one-on-one on the phone, it is there. Mike Roth from

  Or better yet, BIX. Rich is at MIT, and in the Boston area BIX is a
local call. So, with the various discounts and the flat rate you can
enjoy BIX 24 hours a day for a flat rate of about $100 per year.

  Std. Disclaimers apply.

  Jim