[comp.sys.amiga] Distributed Amiga processing. Is it possible?

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (03/24/90)

G'day,

I'm not asking for help this time {I usually seem to :-)}. I'd like to ask a
(compound) question of the c.s.a readership. {Just for the kick of it! :-)}.

Does/should the Amiga OS have the potential/capability in future for distri-
buted processing?

By this I'm suggesting more than just networking. For example, is Amiga's OS
likely to be able to split up a job of work (say 3-D rendering of an object)
to be run concurrently on multiple Amigas?

Do I ask too much? Seriously that is.

{I debated whether I should post this to comp.sys.amiga.technical. I hope to
see some discussion of uses as well as the "fitness" of the existing AmigaOS
for this purpose. I would like comments from "application types" who may not
necessarily read that newsgroup.}

{For Randell Jesup (sorry if I misspell your name). Is it in there? :-) ...}

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.

P.S:: Andy Tanenbaum has just announced a new book for Amoeba, a distributed
systems OS which sounds quite exciting. This was a motivation for my asking.

Please note that I am not myself knowledgeable of the OS technical details.

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (03/25/90)

>Item: 6164 by *Masked* at ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
>  Subj: Distributed Amiga processing. Is it possible?

>Does/should the Amiga OS have the potential/capability in future for distri-
>buted processing?

ANSWER:

1) Depends.
2) YES.

>By this I'm suggesting more than just networking. For example, is Amiga's OS
>likely to be able to split up a job of work (say 3-D rendering of an object)
>to be run concurrently on multiple Amigas?

Hmm.. actually , I can envision a hack on the NET: interface and some work
with AREXX...

"run @machine1 lc foo.bar"

hmm.....

Air Traffic Controller's Bizarre Claim: "East German Whiz Kids Planted Mind C
ontrol.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (03/26/90)

In article <595@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
(Lou Cavallo) writes:

>Does/should the Amiga OS have the potential/capability in future for distri-
>buted processing?

There are several problems involving this. One is that we need device
independent graphics for distrubuted processing to work. How else could
we run an GUI based application on a remote machine.

Another problem is that the usual vm/protection/multi-processing MEMF_PUBLIC
memory flag definition is unused. What if a program running on a remote machine
wants to send a message to the local machine? How do you do that?

Your suggestions are welcome.

>I debated whether I should post this to comp.sys.amiga.technical.

This belongs on comp.sys.amiga.tech, and follow-ups are directed there.

>P.S:: Andy Tanenbaum has just announced a new book for Amoeba, a distributed
>systems OS which sounds quite exciting. This was a motivation for my asking.

Several of us here asked for the book.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (03/27/90)

In article <10346@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <595@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
>(Lou Cavallo) writes:
>>Does/should the Amiga OS have the potential/capability in future for distri-
>>buted processing?
>
>There are several problems involving this. One is that we need device
>independent graphics for distrubuted processing to work. How else could
>we run an GUI based application on a remote machine.
>
>Another problem is that the usual vm/protection/multi-processing MEMF_PUBLIC
>memory flag definition is unused. What if a program running on a remote machine
>wants to send a message to the local machine? How do you do that?

If you intercepted all calls from a particular process to the system
routines (fairly costly) you could redirect them to the other system.
     I don't grasp the full extend of this job, but couldn't screen,
window, and port addresses be used to determine ownership, transmitting
them as messages to the remote machine where they'll act as if locally
issued?
     Maybe we should continue this in .tech ...

Udo Schuermann
walrus@cscwam.umd.edu