[comp.sys.amiga] Opinions?

wakres01@pa.usl.edu (Stelly John B) (03/26/90)

I am currently devolping a game for the amiga.  I intend on allowing for
hard disk and multitasking support.  However, the nature of the graphic
display of the game prohibits normal multi-tasking.

My question is :   Would anyone be offended by a game that took over the
display , even if it had an alternative way to access the rest of the amiga
environment ?

The game will happily allow other programs to co-exist in the system, and,
of course allocates and deallocates all memory it uses, but it MUST program
the copper directly, and therefore cannot share the display with another task.
So what I will provide is some "button" or other means of returning to the
workbench (or that is my idea at present) NOTE the game does not inhibit the
operation of anything but the display, and will not crash if other programs
try to program the display as well - everything is handled through the OS..

Any suggestions or opinions (not flames!) would be appreciated.

John B Stelly   wakres01@pa.usl.edu

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/26/90)

In article <5809@rouge.usl.edu> wakres01@pa.usl.edu (Stelly John B) writes:
>My question is :   Would anyone be offended by a game that took over the
>display , even if it had an alternative way to access the rest of the amiga
>environment ?

Probably not, and I'm offended easily. :-)

>The game will happily allow other programs to co-exist in the system, and,
>of course allocates and deallocates all memory it uses, but it MUST program
>the copper directly, and therefore cannot share the display with another task.
>So what I will provide is some "button" or other means of returning to the
>workbench (or that is my idea at present) NOTE the game does not inhibit the
>operation of anything but the display, and will not crash if other programs
>try to program the display as well - everything is handled through the OS..

That sounds fairly reasonable.  Since you would most definitely not want the
game active while you're off doing something else (tends to be detrimental to
your score, y'know ;-), providing some means of "shutting it up" temporarily
sounds quite logical.  It's refreshing to see someone putting a lot of
thought and effort into integrating a game into the multitasking environment
rather than assuming "It's a game; ergo, I can take over the machine."  (Yes,
I know it's not unheard of, but it IS all too rare.)

So, my response is...go for it!  Since you've obviously been thinking about
it a lot, it would seem a shame not to do it, IMVVHO.

 -Chris

>Any suggestions or opinions (not flames!) would be appreciated.

>John B Stelly   wakres01@pa.usl.edu

Chris Lang, University of Michigan, College of Engineering    +1 313 763 1832
      4622 Bursley, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109          chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu
WORK: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences,
      900 Victors Way, Suite 226, Ann Arbor, MI, 48108        +1 313 995 0300
"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wakres01@pa.usl.edu (Stelly John B) writes:

>I am currently devolping a game for the amiga.  I intend on allowing for
>hard disk and multitasking support.  However, the nature of the graphic
>display of the game prohibits normal multi-tasking.

>My question is :   Would anyone be offended by a game that took over the
>display , even if it had an alternative way to access the rest of the amiga
>environment ?

Hey, at least you had the decency and concern to ask! That's much more than
can be said for many Amiga games, that, usually because of copy protection,
have to be the boot disk, and thereby take over the entire machine.

If your game does allow multitasking and you can switch back to the workbench
with some sort of button (as you suggested in your article) then that's
ok (at least by me), and much more than is offered by many other games.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406