[comp.sys.amiga] FTP - what is it?

dave@cs.arizona.edu (David P. Schaumann) (03/27/90)

>From: utah-cs!cs.utexas.edu!ames.arc.nasa.gov!claris!netcom!mcmahan (Dave Mc Mahan)
>I have noticed in several places on Usenet that the FTP acronym is used.
>What does it stand for, and how can I find out how to use it?  I assume
>it is something like "File Transfer Protocol".  How do I connect to the
>reomote sites that are mentioned?  Thanks for any help.
>
>  -dave

(Sorry, e-mail bounced...)

I don't know much about what ftp is, except for how it works.  On my
system, all I have to do is type "ftp" at the system prompt, and a
program is started which will let me connect with other computers for
downloads and uploads.  I don't know what kind of link is used, but it
is very fast (600K of data is transferred in just a few minutes.  Your
milage may vary :)  If you have a Un*x system, try typing "man ftp" at
the system prompt.  If you have ftp access, this should tell you all
you need to know to use it.  BTW, to use anonymous ftp, enter "anonymous"
at the user prompt, and your address as the password.  (This is not mentioned
in the docs here, and it took me some time at trial and error to figure this
out).

Have Fun!!!
Dave Schaumann
dave@cs.arizona.edu