[comp.sys.amiga] zoo & gurus

robi@attila.esa.oz (RoBeRt KaRp) (03/15/90)

I have an extremely roundabout way of transferring files from
work (UNIX) to my amiga. I do the following:
	1. I zoo the files on UNIX (bsd4.3)
	2. I copy it to an IBM pc via a 9600 serial link
	3. I copy it onto a 5.25" floppy disk
	4. I take the disk home & copy it onto my IBM HD (did I mention
	   I have a 2088 BridgeBoard with a hard disk, of which the Amiga is
	   a partition ?)
	5. I use awrite to transfer the zoo'd file.
	6. I unzoo the file.

Now, following these steps I took home Sksh and did a zoo l. This said
that the file was corrupted, I don't know why yet, but I will find out !
However I thought I'll be smart & attempt to extract it anyway. So I
did a zoo x sksh.zoo, this caused the system to crash (guru #000000003.???)
If anyone knows why, can they tell me please.

Thanks,

		- Robi

--
INTERNET: robi@attila.esa.oz.au    ACSnet: robi@attila.esa.oz
Fax     : (+61) (2) 953 9531             Robert Karp///

In <491@attila.esa.oz>, robi@attila.esa.oz (RoBeRt KaRp) writes:
>I have an extremely roundabout way of transferring files from
>work (UNIX) to my amiga. I do the following:
>	1. I zoo the files on UNIX (bsd4.3)
>	2. I copy it to an IBM pc via a 9600 serial link
>	3. I copy it onto a 5.25" floppy disk
>	4. I take the disk home & copy it onto my IBM HD (did I mention
>	   I have a 2088 BridgeBoard with a hard disk, of which the Amiga is
>	   a partition ?)
>	5. I use awrite to transfer the zoo'd file.
>	6. I unzoo the file.

Ugh!

>Now, following these steps I took home Sksh and did a zoo l. This said
>that the file was corrupted, I don't know why yet, but I will find out !
>However I thought I'll be smart & attempt to extract it anyway. So I
>did a zoo x sksh.zoo, this caused the system to crash (guru #000000003.???)
>If anyone knows why, can they tell me please.

Are you using the /b option when you do the awrite? If not, that could be your
problem, though with all that transferring, it could be being munged elsewhere
in the chain.  Try a small file containing at least one of every byte value
that you can type the hex contents of and look at it at each step of the
process.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

Leon D. Shaner <LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET> (03/20/90)

I've had repeated trouble unzooing files greater than 800 K in length.

In particular when the NewTek3 Demo was first posted on Xanth, it was something
like 1.7mb.

I ftp'd it to a sun and uuencoded it, split it into parts, copied it to I*M
floppies brought it home and joined the parts, uudecoded it (which gave no
errors) and then proceded to unzoo it.  The first disk came out which means
zoo liked the first 800 or so K-bytes.  Then part way through the second
disk, it said the rest of the archive was corrupt.

Obviously I'm using a hard drive.  Is it possible that the writers of zoo never
anticipated being able to unzoo archives larger than a floppy and hardcoded
some magic number as the upper limit?

Incidentally, I got curious and took the complete uuencoded file as it
ended up on my machine and I re-split it, copied it to I*M floppies again, took
it back to the Sun and rejoined/uudecoded the archive, found a copy of zoo
somewhere and unzooed the result with no errors.  Both my version of zoo and
the one on the Sun were v2.00.

I have had the same trouble many times since.  I usually do most of the
archive manipulations on my machine since my Sun access is limited, but now
(as I am sure most do) I do the unzooing on the Sun.

Any ideas what the problem may be?  Anyone else notice this?
-------
+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| LEON D. SHANER <LDSHANER@MTUS5> :BBS: AMIGA BITSWAP CENTRAL DISPATCH:
| EE UNDER GRAD.                   :    (906)487-0006 <-AMIGA ONLY!    :
| MICHIGAN TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY :   FREE! - 24 HOURS - 80 MB        :
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

robi@attila.esa.oz (RoBeRt KaRp) (03/27/90)

In LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET's article <90079.102857LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET> they write:
: I've had repeated trouble unzooing files greater than 800 K in length.
:

[ deleted ]

Actually, I can relate to what you've said.

HOWEVER, Allow me to restate my problem:

I copy files to my IBM. AT THIS POINT if I do a zoo l, everything is
fine. I then copy the zoo'd files across the BridgeBoard via awrite.
If I now do a zoo x, I get gurus.

	- Robi