[comp.sys.amiga] Request from CBM for Improvements

allen@grebyn.com (03/22/90)

In response of to plethora of references:

It seems as if there is a desire for somewhat of a 'man' command.  I use
a solution which appeared in AmigaWorld some time ago.  It works quite
well and probably could be adapted to work with a floppy system.

Step 1. -- Create a place for all the doc/help/man files.  This could
           be a directory on the HD or a single floppy.  Call this
           directory/disk MAN:.  Now copy all your documentation files
           to the MAN: directory/disk changing the extention to .man
           in the process.

Step 2. -- Copy the very useful PD utility 'more' to your c: directory.
           In fact, you can put it anywhere the path will reach, I use
           a /bin directory for all non-1.3 binaries.

Step 3. -- This is the critical step.  Add to your shell-startup or
           startup-sequence file the following line:

              alias man more MAN:[].man

           If you're using the HD method you need to add:

              assign MAN: YourDevice:YourPath/YourDirectory

Step 4. -- Reboot the machine.  You now should be able type:

              man foo

           and have more invoked on the foo.man file.  In UNIX systems,
           the man command launches a more-like interface.  It may even
           be more with the appropriate file piped in.

This method works very nicely, I use all the time.  It only takes 11284
bytes on the workbench disk and you will be prompted for the MAN: disk
if you're using floppies.

So much for my two-cents.

  --Allen

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/22/90)

In article <19485@grebyn.com> allen@grebyn.com writes:
>Step 3. -- This is the critical step.  Add to your shell-startup or
>           startup-sequence file the following line:
>
>              alias man more MAN:[].man
>
>           If you're using the HD method you need to add:
>
>              assign MAN: YourDevice:YourPath/YourDirectory

I've been doing this for a while.  I can attest that it works very nicely.
One of these days I'm going to get around to writing an ARexx script to
make things more intelligent, but....

 -Chris
--
Chris Lang, University of Michigan, College of Engineering    +1 313 763 1832
      4622 Bursley, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109          chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu

p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar22.044015.4535@caen.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:
>In article <19485@grebyn.com> allen@grebyn.com writes:
>>              alias man more MAN:[].man
>>              assign MAN: YourDevice:YourPath/YourDirectory
>
>I've been doing this for a while.  I can attest that it works very nicely.
>One of these days I'm going to get around to writing an ARexx script to
>make things more intelligent, but....

I'm just using standard AmigaShell commands to get:

man -> list of available manuals (autodocs)
man topic -> manual document (topic is the filename with or without extension)

mh -> list of include directories (i.e. exec/graphics/devices/...)
mh directory -> list of headers with that directory
mh header -> headerfile (filename is with or without extension)

mi -> same for assembler includes

fd library function or fd library offset (postive or negative)
to get the appropriate line of the fd file

Michael van Elst
p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de

pmorris@bbn.com (phil morris) (03/27/90)

>From: Chris Lang <chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu>
>Subject: Re: Request from CBM for Improvements
>Date: 22 Mar 90 04:40:00 GMT
>To:       amiga-relay@udel.edu
>
>In article <19485@grebyn.com> allen@grebyn.com writes:
>>Step 3. -- This is the critical step.  Add to your shell-startup or
>>           startup-sequence file the following line:
>>
>>              alias man more MAN:[].man
>>
>>           If you're using the HD method you need to add:
>>
>>              assign MAN: YourDevice:YourPath/YourDirectory
>
>I've been doing this for a while.  I can attest that it works very nicely.
>One of these days I'm going to get around to writing an ARexx script to
>make things more intelligent, but....
>
> -Chris
>--
>Chris Lang, University of Michigan, College of Engineering    +1 313 763 1832
>      4622 Bursley, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109          chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu
>WORK: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences,
>      900 Victors Way, Suite 226, Ann Arbor, MI, 48108        +1 313 995 0300
>"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

What about just using MRMan?? You don't have to have all the files in a
single directory nor do they have to end in .man (they can end in .man,
.doc, .txt, no extension, etc).  This program I have found to be VERY
useful.
--------
Phil Morris (pmorris@dgi0.bbn.com)
Disclaimer: ME? I'm only a non-smoking cat; can't believe a word I meow.

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/27/90)

In article <15038@snow-white.udel.EDU> pmorris@bbn.com (phil morris) writes:
>What about just using MRMan?? You don't have to have all the files in a
>single directory nor do they have to end in .man (they can end in .man,
>.doc, .txt, no extension, etc).  This program I have found to be VERY
>useful.

What is MRMan?  More importantly, where can it be found?

>Phil Morris (pmorris@dgi0.bbn.com)
>Disclaimer: ME? I'm only a non-smoking cat; can't believe a word I meow.
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^ I'll refrain from making any smoking
                                        jokes...I imagine you get enough of
 -Chris                                 those... :-)