[comp.sys.amiga] Music Coverter Program

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) (03/25/90)

	Okay, here's a question I have not seen asked before.  There
are a number of programs out there in the public domain which will
take an IFF image file and generate C code for it if I want to incorporate
it into my programs.  Is there a similar thing for SMUS scores?  There is
a lot of really good music out there for the Amiga in Sonix format,
DMCS format, and others, as well as soundtracks for PD games.  I am no
musician, just like I am NO artist, so I must rely on programs such as
IFFtoC to help me spice up my programs.  Now, if I want to take some of
this great music, or create some of my own using SONIX (and a LOT of
experimenting!! :*) ), is there a program which will take these scores
and generate the necessary C code to incorporate them into my programs?
Is it on FF?  Commercial?  I do not care which.

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) (03/25/90)

In article <956@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) writes:
>There is
>a lot of really good music out there for the Amiga in Sonix format,
>DMCS format, and others, as well as soundtracks for PD games.

Hmmm, I would love to be able to find some of this really good
music, but I don't know where to look.  This may be a foregone
conclusion, but does anyone archive music like people do pictures?
Do anonymous ftp sites exist that have any such music?  I've
looked around for quite a while and have found nothing.  Just
curious.

Dave Buchthal

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/27/90)

In article <956@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) writes:
>	Okay, here's a question I have not seen asked before.  There
>are a number of programs out there in the public domain which will
>take an IFF image file and generate C code for it if I want to incorporate
>it into my programs.  Is there a similar thing for SMUS scores?

Haven't seen one, haven't written one.  I did let Peter da Silva badger me,
three years or so back, into writing code to convert 8SVX sample files to C,
and his Workbench Lander made use of that.

However, I gave it up as tedious and pointless because all it gets you is the
ability to have your sounds linked into your code (i.e. a one-file application),
as opposed to having separate files, and it costs you dramatically increased
link times plus making it harder to change sounds.

It would be worse with SMUS, because then you'd have to link in your samples,
your songs and a SMUS player.  Much nicer, in my opinion, to just link in
enough code to talk to a SMUS player.  This is the approach taken in our
Commercial SMUS Player.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"As long as there is a legion of superheros, all else
--			 can surely be made right." -- Sensor Girl