[comp.sys.amiga] vd0: was Re: Canonical List continued

perley@flash (Donald P Perley) (03/19/90)

In article <1317@mindlink.UUCP>, a218@mindlink (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>In article <1315@mindlink.UUCP> a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor):

>>  CANONONICAL LIST OF MOST USEFUL PUBLIC DOMAIN SOFTWARE

>Let us not forget VD0:, Perry Kivolowitz' wonderful asdg.vdisk.device.
>RAM: is OK for transient work files but doesn't survive a re-boot.
>I have never used RAD: and have no intention of ever doing so.

In this case don't you mean *shareware* rather than public domain?

While you may have reasons to prefer it, I wouldn't call it a "must have"
now that rad: comes with the operating system.  I think it was a great
product for WB 1.2.

-don perley

perley@trub.crd.ge.com

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (03/20/90)

In article <11854@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> perley@flash (Donald P Perley)
writes:

>In article <1317@mindlink.UUCP>, a218@mindlink (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>>In article <1315@mindlink.UUCP> a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor):

>>>  CANONONICAL LIST OF MOST USEFUL PUBLIC DOMAIN SOFTWARE

>>Let us not forget VD0:, Perry Kivolowitz' wonderful asdg.vdisk.device.
>>RAM: is OK for transient work files but doesn't survive a re-boot.
>>I have never used RAD: and have no intention of ever doing so.

>In this case don't you mean *shareware* rather than public domain?

Oops!  Point taken.  (Our local club took up a collection
and sent our shareware fees to Perry in one big lump.)

>While you may have reasons to prefer it, I wouldn't call it a "must have"
>now that rad: comes with the operating system.  I think it was a great
>product for WB 1.2.

I still prefer VD0: to RAD: simply because it doesn't use any memory
which isn't actually occupied by files.  If you set up an 880K RAD:
that memory is gone for good; a VD0: of any size uses hardly anything
at all until you start to actually put stuff into it, and frees up
memory when you delete files in it.

>-don perley
>perley@trub.crd.ge.com

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
For every vision there is an equal and opposite revision.

2011_552@uwovax.uwo.ca (03/21/90)

In article <1340@mindlink.UUCP>, a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:

[...]
> I still prefer VD0: to RAD: simply because it doesn't use any memory
> which isn't actually occupied by files.  If you set up an 880K RAD:
> that memory is gone for good; a VD0: of any size uses hardly anything
> at all until you start to actually put stuff into it, and frees up
> memory when you delete files in it.

I prefer vd0: and vdk: for the same reason.  I used to use Absoft fortran
a lot; it places variables on the stack, and my programs required
a _lot_ of stack space (1 meg or more).  Rad: ties up the space
permanently.  I occasionally needed to dedicate almost everything to
the stack.  A recoverable ramdisk which expands only as needed was a must.

--
Terry Gaetz     --  gaetz@uwovax.uwo.ca  --  gaetz@uwovax.bitnet

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (03/27/90)

In article <1340@mindlink.UUCP> a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>>>Let us not forget VD0:, Perry Kivolowitz' wonderful asdg.vdisk.device.
>>>RAM: is OK for transient work files but doesn't survive a re-boot.
>>>I have never used RAD: and have no intention of ever doing so.
>
>>In this case don't you mean *shareware* rather than public domain?

I hereby officially declare  my intention *not* to receive any more shareware
donations and fully enter our Recoverable Ram Disk (of which I am the author)
into the public domain.  It can now be used for any purpose by anyone as long
as proper credit is given.

So long and thanks for all the fish. :-)

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry