[comp.sys.amiga] Mail Order Amigas

akeef@asd.wpafb.af.mil (Earle Ake) (08/08/89)

	Just to throw my two cents worth in.  I have talked to a local
dealer and they have said that the problem with mail order is not really
the mail order itself, but there are places out there that are not on
good terms with Commodore.  Commodore has yanked the "authorized dealer"
status from them.  They get such good prices because they buy up bulk
lots of machines from dealers unloading them and such.  Because they
are no longer an authorized dealer, Commodore regards a purchase from
them as getting the equipment second hand or used even though it may
never have been turned on.  These are the kind of dealers we really need
to be on the lookout for.  Also a previous article was correct in stating
that local dealers don't want to service these mail-order machines because
it taxes their parts stock and leaves little for their customers.  Just
put yourself in their shoes.  If I sell 25 units in a certain period of time
and expect maybe 5 to come back for service, I will stock enough parts
for maybe 10 units.  If I then get a large influx of mail-order repairs,
say 15 or so, I have completely depleted my spare parts supply because
I had no way of estimating all those mail-order units coming in.  I as
a business man would want to give preference to the customers that made
my business.

	I guess I am saying that sometimes it may be better to spend a little
extra money and get the service locally than to mail-order and have to beg
and plead to get my machine serviced in town.

	I neither work for, or am associated with Commodore.  These are my
own opinions and no-one elses.

Earle

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (08/08/89)

In article <21231@louie.udel.EDU> akeef@asd.wpafb.af.mil (Earle Ake) writes:
| 	Just to throw my two cents worth in.  I have talked to a local
| dealer and they have said that the problem with mail order is not really
| the mail order itself, but there are places out there that are not on
| good terms with Commodore.  Commodore has yanked the "authorized dealer"
| status from them.

IMHO, it would be a Good Thing if Commodore made available (posted?) a list
of authorized dealers.  Failing that, at least they could make this available
upon request.  It should benefit Commodore, their dealers, and consumers.
The only ones to get hurt by this would be the gray and black marketers.
So how about it?

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) (08/08/89)

Another thing with mail order and local dealers is just this:
Why the heck should the dealer even consider servicing your mail order
machine when you previously turned your nose up to him and did not buy
the computer from him?  If I were the dealer, I'd tell you to send it
back to the mail order place for service.  The way I see it you have two
choices: (1) Buy from mail order and save a few bucks, but take your
chances when it comes to getting service (2) spend a few extra dollars
(very few) and buy from a local dealer and get the best service that is
possible.  Personally I prefer (2), and I also find from experience that
dealers tend to give better deals to regular customers, so you can end
up saving some money in the long run.
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (08/09/89)

In article <1402@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@bnr-public.UUCP (Co-op Student) writes:

>Another thing with mail order and local dealers is just this:
>Why the heck should the dealer even consider servicing your mail order
>machine when you previously turned your nose up to him and did not buy
>the computer from him?  If I were the dealer, I'd tell you to send it
>back to the mail order place for service.  The way I see it you have two
>choices: (1) Buy from mail order and save a few bucks, but take your
>chances when it comes to getting service (2) spend a few extra dollars
>(very few) and buy from a local dealer and get the best service that is
>possible.  Personally I prefer (2), and I also find from experience that
>dealers tend to give better deals to regular customers, so you can end
>up saving some money in the long run.

The phrase "CBM Authorized Service Center", to me at least, means that
the dealer fixex ALL In Wartentee equiptment. Not just equiptment that
was bought from him.

The fact that CBM is lax on compensating the Dealers for the work done
should be delt with by beating on CBM, NOT denying service to someone
who deserves it. Now if the dealer wants to give priority to people who
purchased their machines from him, thats well within his rights.

For the record.... I can sympathise with the dealres. I purchased my 2500
from a local dealer, not mailorder.

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (08/10/89)

A typical reason for buying mail order is that the local dealer cannot
satisfy the customer.  My local dealer is positioned to sell games.  They
don't sell any third party hardware and very little non-game software.

Still, they are the only local "authorized" Commodore repair center (and at
that they send the machne 150 miles to their repair site).  If my mail order
machine breaks, I think they should fix it.  I don't expect them to lose
money at it, but it is still their responsibility.

                                                  lee

kms@ecsvax.UUCP (Ken Steele) (08/10/89)

In article <1402@bnr-fos.UUCP>, protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) writes:

> Another thing with mail order and local dealers is just this:

The problem with this type of argument is that it assumes that
one has the choice between a local dealer and a mail order
place.  MANY PEOPLE DON'T!  I don't.  Many of my Amiga-owning
friends don't.  We have to rely on mail order places.  THERE IS
NO CHOICE FOR US.

My 1000 died recently.  I had to chose between an IBM-clone, Mac,
or Amiga for replacement.  If I assumed that CBM had a corporate
policy that said "no warranty for machines bought by mail order"
then I couldn't pick an Amiga.

Rather than promote a dichotomy like evil-but-cheap-mail-order
versus good-n-friendly-but-$$$-local, it seems more important
to identify good and bad dealers independent of how they deliver
their goods.

> Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
> NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
> 613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet || UUCP]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (08/11/89)

In article <c01802wv48X.01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>In article <1402@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@bnr-public.UUCP (Co-op Student) writes:
>>
>>Another thing with mail order and local dealers is just this:
>>Why the heck should the dealer even consider servicing your mail order
>>machine when you previously turned your nose up to him and did not buy
>>the computer from him?
>
>The phrase "CBM Authorized Service Center", to me at least, means that
>the dealer fixex ALL In Wartentee equiptment. Not just equiptment that
>was bought from him.

This won't really apply to me, since my machine is out of warrantee
by now.  But I am moving soon.  I would hate to think that I would
have to ship my machine to the original dealer to get it serviced on
warrantee (and get at least a month without a machine) when I can drive
10 minutes to a shop where I buy all my software/peripherals, etc.
It sounds like good business sense to provide warrantee service on
a machine bought elsewhere, since it gives the customer a better impression
of the business, and they are more likely to come back.  After the machine
is out of warrantee, you don't want the user to avoid you when looking
for service.  If you want the give customers who buy machines from you
preferential service, then give an additional warrantee period, or add
other perks.  If an "Apple Authorized Service Center" refused to service
a warranteed machine, odds are they'd get a swift rap on the head.

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (08/12/89)

>> Another thing with mail order and local dealers is just this:
>> Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |

> The problem with this type of argument is that it assumes that
> one has the choice between a local dealer and a mail order
> place.  MANY PEOPLE DON'T!  I don't.  Many of my Amiga-owning
> friends don't.  We have to rely on mail order places.  THERE IS
> NO CHOICE FOR US.
> Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet || UUCP]

Ken is right, but he never got around to saying why.

I cannot go to the local Amiga dealer because THERE IS NO local dealer
in Corvallis Oregon.  The nearest dealer is 50 miles from here in
Eugene.  I visited there several times.  After a few bad experiences I
decided I didn't want to deal with them.  The next nearest dealer is
about 90 miles away in Portland.  Due to road conditions, it takes me
about 2 hours to get there.  That's one way.  I simply cannot afford
throwing away 4 hours of my day to visit the Amiga distributor.

If I had known Commodore would not back up their warrantee for mail
order buyers, I would not have bought one.  Five of my friends have
bought Amigas.  I think my recommendation influenced them.  (I know
that two of them were so influenced.)  I will no longer be
recommending Amiga.  I like the system.  But how can I recommend it
when the company does not back its own warrantee?
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

suther@novavax.UUCP (Scot M. Sutherland) (08/13/89)

In article <5660051@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes:

>Ken is right, but he never got around to saying why.
>
>I cannot go to the local Amiga dealer because THERE IS NO local dealer
>in Corvallis Oregon.  The nearest dealer is 50 miles from here in
>Eugene.  I visited there several times.  After a few bad experiences I
>decided I didn't want to deal with them.  The next nearest dealer is
>about 90 miles away in Portland.  Due to road conditions, it takes me
>about 2 hours to get there.  That's one way.  I simply cannot afford
>throwing away 4 hours of my day to visit the Amiga distributor.

I live in Lancaster, CA in LA County.  I must order my Amiga
equipment from KJ computers, 40+ miles away, Ventura, 65 miles
away or some other place even farther away.

I have bought my machines and the schools machines by dealing
with the dealers and having them ship it.  It doesn't come out on
paper as mail order that way.  Fortunately, KJ, Creative, and
Century.  It is a mystery to me why Commodore wants to trust the
customer's shipping habits more than UPS.

I have asked CBM Western about getting us a dealer in the
Antelope Valley.  There is a fairly large Amiga community up
here.  Our school district is considering Commodore machines as a
possible alternative to Apple.  It would really be nice to have a
dealer up here.  I know several of the folks in the CBM Western
division office and they, like everyone else at CBM are simply
swamped.  They have sent the packettes to the shops that I have
suggested to them.  In one case the shop owner does really good
business in Amiga software sales and would really like to
represent Commodore.  But as yet no one from Commodore has come
to the Antelope Valley to do the leg work.

We do have an outfit designated as the official Commodore service
center, but they sell Atari, Cordata and IBM clones.

Can someone from CBM update me on the status of a dealer for the
Antelope Valley?

Scot--

waynech@rruxd.UUCP (Wayne Christian) (08/15/89)

Can any one supply me with a list of amiga dealers in the Raleigh/Durham
area of North Carolina?  I plan to move there soon and know next to
nothing about the area.  I'm planning to upgrade to an A2000 RSN.

--
Wayne Christian
{ seismo, ihnp4!packard } !topaz!rruxd!waynech

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (03/20/90)

Considering the fact that Commodore dropped all mail order vendors as
authorized dealers, you can bet that anything being sold by MO is black
market, used or defective.

Mongomery Grant is a good example of a company that takes advantage of
real Amiga dealers who go out of business and must liquidate stock.

I'm sure CBM is doing its best to find out who is leaking the machines to
them.  Who knows, they may infact be getting them from overseas as previously
posted.
-------
+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

In article <90079.100809LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET> LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) writes:
>Considering the fact that Commodore dropped all mail order vendors as
>authorized dealers, you can bet that anything being sold by MO is black
>market, used or defective.
[..Mongomery Grant example..]

I know there are a lot of people out there that do not have easy access
to an authorized dealer.  I think that one mail order authorized dealer
would be a very good idea.

>| LEON D. SHANER <LDSHANER@MTUS5> :BBS: AMIGA BITSWAP CENTRAL DISPATCH:

  /\    from
/ /\  Chris Dailey, Amiga Enthusiast /