[comp.sys.amiga] IBM vs AMIGA cost

In <5527@ur-cc.UUCP>, jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
>system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
>monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
>(ed discount price). Is this true?

Might be... how much is the multitasking ability, NTSC video output, and HAM
mode?

-larry

--
Gallium Arsenide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (03/02/90)

Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
(ed discount price). Is this true?
 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-3055
 Room 274 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
 INTERNET: jea@cvs.rochester.edu

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (03/02/90)

>Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
>system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
>monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
>(ed discount price). Is this true?

Humm... Could be, although the best prices I've seen were about:
$1800 25Mhz 386 1MB no HD
$300 40MB HD
$600 VGA monitor & card
say another $200-300 or so for more memory (really depends if there is
space for it on the motherboard, what speed/package it needs)
For a total of $2900  so I guess that you can indeed get a cheaper clone,
but the $3600 A2500/30 also has a 286 bridgeboard so
you get two machines in one, plus you are buying from a fairly large
company instead of a slapped togeather REALLY cheapo clone.  If you
get a 386 from compaq or an actual IBM (gasp) then you'll pay as much,
if not more, looking at a pricelist for CMU's computer store, the
Model 70s go for around $3500 w/o monitor, mouse, DOS etc.  On the Mac
side the IIci w/o monitor, or HD goes for 3600 (ouch!) so the 2500/30
educational prices compare very well with the IIci (which is a 68030
machine running at 25Mhz with graphics built in).   So depending on
what you WANT a clone may be a better deal for you, but don't just
look at price.

-rick Golembiewski (rg20)

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (03/02/90)

In article <5527@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
>system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
>monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
> Room 274 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
> INTERNET: jea@cvs.rochester.edu

This may be true, it may not, but what OS you going to run on the
thing?  MS-DOS? -- there goes the useability of your 3Megs of
memory...  OS/2? -- there goes the price difference.. :)

Personal aside:  Rochester is a beautiful city when it's sunny... :)

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
"Think you can, think you can't -- either way it's true."  Henry Ford

dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) (03/02/90)

From article <8ZvN8Vy00UgyI1flpP@andrew.cmu.edu>, by rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski):
>>Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
>>system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
>>monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
>>(ed discount price). Is this true?

I know someone who just received their system from Gateway.

386 20 Mhz
4 meg memory
ATI VGA WOnder Card (1024x768)
NEC 3D monitor (1024x768)
65 meg RLL microscience hard disk
1.44 Meg 3 1/2 floppy
1.2 Meg  5 1/4 floppy

$2800
--

					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
					att!ihlpz!dalka

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/03/90)

In article <5527@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
>system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
>monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
>(ed discount price). Is this true?

Yes, if you look at ads for Gateway 2000 PC, for example, you can buy a 20MHZ
80386 PC with 4Meg of RAM, 2 floppy drive, 65Meg hard drive, 16-bit VGA card,
and monitor for $2795.  Prices on the PC market is always very competitive.

perley@trub.crd.ge.com (Donald P Perley) (03/03/90)

In article <22556@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:
>In article <5527@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>>Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
>>system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
>>monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600

>This may be true, it may not, but what OS you going to run on the
>thing?  MS-DOS? -- there goes the useability of your 3Megs of
>memory...  OS/2? -- there goes the price difference.. :)

Also... OS/2? there goes your 3 megs... Better make that 4..

A while back on the graphics newsgroup, someone was saying that he was
getting about the same speed out of a 20 MHz '386 as he did with a 7mHz
68000 based amiga running the same ray-trace program.  Presumably the
data was big enough to choke under the MSDOS memory juggling  on the '386.

(note that this was just the computations, no help from blitter, etc)

-don perley

perley@trub.crd.ge.com

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/03/90)

Assertion :
>>Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
>>system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
>>monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
>>(ed discount price). Is this true?

(Rick Francis Golembiewski) responds:
>Humm... Could be, although the best prices I've seen were about:
>$1800 25Mhz 386 1MB no HD
>$300 40MB HD
>$600 VGA monitor & card
>say another $200-300 or so for more memory (really depends if there is
>space for it on the motherboard, what speed/package it needs)
>For a total of $2900.

You have to add a mouse
$50 for a cheap one

And an AdLib card to get the sound capability
$350

And a serial port/parallel port/game port :
$40

Generally you have to by DOS too, whats installed on the disk
may or may not be complete, and it doesn't include manuals :
$70

That is another $500 to the price.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

bn@attcc.UUCP (03/05/90)

In article <5527@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
>system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
>monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
> Room 274 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
> INTERNET: jea@cvs.rochester.edu

Don't forget, that with the Ed. Disc. Amiga 2500/30 package you also get the AT bridgeboard. Do you get an extra Amiga when you buy a '386 clone?   8-)
In addition, if you add AMAX to the system, you can run just about anything.
(Well, maybe not the Atari ST software  8-)

Bo Najdrovsky
UUCP:  att!mwood!attcc!bn
INET:  mwood!attcc!bn@ATT.ATT.COM

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (03/06/90)

In article <5527@ur-cc.UUCP>, jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
> Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
> system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
> monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
> (ed discount price). Is this true?

I new IBM system cost breakdown:

$1200		80386 20 MHz Mylex motherboard(AMI Bios) with 64K 80ns ram cache
$500		4 Megs 80ns Ram on the motherboard
$400		80387 20 MHz co-processor
$ 50		5 1/4, 1.2Meg floppy
$ 50		3 1/2, 1.4Meg floppy
$400		65 Meg RLL Toshiba Harddisk RLL
$100		Western Digital controller WD1006-RLL
$600		NEC Multisync 3D Monitor (.31)
$300		Super High res VGA card with 512K memory (1024x768)i,(800x600)ni
$ 50		2 serial, 1 parallel, 1 game ports
$ 50		101 extended keyboard
$200		Tower Case with 220 watt power supply
--------
$3900.00 + Tax

This has been a great system. I think this is about the going costs for
an IBM system.  The computing power is about 5 times faster than an AMIGA
not including the co-processor.  This system runs at about 5600 drystones.
The advantage of the AMIGA system is in its NTSC video and internal sound
capabilities, but this system has the processing power.

Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/06/90)

I notice a lot of post on extra costs that you have to add to an IBM machine.
You can't compare an IBM to an Amiga by adding accessories to an IBM so it looks
like an Amiga!  It only proves that IBM makes a poor Amiga.  Each machine has
its own strength and weakness.  Comparing computers in such matters proves
nothing.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (03/07/90)

In article <4251@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
>I new IBM system cost breakdown [sic]:
>
>$1200		80386 20 MHz Mylex motherboard(AMI Bios) with 64K 80ns ram cache
>$500		4 Megs 80ns Ram on the motherboard
>$400		80387 20 MHz co-processor
>The computing power is about 5 times faster than an AMIGA
>not including the co-processor.  This system runs at about 5600 drystones.
>The advantage of the AMIGA system is in its NTSC video and internal sound
>capabilities, but this system has the processing power.

	Faster than WHICH Amiga??  Certainly an 80386 with coprocessor
is faster than a stock 68000 Amiga!  But I doubt it is "5 times faster"
than an Amiga with 68030/68882 and 4 meg 32-bit RAM, especially since
that Amiga system benchmarks faster than 5600 dhrystones.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

davidw@telxon.UUCP (David Wright) (03/07/90)

	Don't you hate how these people:
	1) Always use bargain-basement prices. Checking a recent Byte
		gave me prices on the average of $150-200 more on everything
		he listed, the worst being 4 meg of 80ns RAM.
	2) Always overlooking the most important aspect of having color,
		a mouse, windowing, multitasking, etc. Namely, the level
		of integration into the system OS and the amount of
		software that supports it. The IBM has several different
		windowing systems, and they are all incompatible with
		each other. They also have a very large amount of overhead
		in your executable. And multitasking under OS/S is a joke.
		The amount of memory required to do it definately rules it out
		for the average user, and it can only run 1 program in dos
		emulation at a time.
	The Amiga on the other hand, can very effectively multitask with only
512k (and even 256k, if you still have one of the really old 1000's). It's
windowing system adds very little overhead to your programs, and there is one
standard for the mouse, graphics, windows, etc.

In article <4251@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
>In article <5527@ur-cc.UUCP>, jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>> Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
>> system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
>> monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
>> (ed discount price). Is this true?        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>I new IBM system cost breakdown: [...]
>$3900.00 + Tax
>This has been a great system. I think this is about the going costs for
>an IBM system.  The computing power is about 5 times faster than an AMIGA
>not including the co-processor.  This system runs at about 5600 drystones.

Huh?  What are you smoking?  The comparison, as shown above, was against
an A2500/30, you know, the 25MHz 68030 machine.  It does about 6500 Dhrystones
(2.1) with the old Lattice compiler; I don't know the latest figure.  The
A2500/30's math is also faster, though if you use a '387 and not a '287,
you can at least be in the same neighborhood as the 2500/30's 68882, which
claims to run between 1/3 and 1/2 MFLOPS, depending on what you're doing
with it.

>The advantage of the AMIGA system is in its NTSC video and internal sound
>capabilities, but this system has the processing power.

That IBM system is faster than a plain A2000, sure.  It's also considerably
more expensive.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (03/08/90)

> In article <4251@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
>
>A new IBM system cost breakdown: [...]
>$3900.00 + Tax

Regardless of the performance of this type of system versus an Amiga,
you get what you pay for.  Example:

I spent my entire day today with one of those really cheap, really
high performance systems.  I'll neglect to mention the manufacturer
but the overall construction of the system was atrocious.  The system
was a 20MHz '386/387 with a 330MB ESDI drive and VGA card.  For this
we paid over $4600, a great deal of that was the drive.  Anyhow, the
cards barely seated into the connectors due to a poorly welded case
and bracket frame.  The cover was ill-fitted.  Well you get my drift.
I'm convinced that the low cost will be offset by the poor quality of
this machine and that my department will pay for this in the long run.

But what is my point?  I've opened my Amiga 2500 several times and find
the quality of workmanship to very good.  Yes, I've heard of poorly
seated chips, etc, but still feel like the quality is good.  My
point is that comparing similarly performing machines of radically
differing cost will always reveal some significant difference, in this
case the construction quality, so do so very carefully.

Lastly, after configuring every card and double checking to make sure
that I/O space and interrupts don't conflict, I'm glad that the
AutoConfig(R) specification of the Amiga makes the developer handle
that stuff.

Of course you guys knew all this already.

*AutoConfig is a registered trademark of Commodore Electronics, Ltd.

--
|------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|                    -Mr. Spock

In <4252@vaxwaller.UUCP>, richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:

>Even with a 68030 running at 33 MHz the AMIGA would still have its
>co-processors running at 7 MHz.  The death knell of the AMIGA is in the
>fact that CBM did not keep pace with its co-processors.

Look at results, not specs.

>  A 640x400 16 color
>interlaced display today is a joke.  A 640x400 noninterlaced display with
>only 4 colors is laughable.

Well, make that 640*400 with 16 colours, and it's less laughable.  Mention
that it can be directly recorded onto videotape or put out to a TV, and
it's a LOT less of a joke, if you happen to require NTSC capability.  If
you don't, fine.  Just proves that not everyone's needs are the same.
It would be just as valid for me to talk about NTSC and HAM mode and say
that only 256 colours is a joke, and that VGA is laughable. Want to talk
about animation? Want to talk about seamless multitasking without having
to mortgage the house or put up with running only certain programs
together?

  The system I discribed has a 800x600 noninterlaced
>256 color display and a 1024x768 interlaced 16 color display at 84 Hz
>which has very little flicker.

Very little flicker and no NTSC compatibility. Better? No, just different.

>  A comparable AMIGA system would require
>a flicker fixer at least to get a 640x400 noninterlaced 16 color
>display (about $500 more).

How much for an NTSC converter?

>  The real world price of a comparable system does not exist unfortuneately.

Ahh.. my point exactly. There is no comparison. There is no such thing as
'a comparably equipped '386 machine'.

> I am very disapointed with CBM. I still
>feel they were the first with a real-time operating system and higher
>resolution screens but didn't keep improving the product fast enough
>to stay competitive.

The only reasons CBM is not competetive is because the market that buys
the most machines doesn't think the Amiga has much going for it. The
reason I don't buy a '386 machine is because I don't think it has much
going for it. Such is life.

-larry

--
Entymology bugs me.

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (03/09/90)

In article <1181@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>, lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
> In <5527@ur-cc.UUCP>, jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
> >Several folk here claim that an equivalently loaded IBM-clone
> >system with 40 meg HD, 3 Megs ram, '386 and VGA graphics with
> >monitor costs $600-800 less than than the A2500/30 at $3600
> >(ed discount price). Is this true?

Even with a 68030 running at 33 MHz the AMIGA would still have its
co-processors running at 7 MHz.  The death knell of the AMIGA is in the
fact that CBM did not keep pace with its co-processors.  A 640x400 16 color
interlaced display today is a joke.  A 640x400 noninterlaced display with
only 4 colors is laughable.  The system I discribed has a 800x600 noninterlaced
256 color display and a 1024x768 interlaced 16 color display at 84 Hz
which has very little flicker.  A comparable AMIGA system would require
a flicker fixer at least to get a 640x400 noninterlaced 16 color
display (about $500 more).  The real world price of a comparable system
does not exist unfortuneately. I am very disapointed with CBM. I still

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (03/09/90)

*
[...]

Yes, 1024x768 resolution when you get the driver for each piece of software
that can use these kludges.  Add multi-tasking and you can't keep up for
double the cost of a 2500/30.  But hey, TSR's are the same thing as
multi-tasking, right? 8^).  Any program I run is capable of running on ANY
Amiga system regardless of display types.  We will never see any resolve of
comparing apples to oranges.  Use the right tool for the right job, whatever
the case.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (03/10/90)

In article <4422@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> In article <4251@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
> >I new IBM system cost breakdown [sic]:
> >
> >$1200		80386 20 MHz Mylex motherboard(AMI Bios) with 64K 80ns ram cache
> >$500		4 Megs 80ns Ram on the motherboard
> >$400		80387 20 MHz co-processor
> >The computing power is about 5 times faster than an AMIGA
> >not including the co-processor.  This system runs at about 5600 drystones.
>
> 	Faster than WHICH Amiga??  Certainly an 80386 with coprocessor
> is faster than a stock 68000 Amiga!  But I doubt it is "5 times faster"

No I'm comparing this to my AMIGA 1000.

	Four years ago AMIGA		Today IBM
	--------------------		---------
	$2500 AMIGA system		$2400 IBM 80386 with 80387 co-processor
	$ 500 Monitor (Sony)		$ 600 Monitor NEC 3D
	$1000 20Meg harddisk 		$ 500 65 Meg Harddisk 28msec
	$ 700 2Meg memory		$ 400 4 Megs of 80ns memory
	-----				------
	$4700				$3800
	+ $$$$$ for software		+ $$$$$ for software

	Four years ago a dollar was worth more!

A comparable AMIGA system today would include an accelerator board,
flicker fixer and a 65 meg HD and would cost around $7000.00, and
would still only have a screen resolution of 640x400,16 color.

I still think the AMIGA has a lot going for it when you include its
multitasking operating system, sound and video capabilities. BUT,
is the increased cost for the extra processing and display capabilities
worth the extra bucks?
Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (03/10/90)

[More "PC Clones" vs. Amiga junk. Hit 'n' now or forever hold your flames...]

In article <4254@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
>No I'm comparing this to my AMIGA 1000.
>	Four years ago AMIGA		Today IBM
>	--------------------		---------
>	Four years ago a dollar was worth more!
     Ack! Urgh! Ow! Ick!
     REALITY CHECK... REALITY CHECK... ALERT... ALERT...
     Four years ago a dollar was NOT! worth more in computing power! This
comparison is entirely out of whack. Four years ago, a dollar was worth
MUCH LESS THAN it is now in computing power.
     Just for ease of reference, let's set the Wayback machine to 1985,
Sherman... what do we find? $5000 for an 80286 - and that's top of the
line equiment.
     Set it to 10 years back and the Really Hot System is a 6502 with a
hacked-up full 64K of RAM, a Corvus hard drive, and a colour monitor;
around a $6000 unit. (It has been a while, so if any numbers are off,
my apologies.)
>A comparable AMIGA system today would include an accelerator board,
>flicker fixer and a 65 meg HD and would cost around $7000.00, and
                                                     ^^^^^^^^
>would still only have a screen resolution of 640x400,16 color.
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(Actually, more like 680 by 440 usable, 704 by 480 using Extreme Overscan
and the right monitor. Also, 4096 colour "hacks" are available and do work.
Not much software supports it yet, but then again, how much software supported
EGA or VGA when they first came out? This isn't to say that they're
substitutes for New Graphics Cards, but they're still Nice To Have.)
     And $7000? I really, really don't think so... let's see, I seem to recall
that a 2500 with 40 meg runs around $4000; swap up hard drives (be
extravagant - $400 more); flickerfixer, $500; VGA monitor, $400; that's
$5300. Now, what advantages do you get?
     1) A multitasking operating system; the IBM equivalant runs $500,
but whoops! No applications, and it's slower the Amiga because of all that
nasty overhead.
     2) Video compatibility. IBM land; $500; more for a good unit, less for
an ElCheapo.
     3) Applications that work together. I use this constantly. I've tried
doing similar things in MS-DOS that I do on my Amy every day - abort, retry,
fail. :-)
     4) Real Sound.
>I still think the AMIGA has a lot going for it when you include its
>multitasking operating system, sound and video capabilities. BUT,
>is the increased cost for the extra processing and display capabilities
>worth the extra bucks?
     I think so. I HATE single-tasking systems now. I used to not mind them.
In fact, that's where I started out (1977 TRS-80 Model Only, 4K, Level I
BASIC.) But I wouldn't go back.
     Yes, the Amiga needs new high-end graphics boards THAT ARE SUPPORTED.
There are, after all, high-end boards available now. The FrameGrabber and
the Transputer boards come to mind. Also, the Black Belt box is really not
a bad unit for video work. There's also the Hedley mode monitor, which DOES
have support from all programmes that use the Workbench.
     But the high-end processor boards are Here Now and are supported. The
RAM limit is very high. (9 meg autoconfig, 64 meg total if I understand it
correctly - I don't have these Neato Things... :-) ) The cost is NOT a
problem - and I don't mean just when you take performance into account
either. (Read PC-WEEK, the most recent issue. Mail-order price wars are
going away, and clone prices will be rising, if this information is
correct...)
     Other than the video - which is still just Very Much Faster than most
VGA cards out there - I really don't see what your point is.
                                                       - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor, LOW ORBIT | PLink: Skywise | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet |

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (03/11/90)

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins)  writes:

No I'm comparing this to my AMIGA 1000.

>       Four years ago AMIGA            Today IBM
>       --------------------            ---------
>       $2500 AMIGA system              $2400 IBM 80386 with 80387 co-processor
>       $ 500 Monitor (Sony)            $ 600 Monitor NEC 3D
>       $1000 20Meg harddisk            $ 500 65 Meg Harddisk 28msec
>       $ 700 2Meg memory               $ 400 4 Megs of 80ns memory
>       -----                           ------
>       $4700                           $3800
>       + $$$$$ for software            + $$$$$ for software
>
>       Four years ago a dollar was worth more!
You forgot a VERY big consideration for the amiga side +4YEARS USE of
a COMPUTER.  Computers (and cars) are in general a TERRIBLE investment
because their sale price plummets as newer techonology comes out. So
why ever buy a omputer?  Because it give you a certain amount of
utility be it increased productivity on a job, or enjoyment from
playing games, or the joy of having a very expensive door stop. Also
don't compare today's technology to yesterdays technology... Ever used
an apple II+?  I got one for $3K in 1980 with 48K and 1  143K floppy
drive, wow that is an incredibly  slow machine for $3K, I could get a
really cool 386 today with that money and $3K was worth more in
1980.... However I wouldn't have had a computer for 10  years!  Now 4
years ago, you couldn't GET a 386, and 286es were NOT cheap, When I
got my amiga system (in late '86), here was the costs:

Amiga: $1295 (monitor & CPU)
IBM 286 clone: $900 CPU (6Mhz 640K 1 floppy drive)+$1000 EGA
monitor+display card+$100 MS-DOS.  So a CLONE with about the same
functionality, but inferior graphics as the amiga I got cost about
about $800 more.  This is the reaason I got an amiga, if you keep
waiting for technology to get better then yes you will be able to get
a more  powerful machine for less money, but you also have to do
without a machine, so you have to decide when you need the machine,
and what you can actually buy.

-Rick Golembiewski rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu

In article <YZyGgwW00WB2F6LK4u@andrew.cmu.edu> rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:
>richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins)  writes:
>
>No I'm comparing this to my AMIGA 1000.
>>
>>       Four years ago AMIGA            Today IBM
>>       --------------------            ---------
>>       $2500 AMIGA system              $2400 IBM 80386 with 80387 co-processor
>>       $ 500 Monitor (Sony)            $ 600 Monitor NEC 3D
>>       $1000 20Meg harddisk            $ 500 65 Meg Harddisk 28msec
>>       $ 700 2Meg memory               $ 400 4 Megs of 80ns memory
>>       -----                           ------
>>       $4700                           $3800
>>       + $$$$$ for software            + $$$$$ for software
>>
>>       Four years ago a dollar was worth more!
>You forgot a VERY big consideration for the amiga side +4YEARS USE of
>a COMPUTER.  Computers (and cars) are in general a TERRIBLE investment

	Fellow Amigans, let's face facts: any comparison between an
equivalently equipped Amiga and PC CLONE will usually give a cheaper
clone, for what most people want. When I say equivalent, I mean equal
memory, hard drive space, software. The comparison above isn't valid
because the $400 for 4MB of 80ns can't possibly be 32 bit, as the $700
is. I have recently seen 2MB of 32bit ram sold for $500 installed.
	An IBM will probably be somewhat more than an Amiga, although
clones are generally less. However, you don't get the same kind of
machine. You get MS-DOS. You don't get multitasking or a friendly
environment. You get memory-management problems because of 640K
barriers. There are definitely advantages to the Amiga, but if you are
looking for some cheapy word processor, I would not recommend the
Amiga for most people, primarily as you would end up with either a
flickery screen or a low-res screen.
	The Amiga's advantages are shown in its flexibility to use
multiple programs. If your interests are more varied than word
processing, or if you are looking for a higher end machine, then the
Amiga gains the high-road. But let's stop trying to say that Amigas
are cheaper than clones. They aren't, even with educational discounts,
to someone who only needs IBM Compatibility and what comes with that.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (03/11/90)

In article <4254@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
+
+	Four years ago AMIGA		Today IBM
+	--------------------		---------
+	$2500 AMIGA system		$2400 IBM 80386 with 80387 co-processor
+	$ 500 Monitor (Sony)		$ 600 Monitor NEC 3D
+	$1000 20Meg harddisk 		$ 500 65 Meg Harddisk 28msec
+	$ 700 2Meg memory		$ 400 4 Megs of 80ns memory
+	-----				------
+	$4700				$3800
+	+ $$$$$ for software		+ $$$$$ for software
+
+	Four years ago a dollar was worth more!

Not in the computer industry!  Anybody can see that prices have fallen
through the floor.  $700 for 2Meg of memory?  How can you possibly think that
this price comparison makes ->any<- sense??

+A comparable AMIGA system today would include an accelerator board,
+flicker fixer and a 65 meg HD and would cost around $7000.00, and
+would still only have a screen resolution of 640x400,16 color.

Well, gee wizz...I got my A2500/30, with a 24-pin printer, modem, multi-sync
monitor, 3Meg of memory, and a 40 Meg harddisk, all for less than $4000.

+I still think the AMIGA has a lot going for it when you include its
+multitasking operating system, sound and video capabilities. BUT,
+is the increased cost for the extra processing and display capabilities
+worth the extra bucks?

I just don't see any extra bucks...How much did an AT cost 4 years ago?

+--
+--
+Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
+Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
+{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc
+
--
Ken Yarnall                             yarnall@cs.scarolina.EDU
Math Department, USC			yarnall@ucseast.UUCP

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/11/90)

">" == Rich Commins

Rich, give it a rest, your losing fast. To wit ...

>No I'm comparing this to my AMIGA 1000.
>	Four years ago AMIGA		Today IBM

First off this is really ill advised, primarily because you admit you are
comparing incompatible things right from the start, but do it anyway! Pick
either "today" prices or "4 years ago" prices. So tell me what was the
price of a 20Mhz 386 system 4 years ago? Hmmmm ?

>	Four years ago a dollar was worth more!

Not a computer dollar silly! Everyone knows that every year the amount of
computer power a dollar will buy goes up. For the price of a Sun 3/60 + Disk
four years ago, you can buy a SparcStation + Disk today. That is a jump from
3Mips to 12Mips! So what? So quit trying to justify your IBM PC purchase
by creating an artifical environment in which it is a good deal. You don't
have to, we don't care !

> A comparable AMIGA system today would include an accelerator board,
> flicker fixer and a 65 meg HD and would cost around $7000.00, and
> would still only have a screen resolution of 640x400,16 color.

A comparable Amiga system today starts with a 2500/30 and goes from
there. As *everyone* has explained to you, it costs less than $7,000
and it is faster than the 20MHZ 386 system and it can do things that
your silly IBM can't. So what is the point!

>I still think the AMIGA has a lot going for it when you include its
>multitasking operating system, sound and video capabilities. BUT,
>is the increased cost for the extra processing and display capabilities
>worth the extra bucks?

Obviously not to you, everyone can appreciate that. Everyone is glad you
have a fast new system, and no I don't think anyone is bothered that it
isn't an Amiga. Just go play with it and have fun! That is the meaning
of life.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (03/12/90)

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins)  writes:

>       Four years ago AMIGA            Today IBM
>       --------------------            ---------
>       $2500 AMIGA system              $2400 IBM 80386 with 80387 co-processor
>       $ 500 Monitor (Sony)            $ 600 Monitor NEC 3D
>       $1000 20Meg harddisk            $ 500 65 Meg Harddisk 28msec
>       $ 700 2Meg memory               $ 400 4 Megs of 80ns memory
>       -----                           ------
>       $4700                           $3800
>       + $$$$$ for software            + $$$$$ for software
>
>       Four years ago a dollar was worth more!

What about a VGA graphics card (Or higher) for the Clone machine.  And why is
harddisk so expensive for the Amy?  You can get a controller for ~$200 and
then buy the same harddisk that you put in the Clone.  Plus you forgot the
controller card for the clone (a good one cost at least $100).  And for
most memory upgrades you can match the price of the Clone +$100 for  a card
to put it on.

If you are going to compare prices, at least you could compare all of the same
pieces.

On top of all that My A500 beats the pants off of any clone I've seen in terms
of usefulness.  Multitasking and windowing is far superior on the Amy (and
faster).  Go try an OS/2 machine someday (and add $500 to the cost of the
clone for the operating system) wow, talk about slow.  Looks like an
Apple IIgs (That's Apple II Gruellingly Slow).

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

icsu8212@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Stone) (03/13/90)

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins)  writes:

>       Four years ago AMIGA            Today IBM
>       --------------------            ---------
>       $2500 AMIGA system              $2400 IBM 80386 with 80387 co-processor
>       $ 500 Monitor (Sony)            $ 600 Monitor NEC 3D
>       $1000 20Meg harddisk            $ 500 65 Meg Harddisk 28msec
>       $ 700 2Meg memory               $ 400 4 Megs of 80ns memory
>       -----                           ------
>       $4700                           $3800
>       + $$$$$ for software            + $$$$$ for software
>
>       Four years ago a dollar was worth more!

(And an IBM is STILL worth less!)

Is this guy for real??  Why doesn't he bother to compare TODAY's
Amiga with Today's IBM?  Oh sure the monitor's cheaper, I have a 1084S
which I am tremendously pleased with and cost only $295!  The hard drive
is the same price since you can use the same drive in either machine, the
Amiga controller may cost more but that is because the typical Amiga
controller is DMA!  I can buy a 105MB Quantum drive: 19ms 1MB/sec WITH a
controller for $1000!  Furhtermore, what about his VGA card, and sound board?
(Not that IBM has put out any sound comparable to the Amiga)  I also just
purchased 2MB RAM for $349 including the board from LightSpeed in Oregon!
Does his system come with the built-in ability to mount RAM drives?  How
about direct access to the added memory that *ANY* program can use (no page
swapping garbage)?

It is people like this that I love to introduce to Cross Dos, especially
when (using their new VGA board at $$$$?) they put up their petty 640x420
by 256 color pictures and say "Let's see your Amiga do THAT!"  I take
immense pleasure in taking THEIR disk, placing it in MY Amiga and proceding
to show them the same picture in HAM mode using 2/3 the memory and having
4096 colors (ok you have to use the arrow keys to see the bottom 20 pixels).
And then just to rub it in, remind them that the graphics chips come STANDARD
with the Amiga!

    //X\\                     |  {uunet|relay} icsu8212@caesar.cs.montana.edu
   /// \\\   AMIGA HACKER     |   Murphy's First Law: (un-amended)
  ///         Mike Stone      |          Nothing can possibly go wrong.

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:

>No I'm comparing this to my AMIGA 1000.

>	Four years ago AMIGA		Today IBM
>	--------------------		---------
>	$2500 AMIGA system		$2400 IBM 80386 with 80387 co-processor
>	$ 500 Monitor (Sony)		$ 600 Monitor NEC 3D
>	$1000 20Meg harddisk 		$ 500 65 Meg Harddisk 28msec
>	$ 700 2Meg memory		$ 400 4 Megs of 80ns memory
>	-----				------
>	$4700				$3800
>	+ $$$$$ for software		+ $$$$$ for software

WHAT? $2500 for an amiga 1000? Boy do I have some land in Florida I want
to sell you!

The Amiga 1000 was selling for $1295 four years ago. I paid $795 for mine
(educational discount) but most places were selling them for around $1000.

So your price should have been $3495. But you have to realize that back
then the 386 did not exist. The comparable system would have been a
80286. The Amiga 1000 was new technology back then. And the 80286 would
have ran you around $5000 or $6000 for an EGA system with 1 meg of memory.

>	Four years ago a dollar was worth more!

Ha! Every year your dollar buys you more and more computing power, not less.
Today, you can get your 386 system for less than a 286 system cost in 1986.
And you can buy an your Amiga system (except you get an Amiga 2000, with
slots) for about this:

Amiga 2000 --     $1600
20 meg drive/2091 $ 500
2 meg memory      $ 160
multisync monitor $ 400
--------------------------
Total             $2660

So compare that to the IBM system. And remember, it's not IBM, it's just a
clone. You go out and buy IBM and it's gonna run you around $10,000 for the
same system.

I have seen the Amiga 2500 (68020 with 40meg hard drive and 2 meg 32 bit mem)
for $3300. Add in $400 for a multisync monitor and you still come out ahead
of your IBM clone system.

I just wanted to correct you on misleading prices. If you want to know the
truth, you CAN get a clone cheaper than an equivelent Amiga system. That's
because of the extreme numbers of clone makers out there. Volume means lower
prices. I bet with a little research you could get a 386 machine and monitor
for about $3000. But don't go inflating the Amiga prices to make them look
worse.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (03/13/90)

In article <2044@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM>, stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) writes:

> Yes, 1024x768 resolution when you get the driver for each piece of software
> that can use these kludges.  Add multi-tasking and you can't keep up for
>
> Steve

Your point is well taken.  One of the main advantages of the AMIGA system
was ALL the systems had the same capabilities.  A program could be written
that included stero sound and 640x400i color graphics, and everyone's AMIGA
(including the A1000) could run the software.  Not so with IBM.

Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

In article <4254@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
>In article <4422@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

>> 	Faster than WHICH Amiga??  Certainly an 80386 with coprocessor
>> is faster than a stock 68000 Amiga!  But I doubt it is "5 times faster"

>No I'm comparing this to my AMIGA 1000. [...] Four years ago a dollar was worth more!

Imagine that!  And back in '79, I payed $1200 for a 16K Exidy Sorcerer
system that gave me a 60x30 character display and stored its programs on
cassette tapes at 1200 Baud.  Way back in '79, a dollar was worth even
more than in '84 or '90.  But computer technology changes far faster than
just about anything.  Whatever you buy today, if you can even upgrade it
to what's available in five years, you'll be lucky.  If you can upgrade it
for less than it would cost to throw out your hardware and start over
from scratch, you'll be real lucky.  If you can still use your software
(which soon eats up more of your money than the hardware, unless you
write all your own) on the new or upgraded machine while taking full
advantage of the new configuration, you should really thank whomever made
such an amazing thing possible.

>A comparable AMIGA system today would include an accelerator board,
>flicker fixer and a 65 meg HD and would cost around $7000.00, and
>would still only have a screen resolution of 640x400,16 color.

As pointed out, a new Amiga system with all that won't cost $7,000.
The end result won't give you VGA graphics; then again, your 16MHz
PClone has a bad expansion bus and slow, CPU driven hard disk.  You'd
spend more upgrading an A1000 to today's standards, but then again,
you'd spend alot upgrading any 1985 computer to 1990 standards.  And
at least with the upgraded A1000, all those boxes of software on
your shelf still run, maybe even all at once.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) (03/14/90)

All the price/performance estimates I've seen are ridiculous.  Who
cares about a few pixels here, a couple of colors there?  Whatever
the configuration, both systems are guaranteed to generate endless
articles claiming superiority.  The testosterone gets so thick you
can smell it.  Maybe we need a new benchmark to measure how much
user loyalty a system generates.  Bhoaststone perhaps?

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

BTW  I own both a PC klone and an Amiga.  I like them both.

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (03/15/90)

In article <3163@cello.UUCP>, robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:
> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins)  writes:
> >       Four years ago AMIGA            Today IBM
> >       --------------------            ---------
> >       $4700                           $3800
> >
> What about a VGA graphics card (Or higher) for the Clone machine.  And why is
> harddisk so expensive for the Amy?  You can get a controller for ~$200 and
> then buy the same harddisk that you put in the Clone.  Plus you forgot the
> controller card for the clone (a good one cost at least $100).  And for
> most memory upgrades you can match the price of the Clone +$100 for  a card

The clone price above includes a VGA card that has 512k of memory and has a
maximum resolution of 1024x768i with 16 colors.  It also includes a Western
Digital 2FD+2HD RLL controller card.  I agree that these prices are low even
for a clone, and the quality of the case is not the best, but the quality of
the boards and the performance of the machine is tops.

The harddisk for the AMIGA was cheap at the time.  The the AMIGA first came
out, the harddisks were around $1500.00.  The reason for this was because the
harddisk required an external box, power supply and interface connector.

In article <3505@caesar.cs.montana.edu>, icsu8212@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Stone) writes:
> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins)  writes:
> >       Four years ago AMIGA            Today IBM
> >       --------------------            ---------
> >       $4700                           $3800
>
> It is people like this that I love to introduce to Cross Dos, especially
> when (using their new VGA board at $$$$?) they put up their petty 640x420
> by 256 color pictures and say "Let's see your Amiga do THAT!"  I take

OK.  I still have my AMIGA 1000 and if Cross DOS can do this, maybe I should
just keep the machine.  The market for AMIGA 1000's have dropped below there
worth.  My system at todays prices is worth ~$1500.00 and I feel that there
is still more computing power with the AMIGA than the money says.

Where do I get CrossDOS, and how much?

In article <1590@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

> WHAT? $2500 for an amiga 1000? Boy do I have some land in Florida I want
> to sell you!
  I bought my AMIGA 1000 the first year it came out.  People before me paid
  near $4500.00 for their systems.  Prices were very high back then.  How many
  years ago was it anyway?

> So your price should have been $3495. But you have to realize that back
> then the 386 did not exist. The comparable system would have been a
> 80286. The Amiga 1000 was new technology back then. And the 80286 would
  I agree.  The two systems aren't comparible and its unfair to compare
  a 4 to ? year old system to a new system.

> So compare that to the IBM system. And remember, it's not IBM, it's just a
> clone. You go out and buy IBM and it's gonna run you around $10,000 for the
> same system.
  Another good point.  An IBM or Compaq system is much higher in price and
  makes the AMIGA system look inexpensive.

  My original point in this discussion was not in comparing a four year old
  computer to a new one.  Nor was it to complain about how much money the
  AMIGA 1000 cost when I bought it years ago.  It was to complain about the
  lack of display resolution that ALL AMIGA's have today!  Why did CBM let
  the technologically advanced (for its day) AMIGA 1000 fall behind in its
  display.  In my opinion it started when CBM broke up the origial
  (and brilliant) design team that included Dave Hayne and RJ Michel.

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Boing) (03/16/90)

In article <4264@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
:In article <1590@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
:>
:> WHAT? $2500 for an amiga 1000? Boy do I have some land in Florida I want
:> to sell you!
:  I bought my AMIGA 1000 the first year it came out.  People before me paid
:  near $4500.00 for their systems.  Prices were very high back then.  How many
:  years ago was it anyway?

$4,500 for an A1000?  I only paid ~$1,900 for my A1000 with monitor and
512K RAM back in December of '85.  Still using it, too (although I now
have 2.5M RAM and an external floppy).  Maybe you should look into some
Florida real estate...  8)

--
  //    boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!   //
\X/  								       \X/

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:

>In article <1590@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>>
>> WHAT? $2500 for an amiga 1000? Boy do I have some land in Florida I want
>> to sell you!
>  I bought my AMIGA 1000 the first year it came out.  People before me paid
>  near $4500.00 for their systems.  Prices were very high back then.  How many
>  years ago was it anyway?

1985. and they were not that expensive even then. I know, I bought mine then.
The monitor was about $500, the A1000 was about $1300. You said $2500 for
just the Amiga 1000. I say you got ripped off or are remembering wrong.

>  lack of display resolution that ALL AMIGA's have today!  Why did CBM let
>  the technologically advanced (for its day) AMIGA 1000 fall behind in its
>  display.  In my opinion it started when CBM broke up the origial
>  (and brilliant) design team that included Dave Hayne and RJ Michel.

It's one thing to come out with a new innovative machine with all new hard
ware, but after you release it you get locked into a catch-22 like situation.
You have to stay compatible with the software already out there or you
risk losing your customers, and you need to keep improving your hardware
or you fall behind in the market. Standards are the biggest stumbling block
in the way of innovation, but they are also the only thing that keeps us
from going broke and insane trying to keep up with new technology.

Once you commit yourself to a specific standard (such as MSDOS, VGA, Amiga
graphics, NTSC) you have to support it. That makes improvements slow down.
The Amiga is coming out with some new graphic modes (needs more if you ask
me) but it's not as big a leap as when the amiga first came out (compare
amiga graphics to the EGA standard of the day).

---
Sideline: Hey Dave Haynie: since CBM is changing 2 of the three custom
chips to improve the graphics, why not go all out and give us a new
disk controller so AmigaDOS can support High-Density disk drives? 1.76
meg drives would be nice!

--

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/21/90)

In article <1607@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>1985. and they were not that expensive even then. I know, I bought mine then.
>The monitor was about $500, the A1000 was about $1300. You said $2500 for
>just the Amiga 1000. I say you got ripped off or are remembering wrong.

I think the 1000 was more than $1300, wasn't it?  Much closer to $2000, if
I remember correctly.  Certainly not more than $2000, though.  (I bought mine
Nov. 10, 1985, and the price DID come down quite a bit shortly thereafter; I
distinctly remember the feeling of being screwed.)

>John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
>sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406
>A virtuous life is its own punishment.

 -Chris
--
Chris Lang, University of Michigan, College of Engineering    +1 313 763 1832
      4622 Bursley, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109          chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar20.233946.25114@caen.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:
>I think the 1000 was more than $1300, wasn't it?  Much closer to $2000, if

The $1300 didn't include the monitor, which I think was in the $400-$500 range.

>I remember correctly.  Certainly not more than $2000, though.  (I bought mine
>Nov. 10, 1985, and the price DID come down quite a bit shortly thereafter; I
>distinctly remember the feeling of being screwed.)

You think YOU were screwed?!   What about the excellent dealers with knowledg
able salespeople and 30-50 machines in stock?  These dealers got no price
break when CBM started advertising the A1000 selling for less than the
dealers paid for it!  Selling it at list would have lost the dealers
$150 or so on each sale!  Next thing I know, only Games&Gadgets are selling
them.   <Sigh>                  -- Darren

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/22/90)

In article <14575@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>In article <1990Mar20.233946.25114@caen.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:
>>I think the 1000 was more than $1300, wasn't it?  Much closer to $2000, if
>
>The $1300 didn't include the monitor, which I think was in the $400-$500 range.

I know.  I'm still sure we spent well over $2000, with just an A1000, a
monitor and 256K of memory (the latter cost a couple hundred dollars).

 -Chris
--

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar21.224248.9079@caen.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:

>I know.  I'm still sure we spent well over $2000, with just an A1000, a
>monitor and 256K of memory (the latter cost a couple hundred dollars).

Man!  I must've been lucky!  I was able to get:
A1000
256K add-on (plugged into front)
external drive
monitor
Amiga C (aka Lattice 3.0.3)
for ~$1500 tops (may have been as low as $1295).

That was in May, 1986.

--
Hollywood's Animato Lives!                         ==>  Mike Jittlov  <==
ARPA: rlcarr@space.mit.edu                                   is

In article <1990Mar22.004719.18611@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rlcarr@space.mit.edu (Animato) writes:
>In article <1990Mar21.224248.9079@caen.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:
>
>>I know.  I'm still sure we spent well over $2000, with just an A1000, a
>>monitor and 256K of memory (the latter cost a couple hundred dollars).
>
>Man!  I must've been lucky!  I was able to get:
>A1000
>256K add-on (plugged into front)
>external drive
>monitor
>Amiga C (aka Lattice 3.0.3)
>for ~$1500 tops (may have been as low as $1295).
>
>That was in May, 1986.

Well, the prices I quoted were as of November, 1985, and, as I said, there was
a substantial drop in price shortly thereafter...I don't remember HOW
substantial, but the prices you mentioned don't seem too out of line (although
still pretty good for mid-1986).

 -Chris
--

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar21.224248.9079@caen.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:

>I know.  I'm still sure we spent well over $2000, with just an A1000, a
>monitor and 256K of memory (the latter cost a couple hundred dollars).
>
> -Chris

Yes that sounds about right.  I think I spent right at $2000 for my
512K machine + monitor about 6 mos after the 1000 debuted.  I think
this price included a couple of raggity applications like Textcraft
and something else that I can't recall now...

--
--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

In article <4260@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
[..info about then Amiga prices and now PC-Clone prices deleted..]
>The harddisk for the AMIGA was cheap at the time.  The the AMIGA first came
>out, the harddisks were around $1500.00.  The reason for this was because the
>harddisk required an external box, power supply and interface connector.
Also, SCSI was not very popular, with relatively few
manufacturers/vendors.  Nowadays they are about as easy to find as
ST-506 type and are competitively priced.

>Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\

  /\    from
 /  \_________________________________
/ /\  Chris Dailey, Amiga Enthusiast /
\ \ \___dailey@cpsin1.cps.msu.edu___/
 \  /
  \/

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (03/27/90)

     I remember seeing the price $1745 back in late 1985 in an issue of
 Byte magazine, which reviewed it.  I'm not sure if that price included
 the monitor.  I remember the review raved about the machine, just falling
 short of calling it a godsend.  It was, however, called overpriced, dispite
 being cheaper than a stock AT.

/*  "Come see the violence inherent in the system!"

      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet

                                        "Help!  Help!  I'm being Repressed!" */

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/28/90)

I remember the initial cost as $1795 plus $495 for the monitor.  Just
before I bought mine in December of 87, the price was reduced by $500
meaning they tossed the monitor in for free.  The external drive was
$125 and I forget the price of the expanded chip RAM...$125 I think.

But around here there lots of discounts if you bought a complete
system.  Most prices were quoted as CPU, Monitor, RAM, and one external
disk.

Dana Bourgeois @ Cup.Portal.Com

"that's my two cents"