[comp.sys.amiga] Glimpse of a NEXT...

stefan@hercule.cs.concordia.ca (BUCHHOLZ stefan) (03/19/90)

Hey, I just saw and use my first NEXT machine today. The machine did not
impress me.  It is extremely slow (display postscript), and the floptical
drive is as slow as a floppy (now that's slow!!!).  VERY nice display (B/W),
but as we all know: the look of a computer is the last thing to take into
account.  the guy had a flight simulator on it, and it moved (no joke) about
as smooth as my 4.77 Mhz bridgeboard.  I do hope though that Open Look is as
nicely implemented as the Step seems to be.  Otherwise, as most of my
colleges have said: It's mostly hype.

							Stefy

Stefan Buchholz * Concordia University Computer Science * a.k.a Stefy LePew
stefan@doyle.cs.concordia.ca  > MITE AVsita Multimedia lab system support <<

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (03/19/90)

> Hey, I just saw and use my first NEXT machine today. The machine did not
> impress me.

I doesn't impress me much either, but that largely has something to do
with the machine I'm typing this message on...

> It is extremely slow (display postscript), and the floptical
> drive is as slow as a floppy (now that's slow!!!).

I didn't think the display postscript on the NeXT was that slow,
though there are certainly faster machines out there.  The floptical
drive is indeed slow, but the only mistake NeXT made with the drive
was assigning it to a purpose for which it was not intended -- that of
being the main storage device for the system.  Since then, they've
added a fast hard disk to the system, which greatly speeds up normal
system operation.  It's a good combination of having a fast hard disk
for paging and the like, and having oodles of on-line storage for
images, audio, dictionaries, utilities, and the like.

> VERY nice display (B/W),
> but as we all know: the look of a computer is the last thing to take into
> account.

only if you're an engineer.  To the customer, the look of the computer
is one of the first things they take into account.  You have to
understand that simple fact if you want to sell a computer system in
today's marketplace.

> the guy had a flight simulator on it, and it moved (no joke) about
> as smooth as my 4.77 Mhz bridgeboard.

which is hardly an authoritative benchmark between systems.  The
graphics in the flight simulator could have been written in PostScript
for all you know.

>  I do hope though that Open Look is as
> nicely implemented as the Step seems to be.

What was that you said about the look of a computer?

> Otherwise, as most of my
> colleges have said: It's mostly hype.

Only if you consider the Amiga mostly hype as well.  The NeXT machine
has one big thing in common with the Amiga.  Both machines were the
first to integrate several important features in their respective
marketplaces (Amiga in the PC market, NeXT in the workstation
market).  The other thing the NeXT machine has in common with the
Amiga is that it failed to make a significant dent in the marketplace,
even despite Steve Jobs' reputation as a "pseduo-visionary" (my
term), and the amount of exposure he's received in the media.

				--M

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

	The other important thing to note about the next is that it
doesn't come with a postscript laser, just a regular 400dpi laser. All
the postscript --> laser calculations are done internally. This leads
to incredible slowdowns. When I was printing a page (a ps doc) I had
to wait just to type into the unix CLI. The letter wouldn't appear
immediately! That is SLOW!
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

	"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold
fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

	NewTek says, "if you are waiting for the toaster, get your
bread ready." Well, I say my bread is now stale so they'd better be
making a microwave!

jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Darc Tangent) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar19.200738.31312@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
> 	The other important thing to note about the next is that it
> doesn't come with a postscript laser, just a regular 400dpi laser. All
> the postscript --> laser calculations are done internally. This leads
> to incredible slowdowns. When I was printing a page (a ps doc) I had
> to wait just to type into the unix CLI. The letter wouldn't appear
> immediately! That is SLOW!
> 	-- Ethan

    Well, it does lead to slowdowns when you print, but at least you aren't
wasting enormous amounts of processing power and RAM in the printer (and
the printer costs much less).  Wouldn't appear immediately?  On what laser
printer do your pages appear immediately?  They all have to do the Postscript
calculations which still takes time (might be faster depending on what you're
doing on the NeXT though).  Of course, you could have the file server do all
the printing which eliminates the slowdown for the individual users.

> Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

--

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[]                                                                            []

evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) (03/21/90)

In article <1164.26065e29@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Darc Tangent) writes:
>     Well, it does lead to slowdowns when you print, but at least you aren't
> wasting enormous amounts of processing power and RAM in the printer (and
> the printer costs much less).  Wouldn't appear immediately?  On what laser

What is the printer's processing power and RAM supposed to be used for ?!!!?

Considering that the printer does cost much less, I would rather have my more
expensive computer free instead of doing the things that I bought a printer
with processing power and RAM for !!!! >8-(

--
                                   ________   _________    _______    ________
                                  / _______|  |  ____  \  |  ___  \  / _______|

northrup@wpi.wpi.edu (Jim Northrup) (03/22/90)

In article <1215@sdrc.UUCP> evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) writes:
>In article <1164.26065e29@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.
>>     Well, it does lead to slowdowns when you print, but at least you aren't
>> wasting enormous amounts of processing power and RAM in the printer (and
>> the printer costs much less).  Wouldn't appear immediately?  On what laser

>What is the printer's processing power and RAM supposed to be used for ?!!!?

The premise is that the printer should not have a lot of RAM, since the printer
sits idle 95+% of the time.  Why not have that RAM in your computer instead,
and just put up with the fact that your computer will be imposed upon by the
printer 5% of the time?  Much more efficient use of RAM!

>Considering that the printer does cost much less, I would rather have my more
>expensive computer free instead of doing the things that I bought a printer
>with processing power and RAM for !!!! >8-(

The __REASON__ the printer costs so much less is because it does impose on
the computer's resources, rather than having dedicated resources of its own.
You are advocating that the NeXT printer be more expensive.

It reminds me of the early Macintosh days when it was well known that the
Apple LaserWriter was a better computer than the Mac: it had the same CPU
with a faster clock, and more memory too!  I would rather see a cheap,
idiot printer hooked up to a big, fast computer than the other way around.

BTW: I too have had a chance to play with some NeXT's.  I was not impressed.
I'm using a DECStation now, I've had a chance to play with SparcStations,
and I've used regular SUN workstations a lot.  I like them all better than
the NeXT, despite its Buck Rogers GUI.  And of course, I like my Amiga best
of all.  :-)
--
Jim Northrup                                               northrup@wpi.wpi.edu
Assistant Professor, Mathematical Sciences             WPI, Worcester MA  01609

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar19.200738.31312@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> Ethan Solomita writes:
>	The other important thing to note about the next is that it
>doesn't come with a postscript laser, just a regular 400dpi laser. All
>the postscript --> laser calculations are done internally. This leads
>to incredible slowdowns. When I was printing a page (a ps doc) I had
>to wait just to type into the unix CLI. The letter wouldn't appear
>immediately! That is SLOW!

True, it slows down your system some... However you should also
consider that you're effectively executing the PostScript on a
25MHz 68030 system with virtual memory --- how many PostScript printers
have that kind of power?  The NeXT printer executes and prints large PostScript
files many times faster than the average 68000 or 68020 PostScript laser
printer.

Ali

davidw@telxon.UUCP (David Wright) (03/28/90)

In article <124@next.com> Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:
>True, it slows down your system some... However you should also
>consider that you're effectively executing the PostScript on a
>25MHz 68030 system with virtual memory --- how many PostScript printers
>have that kind of power?  The NeXT printer executes and prints large PostScript

	A BIG "so what?". That sounds a little like the junky Atari ST
laser printer. Basically no memory at all, so it uses the host computers
memory. This is really funny, since some of these systems themselves only
have 512-1 meg, and at least officially, can't be expanded. Single pages
of graphics can be bigger than that.
	I am willing to bet that MOST people would rather have a more
responsive keyboard, and less heavily loaded system than a "fast printer".
	After using one for a while, I have to agree that the NeXT is nothing
more than an overpriced, single-user, multi-tasking system. Basically
a more expensive Amiga. The OS is slower than comparable Unix systems,
performance in all areas is slower than expected, and trying to run even
3 users drains the system so heavily you would think it was clocked at
4 mhz....

--
Telxon: x4350       | davewt@NCoast.ORG         | Programs Plus presents:
uunet!telxon!davidw | uunet!hal!ncoast!davewt   | CoreWar, CRobots, Empire