[comp.sys.amiga] Shitty 3rd party companies

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (03/29/90)

In article <Mar.28.00.05.53.1990.16511@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> In article <1990Mar28.015925.25385@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>
>> 	There have been several losses recently, such as CMI and C
>> Ltd. However, it is my understanding that all CMI products and most C
>
> There are people on this net that don't consider them losses and may
> even attribute their demise to the growing trend for the Amiga market
> to be more upscale, more concerned about quality, and more professional.

I, for one, am absolutely delighted CMI went broke. They sold me a "CMI
Processor Accellerator" which never worked. It crashed the machine
constantly. Their response was astounding. Like Monty Python!
Imagine Palin: Oh yeah. They do that.
Me: But you can hardly call it a processor accellerator, if the processor
ceases to process.
Palin: Ah. Yes well. You see, we didn't know you wanted the Non-crashing
processor accellerator. You didn't stipulate a Non-crashing processor
accellerator when you ordered it did you? Ah well then. I don't see what
you've got to complain about. Of course if you've changed your mind, we can
SELL you a non-crashing one. But that is extra. For the "non-crashing option".
Me: Look. You said this thing will accellerate my processes. Name one thing
I get to do faster by using it!
Palin: Reboot?

I understand C.Ltd has a similar option. Supra? Well the hardware is OK.
It's just that they draw your checks and forget to send the bloody hardware.

I suspect many of these companies have more than overstepped the letter of
the law, and undertake bankrupt proceedings to dissipate those liable for
criminal prossecution more than anything else.

Incidently, a bloke from the company that picked up some of the CMI
products (including the processor incinerator) offered publically to
replace the CMI boards that NEVER (not even a bit) functioned with
something that functions more-or-less-sometimes. In private email, he later
said that, yes, you guessed it, the non-crashing option is extra.

DISCLAIMER (if there's any point): I have heard that the CMI PA worker rather
better on the A2000. This probably relates to the RF noise produced by the
board having less effect in a larger case.

For those folowing the saga: No, Supra have not returned the funds they
drew 4 months ago. They wish me to attemp legal action from Australia
to get $100 back. What they don't know, is I'm gona emigrate :-)

Regards Alan