[comp.sys.amiga] UltraCard vs CanDo

In <13271@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, raf@PRC.Unisys.COM (Ralph A. Foy) writes:
>It's about time to by my machine a present, and after hearing about
>some of the wonderful things Mac users do with hypercard,  I was considering
>getting either UltraCard or CanDo. Mary from Safe Harbor said that her
>husband and son prefer CanDo, but frankly I never heard of it.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with either product they wish to share?

I have both, and CanDo is by far the better product, from a few different
points of view.

Bugs: Very few in CanDo. LOTS in Ultracard. I was unable to build even simple
stacks in Ultracard, using version 1.2.1, and though I hear he has a bug free
version out now, I will be taking a wait-and-see stance.

User interface: Ultracard, Ugh! Cando, Nice!

After having been fished in once before by a product from Mike Lehman
(Maxicomm), and after having heard horror stories about MaxiPlan (Plan-It), I
get the feeling I'll just end up writing off my investment.

CanDo, on the other hand, has allowed me to easily and quickly build a user
interface to control a couple of programs, and has done so without inviting the
GURU.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

raf@PRC.Unisys.COM (Ralph A. Foy) (03/24/90)

It's about time to by my machine a present, and after hearing about
some of the wonderful things Mac users do with hypercard,  I was considering
getting either UltraCard or CanDo. Mary from Safe Harbor said that her
husband and son prefer CanDo, but frankly I never heard of it.

Does anyone have any experience with either product they wish to share?

thanx

ralph

Ralph A Foy                                    UUCP    : raf@burdvax.UUCP
Unisys/Paoli Research Center                   INTERNET: raf@prc.unisys.com
PO Box 517                                            (215) 648-7324 (work)
Paoli, PA 19301                                       (215) 431-2556 (home)
          "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
        encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without
                           understanding."
                     -- Justice Louis B. Brandeis

moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) (03/24/90)

In article <13271@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> raf@PRC.Unisys.COM (Ralph A. Foy) writes:
>It's about time to by my machine a present, and after hearing about
>some of the wonderful things Mac users do with hypercard,  I was considering
>getting either UltraCard or CanDo. Mary from Safe Harbor said that her
>husband and son prefer CanDo, but frankly I never heard of it.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with either product they wish to share?

	CanDo is a meta-language for the Amiga.  I just saw it demo'ed
the other night.  It allows you to interactively produce a standalone,
executable program.  For example, if you are writing a C program and
wish to open a new window, you deal with the NewWindow struct and then
get back a Window struct pointer, etc.  In CanDo, on the other hand,
in order to write code that opens a window, you click on gadgets
and move the mouse to where you want the window to be, and CanDo
produces executable code that does what you asked for.  In other
words, it's a kind of programming environment that allows you to
program with the aid of gadgets, the mouse, screen graphics, etc.
Another way to look at it is that it's a way to program the Amiga
without having to become proficient at C, for example.

	Hope this helps a bit.

	Richard

p.s.  I wasn't really interested in it simply because I know C and
have the Manx compiler for the Amiga.  However, the lady who did the
demo (not an employee of the manufacturer, just a satisfied user) said
she really likes the program.  She had done some IFF pictures in a
paint program and was able to easily incorporate the pictures into her
program via CanDo.

nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) (03/24/90)

It has been said before, and it will probably be said a few more times
now, but Cando is really a great program.  Lots of nice options, easy to
learn and use, very functional.  I recommend it highly.

Ned Schultz     nschultz@polyslo.calpoly.edu

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (03/24/90)

	If CanDo manages to load itself and do a little editing without
crashing, it's got UltraCard beat.

	Actually, I only have version 1.3 or so.  They're up to 1.7 I think,
but I haven't called Diminutive Technologies' (or whatever they call themselves)
BBS do get it.  The phone bill for downloading it from CA to DE would cost more
than just buying another copy of it, and considering I only bought it as
something to fool around with when I'm bored, I really don't think the
price is worth it....

--
  Gibberish             .sig for sale or lease.
  is spoken             Contact don@vax1.acs.udel.edu for more information.

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (03/25/90)

>  Subj: UltraCard vs CanDo
>  Keyw: hypertext, hypermedia, hypercard, hyperetc.
>  Date: Sat Mar 24 1990 04:37

Get CanDo -- I got it to help prototype an application to see if it would be
marketable , and the response is so good I am just going to finish it with
CanDo.

A GREAT program.

"Elvis Told Me Kennedy Assassination Was Faked," Little Old Lady Claims.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

In article <13271@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> raf@PRC.Unisys.COM (Ralph A. Foy) writes:
>It's about time to by my machine a present, and after hearing about
>some of the wonderful things Mac users do with hypercard,  I was considering
>getting either UltraCard or CanDo. Mary from Safe Harbor said that her
>husband and son prefer CanDo, but frankly I never heard of it.

	From my experience it is easy to make professional looking
applications with CanDo. CanDo is much easier to use and is very
flexible. Although UltraCard may have a lot of potential I think that
it is very difficult to get good results from it. Even Mike Lehman's
own programs which were I'm sure worked on quite a bit didn't visually
look good, IMHO. Try both. That's the best idea.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

In <133435@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>Ok, so I've been playing with CanDo all weekend. It is pretty neat and
>I have only crashed it once (but I can't figure out how, and it hasn't
>repeated). I'm working on a full review, but if you choices are UC or CanDo
>then the choice is clear.

I managed to crash it once since posting my recommendadtion of it. It was while
editing buttons. I had 32 buttons, each a duplicate of the first, and was going
through them all to modify the scripts, since each button needed different
coordinates for a FloodFill. I noticed things getting very slow, followed by a
GURU. Later, I was doing the same thing, and avoided problems by saving when I
noticed the slowdown, exiting CanDo, and reloading the deck. Perhaps it's a
little careless with its garbage collection.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/26/90)

Ok, so I've been playing with CanDo all weekend. It is pretty neat and
I have only crashed it once (but I can't figure out how, and it hasn't
repeated). I'm working on a full review, but if you choices are UC or CanDo
then the choice is clear.

CanDo is the one for you.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (03/28/90)

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that CanDo is STABLE...

I've loaded up both, and have crashed HyperCard on more than one occasion...I
never could get CanDo to guru...it's a well designed OOP (Object Oriented
Programming) environment.

Sean

anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Franklin Anthes) (03/29/90)

I suppose CanDo is a nice product, since just about everybody on the
net is saying so! Sadly enough I cannot join in to the chorus of praise,
since my copy of CanDo refuses to work on my machine (PAL A500).

Some idiot decided they should make 2 versions 1 NTSC, 1 PAL. The guys at
Inovatronics mumbled something about controlling the distribution of the
product. They said they'd swap out my NTCS version for  a PAL version as
quickly as possible, but I'm still waiting.

Anyway europeans beware, make sure you get the PAL version. Especially
if you buy mail order from the states, like I did.
--

	Frank Anthes-Harper :  Bien le bonjour de la France
	anthes@geocub.greco-prog.fr