[comp.sys.amiga] dnet putfiles

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (03/28/90)

I'm curious to know if any other dnet users out there have had trouble
with the getfiles and putfiles servers under dnet. Here's what I'm getting

I connect to our Sequen under the dnet window and run dnet (at 7 bits-I've
had some problems running at 8 using the -m0 option)

I can then start up two or three fterm windows-each gets its own happy kshell.

When I type (on an fterm window) putfiles -dram: README
or          (at a cli prompt)    getfiles -dram: /dnet/unix/README

I get a 'Unable to connect' type prompt. In my only attempt to figure out what
the problem was, I changed the server numbers in both boot:s/dnet.servers and
$DNETDIR/dnet.servers to something else. ( I changed scopy and sgcopy to
18000-something - the same on both ends)

I still get the same error.
Any ideas?
--
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
<  FRANK BRANHAM                      | "I exist; therefore I am."             >

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (03/28/90)

In article <7487@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>I'm curious to know if any other dnet users out there have had trouble
>with the getfiles and putfiles servers under dnet. Here's what I'm getting

>When I type (on an fterm window) putfiles -dram: README
>or          (at a cli prompt)    getfiles -dram: /dnet/unix/README
>I get a 'Unable to connect' type prompt.

>Any ideas?

  Some discussion was posted on this a little while ago - first, make
   sure your unix environment variable DNETHOST is set to either ' '
   or '3', depending on whether the socket in your DNETDIR is named
   DNET. or DNET.3.  If it's not, you can't use the copy servers.

  Also, make sure your default privileges are properly set by
   using the -X option when you run on the Amiga end.  Otherwise you
   have to login through the passwd server to get sufficient privilege
   to read/write files.

  Good luck!

=====   Bill Gribble           Internet: bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu =====
=====   Harvey Mudd College              wgribble@hmcvax.claremont.edu  =====
=====   Claremont, CA 91711    Bitnet:   wgribble@hmcvax.bitnet         =====
=====   (714) 621-8000 x2045                                            =====

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (03/28/90)

In article <7487@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
=-I'm curious to know if any other dnet users out there have had trouble
=-with the getfiles and putfiles servers under dnet. Here's what I'm getting
=-
=-I connect to our Sequen under the dnet window and run dnet (at 7 bits-I've
=-had some problems running at 8 using the -m0 option)
=-
	Is there an rlogin process anywhere in your data path?  If so, make
sure that it doesn't have the -e switch set.  It took me the longest time to
figure out that rlogin -e was blowing away put/getfiles (specifically Dynix 3.0
rlogin); I still don't know why.  For an 8-bit path, make sure any rlogins are
running with the -8 switch on.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (03/28/90)

While talking about DNET.  I'm so happy with it when connecting to at
Sun-4 at 2400bps, I'm finally going to try to connect it to a
DECstation 3100 at 9600bps on a DECserver (running LAT).

Question #1:  On the DEC 3100, the snfs.c file will not compile.
Around line 138-145 there are a number of syntax errors and around
line 506 there is even more trouble.  This is version 2.02L.  Does
anyone have a fixed version?

Question #2:  Does anyone know if I will have problems running this
over a DECserver?  There aren't any "8-bit pass-thru" modes at the
server prompt.  Usually the computer can control that from it's end.
Has anyone else successfully run DNet on a DECserver?

Thanks!
-Tom
--
tlimonce@drew.edu      Tom Limoncelli       As seen in USA Today &
tlimonce@drew.uucp     +1 201 408 5389         Rec.Humor.Funny!

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (03/29/90)

In article <Mar.28.01.41.38.1990.19369@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> While talking about DNET.  I'm so happy with it when connecting to at
> Sun-4 at 2400bps, I'm finally going to try to connect it to a
> DECstation 3100 at 9600bps on a DECserver (running LAT).

DNet is *AWESOME* at decent speeds (I ran it at 19.2k at ODU for a while).

> Question #1:  On the DEC 3100, the snfs.c file will not compile.
> Around line 138-145 there are a number of syntax errors and around
> line 506 there is even more trouble.  This is version 2.02L.  Does
> anyone have a fixed version?

[ Persons with a long term memory will notice I'm quoting from my
  article ``Using Dnet's NFS'' posted 8 Mar 90... ]

Note that, at least in 2.02L, the nfs server on the (UNIX host) is
seriously byte-order dependent.  Unless you add calls to swab() in all
the right places, it'll only work on machines that use network byte
order (such as the mc680x0), not on Intel or VAX processors.

[ I don't know which byteorder the DEC3100 uses... ]

It's also slow.  It was useful when I had my Amiga at ODU and running
DNet at 19.2kbps, but at 2400bps it isn't too awesome.  It is still
useful for unpackaging things (like huge warp files), though, and is a
really good idea...

WRT the compile-time errors, apply the following patch:
*** dnet/unix/server/snfs.c	Fri Jul  7 10:09:48 1989
--- dnet-2.02L/unix/server/snfs.c	Tue Nov  7 17:58:43 1989
***************
*** 135,145 ****
  	long h;
  	char buf[256];

! 	if (ggread(chan, &Base.cmd, 1)) != 1)
  	    break;
! 	if (ggread(chan, &Base.blen, 1)) != 1)
  	    break;
! 	if (ggread(chan, &Base.dlen, 4)) != 4);
  	    break;
  	/*
  	if (ggread(chan, &Base, sizeof(Base)) != sizeof(Base))
--- 135,145 ----
  	long h;
  	char buf[256];

! 	if (ggread(chan, &Base.cmd, 1) != 1)
  	    break;
! 	if (ggread(chan, &Base.blen, 1) != 1)
  	    break;
! 	if (ggread(chan, &Base.dlen, 4) != 4)
  	    break;
  	/*
  	if (ggread(chan, &Base, sizeof(Base)) != sizeof(Base))

> Question #2:  Does anyone know if I will have problems running this
> over a DECserver?  There aren't any "8-bit pass-thru" modes at the
> server prompt.  Usually the computer can control that from it's end.
> Has anyone else successfully run DNet on a DECserver?

Try the new DNet which works on 7-bit only connections and even does
something with partiy.  I admit, though, that I'm still using 2.02L... :-(

	...tad