[comp.sys.amiga] Format Error question

raf@PRC.Unisys.COM (Ralph A. Foy) (03/20/90)

The Situation:
	A couple of times now, i've gotten errors while formatting a
floppy.  since I get disks for 0.49 each, i don't mind tossing them,
since it wouldn't be worth the effort to return them for a free
replacement.

Now the question:
	is there a way to use disks with an error? M*-DOS is able to mark
bad sectors, and was wondering if AmigaDOS would do the same.

Further complication:
	I had to reformat my hard drive, and a bad cylinder was found... I
got around it by just doing a "quick" format, but the idea of a bad
sector sitting out there has me a little worried... Again, any way to
handle this without re-prepping the drive?

Now, a testimonial:
  I encountered a hard disk problem this past weekend, compounded by
my ignorance of the Amiga file systemm I panicked.  After poring
through every manual and book i had, calling upon all my exprerience
with computers, and invoking all deities, saints, and demons in the
cosmos, i was able to restore just about everything, and now have the
drive nicely partitioned and organized (I had inherited the system, so
kept the original owner's setup).

  Once everything was up and running I compared the experience with
those I had with my old and dusty PC and realized how much better the
Amiga recovery was. If I had controlled my hysteria a little better,
it could have been a very straightforward and simple task.

  Another thing I realized is how much the shareware and other
utilities really make the Amiga environment!  For a while I had to
boot using the plain vanilla dos disk, and cringed in horror at how
slow the mouse was!

   So, folks--spread the word! Sure the Amiga ain't perfect, but it
IS a real alternative to M*-DOS and M*CINT*SH systems (btw, they're
not perfect either).

Ralph

hart@ug.cs.dal.ca (Todd Darrell Raymond Hart) (03/20/90)

>	A couple of times now, i've gotten errors while formatting a
> floppy.  since I get disks for 0.49 each, i don't mind tossing them,
> since it wouldn't be worth the effort to return them for a free
> replacement.
>
> Now the question:
>	is there a way to use disks with an error? M*-DOS is able to mark
> bad sectors, and was wondering if AmigaDOS would do the same.
>
> [REST DELETED...]
>
> Ralph

Well Ralph AmigaDOS does things in a slightly different way...when data is
written to the disk, the individual sector is *NOT* overwritten like in MS-DOS.
Instead AmigaDOS does things on a track by track basis.  The disk head moves
to the track the sector is in and writes out the entire track at once, it does
not bother to check to see what use to be there.  All sectors are written
back to the disk at the same time.  Therefore after each write to the disk
all data is together in one chunk with a single gap, and not necessarily at
the same place on the disk.  So one write may be fine and the next shows an
error.  An article in Amiga Transactor (Vol3, Iss1) gives an excellent
description of the encoding schemes used by disk drives and how they work.
To quote them:

	When you write to an Amiga floppy, the drive heads are given
	a track number to which they can write.  They then move
	immediately to the assigned track and begin writing.  They do not
	wait for a sync mark, nor do they look for a particular sector,
	and they are not likely to write on the same part of the track
	that was used before.

So that makes it kinda hard to mark a sector as bad as they are only a
logical representation of the data on the disk, not physical (one like
in MS-DOS).  As for your question of the Hard Disk, I don't know as I don't
have one yet (only a 500 with a single drive, but hopefully not for long
though) so I haven't bothered to really look into their inards other than
performance.
							-Todd
      __
     ///---------------------------------------------------------------------
__  ///  The AMIGA, not just another pretty face...                         |
\\\///                                  Todd D R Hart -- hart@ug.cs.dal.cs  |
 \XX/------------------------------------------------------------------------

birjt@cc.nu.oz (03/29/90)

In article <13211@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, raf@PRC.Unisys.COM (Ralph A. Foy)
 writes:
> The Situation:
> 	A couple of times now, i've gotten errors while formatting a
> floppy.  since I get disks for 0.49 each, i don't mind tossing them,
> since it wouldn't be worth the effort to return them for a free
> replacement.
>
> Now the question:
> 	is there a way to use disks with an error? M*-DOS is able to mark
> bad sectors, and was wondering if AmigaDOS would do the same.

Hello,
      I have a utility that I have called BFormat, this is short for
Bad Disk Formater, obvious eh, but I can't remember where it came from.
     When it it used it formats as normal but when it comes to a bad part
of the disk it maps out that particular track as being used ie in the
disks bitmap. This way when you later use the disk the DOS thinks that
the suspect part of the disk is already used so it doesn't try to write
to it, therefore no read/write error.
    I use it to format all my disks and have never had a problem. One
last thing, when it is formating it counts all the tracks ie top
 and bottom so it appears to format up to 158 cylinders.

                                  Hope this helps,
                                          Russell