[comp.sys.amiga] One more try...

sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman) (03/20/90)

This is the last time I'm gonna post this.  I'm only posting because I fear
my integrity is at stake.  I don't understand why so many people on this net
are so McCarthy-like.  Just because a person asks a question, they are pirates.
I don't advocate piracy, and pirates deserve all wrath of the law enforcement
agencies they receive.  I asked a (seemingly) valid question.  I misunderstood
the A.W. article I read.  I thought I only needed the A-max roms if
using the mac drive.  I found out that this is not true.  I have since erased
the diskand plan to borrow the entire package.  For those of you who don't
believe me (and I know some don't...) I don't really care.  I don't want to
start a flame war.  God knows there are enough of them here already.
All I am saying is give a person some breathing room.  Just because a guy
doesn't know what ECM stands for in FA/18 doesn't mean he is a pirate.  Maybe
he is, either way, keep it to yourself.  A pirate takes risks.  Let him.  There
is no reason for you to be his conscience.
I'm sorry to have to post this, but I was really getting sick of all the
talk about lynching pirates.

P.S. This is just for the jerk who flamed me through e-mail:  1)  Thanks for
responding e-mail.  Doesn't clutter up the net.  2)  I apologized publicly, but
that wasn't good enough for you.  I was p*ssed and acted on an e  The
apology still stands - I would have e-m'ed you, but I lost your address.

Look, I'm too old for flames, (I'm 20 ya know!)  but if you feel the need,
refer to the addresses below.

     *                     |      ////  "If it's not an  *
     *	Andy Hartman       |     ////    Amiga... to     *
     *  Indiana University | \\\X///     hell with it!"  *
     *                     |  \XXX/ 			 *
     *---------------------------------------------------*
     * AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu			 *
     * sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu			 *

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/21/90)

In article <39009@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> (Andy Hartman) writes:
> Just because a guy doesn't know what ECM stands for in FA/18 doesn't
> mean he is a pirate.  Maybe he is, either way, keep it to yourself.
> A pirate takes risks.  Let him.  There is no reason for you to be his
> conscience.

An important point Andy is that our current law enforcement system doesn't
go after pirating and thus it is ineffective in preventing it. However,
the non-pirates are hurt by the pirates by paying more for software and
sometimes have the company that supports their program go out of business.
Therefore the only way to curb piracy today is to flame them mercilessly
and publiclly. When a pirate reads how much shit someone caught for not
knowing what ECM meant is he or she going to risk asking a question themselves?
The answer is no, they won't. And that means that pirated programs are
marginally less valuable because their greatest information resource, Usenet,
won't cough up information that is in the manual that they didn't pay for.

This is a social response to the problem. And to the extent that people
want to be respected on Usenet (in this society) there is some social
pressure not to be pirates. Amiga users and Amiga users groups have to
to be loud and obnoxious whenever a pirate is discoverd to help discourage
them. This society can't send a pirate to jail, but they can make someone
an outcast. And often one of the motivations for piracy is the desire to
"belong" to something.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (03/21/90)

In article <133211@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes...
^
[...]
^These opinions are my own and no one elses, but you knew that didn't you.
^"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

Well Chuck...IF you intend to make piracy such a social stigma maybe you ought
to make sure the person you are turning into an outcast IS a pirate.  I've seen
things usually have viruses...are you a pirate or something?" Which implies
that anyone unlucky enough to catch a virus is a pirate and that there are no
hardware faults on the Amigas.  Neither statement is true.

Piracy is a CRIME.  If you insist on claiming that someone IS a pirate I
suggest that you have some sort of proof.  Also while you cannot send a pirate
to jail easily, if you can find out his source (a BBS for example) you can get
it shut down.  There is no need for a Spanish Inquisitions or obnoxiousness.

NT

        A| Nigel Tzeng      xrtnt@csdr.gsfc.nasa.gov
     // m| STX Inc.         xrtnt@csdr.span.nasa.gov
    //  i|
\\ //   g| Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.
 \X/    a|

pfaff@mercury.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (03/27/90)

Chuck McManis writes:
>Therefore the only way to curb piracy today is to flame them mercilessly
>and publiclly. When a pirate reads how much shit someone caught for not
>knowing what ECM meant is he or she going to risk asking a question themselves?
>The answer is no, they won't.

As an interested bystander, how would you feel if I called you a thief because
you asked a question that's in the AmigaDos manual?  That's certainly proof
that you must have stole your Amiga since the information should be availible
to you.
You make the assumtion that everyone completely reads the documenation;
they don't.  Most of the time it's obvious if somebody has a pirated copy
of something, but I just politely tell them that the answer to their question
is in their manual (giving a page reference, if I have the product).
I think that amiga-relay is a very useful mechanism for transfering infor-
mation about the Amiga and it shouldn't be used as a flamming mechanism
just due to the fact that you *suspect* piracy.
I really don't want to start a flame war on the network, I think that since
piracy is percieved to be a "minor" crime that people don't really understand
that they are slandering other people; in effect, calling them a thief.
If you really want to start an argument, please mail me direct.

Raymond Pfaff
pfaff@europa.asd.contel.com

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/29/90)

In article <15031@snow-white.udel.EDU> (Ray Pfaff) writes:
>If you really want to start an argument, please mail me direct.

You have new mail.