[comp.sys.amiga] DNet's nfs: and Amiga ka9q

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (03/29/90)

I know there have been several DNet nfs questions recently, but I'm not
  afraid to add another one:

I've mounted nfs: in my startup-sequence with the following mountlist entry:

  NFS:    Handler = L:nfs-handler
          Stacksize = 8000
          Priority = 5
          GlobVec = -1
  #

  This seems to be what I've been told to use, but when I try cd nfs: or
  dir nfs: on the amiga end it just hangs the cli I called from.  Any
  advice?

By the way, could someone who has it installed send me some info on the
  AmigaNOS ka9q implementation - just basic stuff on what it does and
  what is needed to get it installed.  If I understand correctly,
  it will let my Amiga be recognized as its own internet address.  Right?

=====   Bill Gribble           Internet: bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu =====
=====   Harvey Mudd College              wgribble@hmcvax.claremont.edu  =====
=====   Claremont, CA 91711    Bitnet:   wgribble@hmcvax.bitnet         =====
=====   (714) 621-8000 x2045                                            =====

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (03/29/90)

In article <5548@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
> I've mounted nfs: in my startup-sequence with the following mountlist entry:
>
>   NFS:    Handler = L:nfs-handler
>           Stacksize = 8000
>           Priority = 5
>           GlobVec = -1
>   #
>
> This seems to be what I've been told to use, but when I try cd nfs:
> or dir nfs: on the amiga end it just hangs the cli I called from.
> Any advice?

This worked for me using DNet 2.02L -- you don't say which version
you're running, and the MountList entry may be different in 2.14.

Recently posted elsewhere in this newsgroup:
| Note that, at least in 2.02L, the nfs server on the (UNIX host) is
| seriously byte-order dependent.  Unless you add calls to swab() in all
| the right places, it'll only work on machines that use network byte
| order (such as the mc680x0), not on Intel or VAX processors.
|
| It's also slow.  It was useful when I had my Amiga at ODU and running
| DNet at 19.2kbps, but at 2400bps it isn't too awesome.  It is still
| useful for unpackaging things (like huge warp files), though, and is a
| really good idea...

	...tad

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (03/29/90)

In article <5548@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
=-
=-I know there have been several DNet nfs questions recently, but I'm not
=-  afraid to add another one:
=-
=-I've mounted nfs: in my startup-sequence with the following mountlist entry:
=-
=-  NFS:    Handler = L:nfs-handler
=-          Stacksize = 8000
=-          Priority = 5
=-          GlobVec = -1
=-  #
=-
=-  This seems to be what I've been told to use, but when I try cd nfs: or
=-  dir nfs: on the amiga end it just hangs the cli I called from.  Any
=-  advice?
=-

	Try this:

NF0:       Handler = l:nfs-handler
           Stacksize = 6000
           Priority = 0
           GlobVec = 1
#

	This is the mountlist entry that is included in the latest version of
DNet on ucbvax.  More importantly, make sure you have the latest version of
nfs-handler, if you're using a recent version of DNet (i.e. 2.1x).  It appears
that something has changed in the code for snfs that breaks older versions of
nfs-handler.  I had the same symptoms you are seeing until I replaced both the
mountlist entry and nfs-handler simultaneously.

By the way, I'm always seeing comments like "This seems to be what I've been
told to use," or "There isn't any documentation for DNet client xxxx."  Don't
people get the entire distribution when they install DNet?  Where are these
partial distributions coming from?  Or is it that people just don't R TFM?

+++++++++++

On another note, has anyone been able to get through to Matt on overload?  I've
been getting bouncing mail for three months using the path
apple!spooge!overload!dillon, which is the only path our pathalias stuff knows
about.

In article <468@mohawk.cs.utexas.edu> bryan@cs.utexas.edu writes:

>On another note, has anyone been able to get through to Matt on overload?  I've
>been getting bouncing mail for three months using the path
>apple!spooge!overload!dillon, which is the only path our pathalias stuff knows
>about.

Try sending direct to dillon@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.  Matt's been very good
  about answering questions I've asked.

                                  Bill.

In article <5579@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
=-In article <468@mohawk.cs.utexas.edu> bryan@cs.utexas.edu writes:
=-
=->On another note, has anyone been able to get through to Matt on overload?  I've
=->been getting bouncing mail for three months using the path
=->apple!spooge!overload!dillon, which is the only path our pathalias stuff knows
=->about.
=-
=-Try sending direct to dillon@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.  Matt's been very good
=-  about answering questions I've asked.
=-

	No foolin.  That account went away months ago, which is why I'm trying
to reach overload in the first place.