[comp.sys.amiga] Unix

UN040152@WVNVMS.BITNET (Michael A. Packer [304] 292-8607) (02/19/88)

I have seen a lot going around on UNIX for the amiga, What i am wondering
is what is required to run Unix on a 1000?
If it is "runnable" on a 1000 with 512k could someone please send me
a copy of it with any avail. docs?
please send it if it is available, if i get to many i can always delete
them so please send if possible.

also, a couple of days ago i posted a message and again i will post
the same message:

I am looking for a utility like the SQUEEZE function on a PDP-11 running
RT-11.  which will make all available free space on a disk in one
large chunck if one is available please send it....if not there is a challenge
for someone, i can't do it,  "Just now learning C!"

michael packer
west virginia university siemens project
un040152@wvnvaxb.bitnet

-------- you should disclaim anything you like...I do...!--------------

hcm@hpclla.HP.COM (Harry Muttart) (02/23/88)

Regarding SQUEEZE:

This challenge requires no programming to solve if you have two drives.
Try typing "COPY Source: Dest: ALL" from the CLI where Dest: in a newly
formatted disk.

Possible Cons:

Of course, this approach might not exhibit adequate performance for you.
There also might be problems with date stamps on files being updated (not sure).

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (06/27/88)

[ "The best government, is no government at all." ]

Here's a question for anyone who was at COMDEX last month, or better yet,
for anyone at CBM who can comment on the subject.

There's been considerable discussion about the feasibility of running the
announced version of UNIX(R) under AmigaDOS (or vice versa).  I believe
most "answers" to the question have been "No".

Well, along comes the July issue of "The Amiga Sentry" magazine that says
on page 7 (quoted without permission):

"There were simultaneous demonstrations of the new UNIX system, along with
 Ms-Dos and Amiga-Dos.  Dr. Henry Rubin, who proctored this segment of the
 conference, assured the members of the press that these three seperate
 systems were running concurrently on a single Amiga"

Now, I certainly don't believe everything I read, but I am (very) interested
in such a possibility.  So I ask ... what *did* Dr. Rubin say WRT this demo?
Did anyone attend this session?  Etc?

Just wishfully thinking ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

rodney@pyr.gatech.EDU (Rodney Ricks) (06/27/88)

In article <90I/e952PU1010fpfss@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>Well, along comes the July issue of "The Amiga Sentry" magazine that says
>on page 7 (quoted without permission):
>
>"There were simultaneous demonstrations of the new UNIX system, along with
> Ms-Dos and Amiga-Dos.  Dr. Henry Rubin, who proctored this segment of the
> conference, assured the members of the press that these three seperate
> systems were running concurrently on a single Amiga"

The latest issue of INFO magazine says the same thing.  Actually, it said that
they had a 2000 running UNIX, AmigaDOS, and the 80286 bridgeboard running MSDOS
all at the same time.

>Now, I certainly don't believe everything I read, but I am (very) interested
>in such a possibility.  So I ask ... what *did* Dr. Rubin say WRT this demo?
>Did anyone attend this session?  Etc?

I was in town at the time, but could not make it to Comdex.  Some friends of
mine who went told me that there was nothing new shown for the Amiga there.
After reading some of the magazine reports, I'm wondering if I shouldn't get
some new friends! :-)

>Just wishfully thinking ...

Well, how about this.  The issue of INFO also said that they showed a working
prototype 68030 board for the 2000!  No joking!  (They also mentioned the
April Fool's joke in another section).  Also, near the beginning of the
magazine, they showed a picture of Commodore's transputer board.  No jumpers
were visible on the board.

By the way, I'm not sure but I think they showed UNIX running on the 68030
when the had the three operating systems running.

>/kim

Rodney Ricks

UUCP: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!rodney
 or :                                                   !gatech!gt-oscar!rodney
Mail: 4265 Hidden Valley Dr.
      College Park, Ga. 30349

addison@pollux.usc.edu (Richard Addison) (03/29/90)

From the April 1990 BYTE Nanobytes column (page 19) [quoted sans permission]:

"Meanwhile, AT&T's _Unix System V release 4.0_ ... was all over the UniForum
show floor.  But when will the operating system be commercially released?
Good question.  A senior staffer for the Unix Software Operation said that
Intel is in the best position to bring it to market first.  Intel says
July is most likely...."

I've heard various rumors about when the Amiga's Unix will be available.
From what I understand, it is based upon Vr4.  Commodore might have a
chance here to scoop Intel.  Is this why, as I've read in comp.sys.amiga,
AT&T readily seeks Commodore's presence at Unix shows?

Just wanting to inject some signal,

--Rich