[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore 2 Meg Board

cfarmer@convex.com (Claude Farmer) (03/29/90)

lord@leadsv.UUCP (Parker Lord) writes:

[ stuff deleted ]

>    I had found, like a lot of people who made the 1000 to 2000 upgrade, that
>there was no way for me to use the memory I had in my StarboadII.  They
>weren't making the adapters any more and no one seemed to make a card to hold
>256K x 1 DRAMs.

Well, I just upgraded to a 2000HD and found the same problem.  However, I did
learn that Microbotics is offering a trade in on the StarBoard II.  You ship
them your StarBoard and receive a credit of $210 towards a 8-UP board.  You
also get an additional $8 for every 512k you have populated.  So, if you
trade in a full 2MB board, a new 2MB 8-UP will cost you $257.  Not a bad deal.

Another option is to upgrade to a 2000HD which uses the 2091 controller.  It
has sockets for 2MB of memory.  So then you could sell your StarBoard II for
about $250 (fully populated) and just by the 16 chips you need to fill the
2091.  These are running $12-$14 a chip retail.  So you are looking at about
$190 to get the memory.  Sorry, I don't remember the chip type but I think
they are 1-megabit SIMMs.

You can reach Microbotics at (214) 437-5330.  Anyone want to buy a 2MB
StarBoard II $250+shipping?

Have fun...
--
----
Claude Farmer              Convex Computer Corporation    Richardson, Texas

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (03/29/90)

In article <100945@convex.convex.com> cfarmer@convex.com (Claude Farmer) writes:
| [ stuff deleted ]
|
|Another option is to upgrade to a 2000HD which uses the 2091 controller.  It
|has sockets for 2MB of memory.  So then you could sell your StarBoard II for
|about $250 (fully populated) and just by the 16 chips you need to fill the
|2091.  These are running $12-$14 a chip retail.  So you are looking at about
|$190 to get the memory.  Sorry, I don't remember the chip type but I think
|they are 1-megabit SIMMs.

Actually, the chips are less than $9.  I bought 2M for $130.  They are
256Kx4 DIP's.  All in all it is a very nice setup.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM			GO JACKETS!!! ICS '86
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400