[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Rebirth?

BARRETT%FOREST.ECIL.IASTATE.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) (03/28/90)

   It is no doubt that the new MAC IIfx will severely damage what
little portion of the professional computer market the Amiga still
hangs onto.  The Amiga is even in severe danger of losing the
multimedia market -- the market that it should have a hold on, but
doesn't.  Thanks to the new Apple video cards -- which have 24-bit
color and the ability to output NTSC compatible video at the flick
of a dip switch -- most the companies that previously bought
Amigas as alternatives to high-end video workstations will now
buy Macs instead.

   What the Amiga needs now is a new beginning.  The Amiga needs
a chance to start over and correct the billions of mistakes that
Commodore has made in the past five years.  Commodore needs to
bring out a new Amiga system that is as powerful and innovative
now as the Amiga 1000 was back in 1985.  The Amiga 1000 was the
first system to offer thousands of colors, a double-sided 3 1/2"
drive, and stereo sound.  Commodore needs to produce a brand new
machine which would be a quantum leap above all of these areas :
millions of colors, a read/write optical disk, and 16-bit stereo
sound.

   Unfortunately, I see little chance of this happening.  The
Amiga 3000 will, most likely, be a bitter disappointment, and
offer few improvements to the actual chipset.  I really, really
hope Commodore proves me wrong, but I doubt they will.  Sigh.
I miss the good-old days when the Amiga blew away everything
to a $15,000 radius.  I guess I'll have to be happy with my
home computer.  It will always remain a home computer.

                               -MB-

P.S. Why doesn't Commodore purchase that small company that
markets the Amiga video transputer, and sell it as standard
hardware?  That would be just what the Amiga needs to propel it
back into prominence again.

In article <15187@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT%FOREST.ECIL.IASTATE.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>drive, and stereo sound.  Commodore needs to produce a brand new
>machine which would be a quantum leap above all of these areas :
>millions of colors, a read/write optical disk, and 16-bit stereo
>sound.

	Actually, this message isn't intended as a flame, not really.
In the usual head-in-the-sand/ignorance of reality trash Marc usually
espouses, there is one important point: a read/write optical disk. I
think it worth noting that at AmiExpo DC, Active Circuits (makers of
ImageLink which connects Amiga to Targa, etc.) displayed a Sony 650MB
(I believe, something in that large range) r/w opti. It was connected
using their hardware/software and lists for $5,000. Not cheap, I know.
I have no idea what it will realistically sell for. If I remember
correctly there was someone from Sony hanging around.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/28/90)

In article <15187@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT%FOREST.ECIL.IASTATE.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

      Unfortunately, I see little chance of this happening.  The
   Amiga 3000 will, most likely, be a bitter disappointment, and
   offer few improvements to the actual chipset.  I really, really
   hope Commodore proves me wrong, but I doubt they will.  Sigh.
   I miss the good-old days when the Amiga blew away everything
   to a $15,000 radius.  I guess I'll have to be happy with my
   home computer.  It will always remain a home computer.

				  -MB-

   P.S. Why doesn't Commodore purchase that small company that
   markets the Amiga video transputer, and sell it as standard
   hardware?  That would be just what the Amiga needs to propel it
   back into prominence again.

Amiga 3000!  That thing has been promised since 1987(or was it 86).
Didn't it use to be called the Amiga Ranger in Amiga magazines?  I
still can't believe that Commodore hasn't at least upgraded the
chipset in the Amiga.  I think it's pretty safe to assume the Amiga is
going to die an ugly death.  There are too many idiots running the
company!!

-Mike

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar28.063207.11897@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	Actually, this message isn't intended as a flame, not really.
>In the usual head-in-the-sand/ignorance of reality trash Marc usually
>espouses, there is one important point: a read/write optical disk. I
>think it worth noting that at AmiExpo DC, Active Circuits (makers of
>ImageLink which connects Amiga to Targa, etc.) displayed a Sony 650MB
>(I believe, something in that large range) r/w opti. It was connected
>using their hardware/software and lists for $5,000. Not cheap, I know.
>I have no idea what it will realistically sell for. If I remember
>correctly there was someone from Sony hanging around.

Isn't this about the same price as r/w opticals one the MS-DOS platforms?
A person I know, who develops custom things for people who don't know any
better, bought an optical for ~$6500.  I think it was a SONY unit, but I don't
recall anything else about it.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (03/29/90)

Personally all this commentary about 24 bit graphics doesnt really matter
to me, the toaster does all the graphics that I will ever possibly need and
I assume It will do much for many other people. Just when we are on the
edge of so much exciting stuff, it's dissappointing to here anotherr, woe is
Amiga flame. I sincerely hope that people dont take any of this seriously
or we could be hurnting this machine more than the "current "obvvbvscurity" matter
does....