[comp.sys.amiga] dnet nfs, What can I do with it?

murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (03/29/90)

After reading about dnet and nfs-handler, I am beginning to wonder what
I can do with it.  I have been using a PC at my office on a network with
a NeXT.  I haven't tried to get PC-NFS up and going, I find that the PC is
already too braindead when it comes to doing REALLY big memory intensive
calculations.  In addition the hard disk is too slow on the 386 box.  However,
the Amiga is another story.  I have the memory space to do some hefty
calculations before needing virtual memory or PC-kludges, I have the same
byte ordering which is useful for operating on binary data files.  Something
like NFS might allow me to access the files on the NeXT easily?  This may be
a stupid question, but could Amiga executables be stored on the NeXT and then
loaded/copied as necessary?  Of course they aren't compatible with MACH.

Tad Guy, you have talked about dnet and nfs, can you e-mail me some specifics
about how you used it?

Thanks,
--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (03/29/90)

In article <3384@newton.physics.purdue.edu> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:
> After reading about dnet and nfs-handler, I am beginning to wonder
> what I can do with it. ... could Amiga executables be stored on the
> NeXT and then loaded/copied as necessary?

I did just this when I had my Amiga connected with a 19.2k link to my Sun.
Using this made it very easy to try out demos and such, esp. when I
normally wouldn't have the disk space to store the demo...

	...tad

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (03/29/90)

>In article <3384@newton.physics.purdue.edu> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:
> After reading about dnet and nfs-handler, I am beginning to wonder
> what I can do with it. ... could Amiga executables be stored on the
> NeXT and then loaded/copied as necessary?

Executables can be run over dnet-nfs, but please remember that this is
a low-speed serial connection. PC-NFS is ethernet (or is on all the
machines around here), even with it's frustrations & limitations, it is
tremendously faster.

It's main convenience is for copying files, moving around in unix
directories mounted on the Amiga and as an Amiga printer server.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"