[comp.sys.amiga] C

cheeser@dasys1.UUCP (Les Kay) (11/08/87)

Well, I finally took the plunge and bought more external brain cells for my
Amiga 1000.  I've owned this amiga fro 2.5 years and durring most of that time
it has sat in one closet or another for lack of Vendor interest (I.E.  No
software/hardware availability).  Then I was in a software store and saw a
lot of titles were availble.  Also some nice looking hardware.  So...

First thing I bought was an Alegra ram expansion.  then I upgraded that to
2m from the 512k it had.  Nice.  Very nice.  Suddenly, multi-tasking made
sence.  I'm afraid I have to lump the 512k amiga in the same catagory as the
128k Mac -- absurd.

Now, I own a Mac SE and have ordered a Mac II.  Both these machines are
equiped with hard disks.  My old Apple //e had a hard disk.  Even my old,
old, old Otrona Atache had a hard disk.  So I finally broke down and got one
for the Amiga.  Well, sort of.  I bought a hard disk controller from an
outfit called CLtd.  Tis a SCSI controller, that, I'd seen advertised as
being compatible with Mac disk drives.  As an Apple Certified Developer, I
can by Apple (Mac) Compatible drives for FAR less than retial, and FAR, FAR
less than Amiga drives.  So I took the plunge.

First a warning.  Adds and reviews not-withstanding, you do not really get
a pass-through bus on the CLtd. SCSI controller.  What you get is a thing
that lets you attach a pass-through buss connector!  this connector is an
extra purchase item.  Now, it is true, they only want $19.95 for it, but
I have been waiting for nearly two weeks for one and as I said, a 512k
Amiga is absurd!

So, what about the claimed compatibility?  Well, I am running my system right
now with an Apple 20SC hard disk drive attached and it formatted to a full
20M (that is what the info program shows -> 20M!  I love it!).  Wow, an
Amiga without agonizingly slow disk access is actually an increadible machine!

Then I ordered a disk drive from a company called CMS that makes HDs for the
Apple // line and the Mac.  The standard format program supplied by CLtd.
would not touch it.  CLtd. also provides a format program called ROMAT which
is for Rodime drives.  Even though the CMS is a Seagate drive (and the
seagate option of the standard program would not touch it), the ROMAT
program formatted it right off.  I then created a mountlist entry for the
drive based on the one used for the Apple 20SC since it had been formatted
identically (the Apple in this case is a Rodime drive....) and invoked the
mount command.  then I tried to do the high level format (the first is a
low level format, the second uses the standard Amiga format program or
the quickformat program CLtd. gives you).  Both Amiga Format and CLtd.'s
quickformat went:  Barf.  Couldn't recognize the disk as an Amiga disk.

Now, ROMAT talked to it and had no problem, so there had to be a way to get the
system to talk to this media.  Called CLtd.  they had no clue, though they
did say that if all else fails, they could send me an Adaptec controller to
replace the one in the CMS for about $90.00 and then for sure it would
work hokey dokey.  Not beleiving in spending money untill all else fails, I
kept on plugging.  It turns out that the mountlist supplied to work with
CLtd.'s own 20 meg drive (uses differrent flag settings than the Apple drive
I originally used) worked fine with the CMS.

So, since then I've hooked up streamy tape and the new 10Meg Floppy drives
and a borrowed worm drive and the CLtd. controller would talk to and work with
them all.  And the controller only cost $180.00!  And I keep hearing from
the folk on the net how expensive and unreliable Amiga hardware is!

Balderdash!  At least Cltd. seems to be making good stuff!  I finally
decided to order another hard disk, and this time I ordered from CLtd.
I like the company.

cheeser  (not associated with Cltd. save as a satisfied customer.)

Jonathan Bing, Master (cheeser)			...ihnp4!hoptoad!dasys1!cheeser
"Pereant, iniquit, qui ante nos nostra dixerunt!"                          also
"Non illegitimus carborundum!"        crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-carolina!cheeser

A4422DAE@AWIUNI11.BITNET (Konrad Neuwirth) (07/11/88)

Hi folx,
   I know that this question is very likely to have been asked before,
but here i go again!

   W H A T   I S   T H E   B E S T   C   C O M P I T E R  T O  B U Y ?

Please answer to me directly

A4422DAE at AWIUNI11   ( B I T N E T !!!!!)

                               SIGNED, AS ALWAYS
                                     I^  /I  +----
                                     I ^/ I  +--
                                     I    I  +----
 "SORRY FOR LIVING, I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN"
                    KONRAD NEUWIRTH (A4422DAE AT AWIUNI11) (KONRAD ON RELAY)

jn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jerome Lamont Napson) (11/09/89)

Does anyone know of any decent PD C-compilers available. Also are there
any inexpensive(under $100) C-compilers available commercially.

				-Jerome Napson

P.S. - Has anybody heard anything about Omni-Play Basketball???
	It is good/bad?

cinglis@cs.strath.ac.uk (Craig B Inglis CS88) (01/08/90)

Ive just tried my hand at C using MIX C on a PC (Boo Hiss!!!!)

No its not mine, dont be silly.

Well anyway I like C & I want a C compiler!

Now could anybody recommend a PD C compiler I want one that is complete,
all code, linkers, standard libraries etc & preferably one that works.

Failing that does anybody want to discretely send me a copy of Lattice C V5.04
or Manx C (wot ever the latest version is). Please dont flame me about piracy
as I couldnt care less.

Craig Inglis.

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (01/09/90)

In article <1435@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> cinglis@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
>Failing that does anybody want to discretely send me a copy of Lattice C V5.04
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^  ?? real bright, dips**t
>or Manx C (wot ever the latest version is). Please dont flame me about piracy
>as I couldnt care less.
>Craig Inglis.

I suspect (hope) you'll get flamed whether you want it or not.
Also, this very message
may be illegal and subject you to crimial prosecution for conspiresy (sp?).
(I'm not a lawyer, so I may be wrong, of course.)  I certainly do hope that
Lattice and/or Manx can get a search warrant to check you house/business
now that you've publicly admitted that you would steal from them given the
opportunity.  I also hope that anybody who does NOT believe in piracy
will keep a copy of this and look for Lattice-specific object code
(like copyrights in the linked library code) in any code you may produce
and will bring it to the attention of Lattice.  You are a fool for even
having posted this because the hardest thing in copyright infringement
cases of this type is having probable-enough cause to sue in the
first place.  Of course, what I'm REALLY hoping is that somebody
will be stupid enough to get caught UUENCODEing a compiler and mailing it to this
idiot through public sites.  I would suggest that somebody who knows
how inform the postmaster or sysop or whatever at this dope's
school and have his mail watched.  (I'm no fan of big-brother,
but publicly planning using the school's equipment to commit crimes
seems like good cause to me.)  Not only that, but he was stupid
enough to not even put his home address in the first post
so that further communication could be done without going
through his school.  On the other hand, maybe that was
a good idea... at least physically dangerous things can't
be mailed electronically. (I don't condone mailing them
physically, either, but I know some who do.)

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A FOLLOW-UP.  DO NOT FLAME NEW@UDEL.EDU ABOUT
PIRACY! (I would think this is obvious, but it has happened before)

		-- Darren

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (01/09/90)

In article <1435@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk>, cinglis@cs.strath.ac.uk (Craig B Inglis CS88) writes:

> Now could anybody recommend a PD C compiler I want one that is complete,
> all code, linkers, standard libraries etc & preferably one that works.
>
> Failing that does anybody want to discretely send me a copy of Lattice C V5.04
> or Manx C (wot ever the latest version is). Please dont flame me about piracy
> as I couldnt care less.
>
> Craig Inglis.

YES, you are right that it is silly, stupid, offensive, and
lots of other despicable things to publicly beg for stolen
goods in front of the people who produce them.

BUT, let's not start another flame war and waste a lot of time
and space carrying coals to Newcastle and back.

IF you want to flame him then send him email.

(Some of us have to work our way through the message base
at 1200 baud unlike a certain techie @ portal.com :-)

Ken

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax[.bitnet]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

scott@wilbur.uucp (Scott Beckstead) (01/11/90)

  The sozobon C compiler is the best public domain Compiler for the
Amiga that I have found.  However it does have two bugs that I have
been able to identufy.  First one is that it generates incorrect
instructions for bit fields.  The second is that it does an illegal
instruction when using a register as a pointer.  Ie. a pointer to char
declared as register in the storage class.  If any body has a fix for these
please leave me some mail and i'll try to get ahold of the source to fix it.
the complete compiler is available (no source) from Codename Lorraine BBS
in ventura California (805)-648-7833.
Scott

conca@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (michael vincen conca) (01/11/90)

In article <1990Jan10.212707.14582@wilbur.uucp> scott@wilbur.UUCP (Scott Beckstead) writes:

>  The sozobon C compiler is the best public domain Compiler for the
>Amiga that I have found.

Is there an anonymous FTP site for this?  I don't like to call long dis-
tance if I don't have to.

Also, what makes you say it is the best?  What features, etc. does it have?
Why is it better than PDC (which I am in the process of getting now)?

-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-
Mike Conca, Computer Science Dept.   *  conca@handel.cs.colostate.edu
Colorado State University            *  conca@129.82.102.32
                 'Back off man - I understand computers!'

cinglis@cs.strath.ac.uk (Craig B Inglis CS88) (01/11/90)

First of all let me say thank you to all who replied to my last article,
except the person who said "You are a pratt!" he can go and jump!

Well I suppose people are actually wondering what I received.
Well here goes, I received about 16 replies. Most of them were of course
flames "You are a criminal... Hope the police catch you... blah blah...",
some were a little more contructive "Have you considered the fact that
LC would be useless without the manuals ... blah... you are very silly...",
but beleive it or not I did receive one or two "Hey, Ive got LC5.02, of
course you can have a copy... but what have you got to swap...".

Mabye I should clear up a few points, now. Firstly if I wanted a copy of LC
I could get it (with manuals) for about #15 at the a local market in Glasgow,
this is no secret. Now this may sound like a 'please dont flame me anymore,
before I get into trouble' article, but it isnt, if you have something to
say, especially if it isnt the usual "I appauled...  you should be ashamed...",
then post me it.

Some people have said that they will look out for Lattice C object code that
has been produced by me etc... but of course this is silly, as the last article
stated if I had a pirate copy of LC & used it for what I wanted (simple
coursework) the object code would be seen by noone other than me & the source
would be standard C.  This of course is the reason (apart from the moral,
legal side) that a PD C would not only be as useful to me as any commercial
C but also I would be able to give people copies of any interesting software
I produced.

"Why then ask explicitely for one then?" was the question asked by my Systems
Manager. A good question. But the truth be told & this is the truth. I was
going to make the "send me LC" a joke and put lots of 8') in around it to
make it obvious, but I thought to myself, "Are there actually people out
there that would send me C?". This was a good choice as you cannot poll
the net saying "Please mail me if you are daft enough to risk a #2000 fine
for no financial gain yourself", I would have received nothing, apart from
mabye one of two "You are a pratts...".

C was a good choice as, had I asked for a game, I would have most certainly
had further action taken against me.

Anyway thanks to everyone (nearly), especially the people who sent me all
that information on PDC & Zc. I wont mention your names as some net loonies
might flame you for mailing me.

Craig Inglis.

"Yo ho ho & a bottle of rum!" "batton the hatches" "hoist the mainsail"

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (01/13/90)

In article <7698@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>In article <1435@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> cinglis@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
>>Failing that does anybody want to discretely send me a copy of Lattice C V5.04
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^  ?? real bright, dips**t
>>or Manx C (wot ever the latest version is). Please dont flame me about piracy
>>as I couldnt care less.
>>Craig Inglis.
>
>I suspect (hope) you'll get flamed whether you want it or not.
>Also, this very message
>may be illegal and subject you to crimial prosecution for conspiresy (sp?).
>(I'm not a lawyer, so I may be wrong, of course.)  I certainly do hope that
>Lattice and/or Manx can get a search warrant to check you house/business

     1. If anybody WAS going to send it to him. You may have stopped them.
     Sending it is MUCH more easily prosecuteable than soliciting. Inglis
     could always say he never DREAMED anyone would take him seriously.
     But, if he had this compiler in his posession...
     Do you suppose that you might have thwarted a sting on this guy?

     2. If his home or property were searched, and it was not done in proper
     accordance with the law, YOU might be prosecuted for complicity.

     3. Lastly, since you called him a dips**t, and most everyone knows exactly
     what you meant, you may be liable for slander. You also called him a
     pirate. He never ACTUALLY said he did any pirating. He just said he didn't
     care. If intent were all that was important, you would be up for a murder
     rap.

     4. I've noticed that there are some people on this net who LIKE STARTING
     FLAME WARS. Did it occur to you that this fellow may just be bored? He
     may have been sitting thinking "Bored bored bored. What can I do? Oh,
     yeah! I can start another piracy discussion!!!..."

     And you had to take him up on it. Great going blabbermouth.

     "Sheesh" - Calvin and Hobbes, 1989

cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) (01/17/90)

In <1990Jan10.212707.14582@wilbur.uucp> scott@wilbur.uucp (Scott Beckstead)
writes:

>   The sozobon C compiler is the best public domain Compiler for the
> Amiga that I have found.  However it does have two bugs that I have
> been able to identufy.  First one is that it generates incorrect
> instructions for bit fields.	The second is that it does an illegal
> instruction when using a register as a pointer.  Ie. a pointer to char
> declared as register in the storage class.  If any body has a fix for these
> please leave me some mail and i'll try to get ahold of the source to fix it.
> the complete compiler is available (no source) from Codename Lorraine BBS
> in ventura California (805)-648-7833.
> Scott

The best, huh? How many have you tried? What is the basis of your evaluation?
Are you only evaluating C compilers? Try evaluating based on these:

    robustness (more is better)
    size of compilers and tools (small is good)
    size of linked object files (small is good)
    execution speed (fast is good)
    compilation speed (fast is good)
    RAM and disk utilization (less is better)
    completeness of libraries and include files
    documentation
    support

Oh, yes, if you hadn't figured it out - I am quite biased, since I wrote the
Draco compiler available on Fish Disk #201 (documentation on #77). It compiles
several times faster than Lattice C, is smaller, produces smaller object files
for many programs, etc. Look for a new version in a month or two. Oh, and none
of the released versions has had such a gross bug as you mention above. That
partly comes from the fact that I use the compiler for all of my Amiga
development, including the compiler and libraries, games, tools, etc.

Chris Gray    usenet: {uunet,alberta}!myrias!ami-cg!cg	  CIS: 74007,1165

tcrevier@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tom "Blackie" Crevier) (03/29/90)

Hello, I am interested in getting a good C compiler for the amiga.
I would like advice as to what I should get (I would like to spend
about $200)....  Important things to me:

1) I have a 1 meg A500 with 2 drives
2) I would like a compiler with a low compile time if possible (or at least
a reasonable compile time).

tcrevier@jarthur.claremont.edu

mitchell@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Mitchell - Product Assurance) (03/29/90)

In article <5545@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> tcrevier@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tom "Blackie" Crevier) writes:
>Hello, I am interested in getting a good C compiler for the amiga.
>I would like advice as to what I should get (I would like to spend
>about $200)....  Important things to me:
>
>1) I have a 1 meg A500 with 2 drives
>2) I would like a compiler with a low compile time if possible (or at least
>a reasonable compile time).

The Lattice C compiler is your best bet. I used to run it off of 2 floppies
for the longest. And it has a source-level debugger to boot. Compile times
are reasonable. And Lattice is ANSI compliant. There latest release, 5.05
is very slick, and 99 44/100 % bug free (the compiler, that is- their
source-level debugger, CPR, is very useable, but still habors a few minor
annoyances.) They've just dropped prices, so you'll have to check with
them (or a local dealer) what they are. Good Luck!

-Mitchell