[comp.sys.amiga] MSH: with Lattice C

U211344@HNYKUN11.BITNET (Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert) (03/30/90)

In article <469@mrcu> capindale@uk.co.gec-mrc writes:
>situation:
>I've got the MSH: source (we don't get the binaries here!) on an Amiga disk
>*** I don't have the Manx C compiler ***
>But I do have Lattice C v5
>
>Problem:
>Lattice C doesn't like the files, all sorts of undefined structs, etc.

I use a precompiled file with all Amiga specific include files, and
the #includes I wrote in the file are just some approximation of what
is actually needed. Patch #1 dated 11-Mar-90 (currently waiting on
your moderator's disk) fixes this.

There are some other problems though. I use inline assembly in some
C functions. This could partly be avoided by some Lattice specific
features, I think, and partly by splitting the assembly to a
separate file. But there is a real chance that there will be some
#asm left that cannot easily be converted.

And there are the prototypes, which I don't use. Adding them might
uncover some sloppy typing here and there.

While we're on the subject: I am working on patch #2 currently. It
eliminates the read/write error requester when you insert a normal
AmigaDOS disk (this seemed to annoy lots of people), and it attempts
not to access the drive at the same time as the regular file system.
More new features might still be added when appropriate. (File
conversion is not one of them; it does not belong in a file system, so
let's leave that to things like DEC and IBM 'operating systems'). But I
don't think I am going to release it some time soon, unless more people
consider donating a small amount of money. So far, exactly two people
(both from Europe) gave me the impression that they were going to. None
of the people whose problems (mostly caused by not reading the supplied
documentation) I politely replied to ever gave me such impression.

>Dean Capindale, Systems Applications Lab.| Tel: +44 245 73331 x 3232
>GEC-Marconi Research Centre              | Fax: +44 245 75244
>GEC-Marconi Ltd, Great Baddow            | uucp: ...!mcvax!ukc!gec-mrc!capindal
>Chelmsford,Essex. UK CM2 8HN             | Other: capindale@uk.co.gec-mrc

Freely_Distributable=Greetings(Not_For_Any_Commercial_Purpose)->
        Olaf.Seibert;

Astounding News! By Express Via Norfolk!   OS+2 is a trademark of
The Atlantic Crossed in Three Days!        Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert
[E.A. Poe, 1844]                           U211344@hnykun11.bitnet