[comp.sys.amiga] Is there a PC emulator for the Amiga?

kiwi@motto.UUCP (Kyle) (03/27/90)

Well, I have an amiga 500 with one meg of ram and Kickstart/WB 1.3 and
I was wondering if there are any PC emulators around for this
system. Can anybody help me out there? If there are any, how would I get
hold of one, and how PC compatible is it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kyle.
kiwi@motto.UUCP  	  |  "I'd rather have a full bottle in front
..uunet!mnetor!motto!kiwi |   of me than a full frontal lobotomy."

arao@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (aswath.k.rao) (03/28/90)

From article <97@motto.UUCP>, by kiwi@motto.UUCP (Kyle):
> I was wondering if there are any PC emulators around for this
> system. Can anybody help me out there? If there are any, how would I get
> hold of one, and how PC compatible is it?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Kyle.

Me too.

Aswath Rao
att!houtz!arao

matth@extro (Matthew Hannigan) (03/29/90)

From article <97@motto.UUCP>, by kiwi@motto.UUCP (Kyle):
> I was wondering if there are any PC emulators around for this
> system. Can anybody help me out there? If there are any, how would I get

There was a program called Transformer that emulated a PC.

> hold of one, and how PC compatible is it?

Its seems about 90% compatible for text only applications.
You can format 3.5" disks in MesSyDOS format, and refer to
them as drives a: , b: etc..
It doesn't run any graphics at all, I think.
I'm afraid to say I have forgotten the company that sold it.
I think it was UK based.

Matt.

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (03/29/90)

In article <9203@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> arao@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (aswath.k.rao) writes:
>From article <97@motto.UUCP>, by kiwi@motto.UUCP (Kyle):
>> I was wondering if there are any PC emulators around for this
>> system. [Amiga]

Just noticed that this was cross posted to "amiga" also and I'm sure it
will get LOTS of responses there.......
The thing you want is called a Bridge Card.  It is actually an 8088 and
seperate memory on the card and comes (I think) with an external 5-1/4
drive.  From what I have heard it is VERY compatible and relatively
inexpensive.  Ask any Amiga dealer.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

gdunlap@csuchico.edu (Gregory L. Dunlap) (03/30/90)

In article <1990Mar29.022837.1184@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> matth@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Matthew Hannigan) writes:
>From article <97@motto.UUCP>, by kiwi@motto.UUCP (Kyle):
>> I was wondering if there are any PC emulators around for this
>> system. Can anybody help me out there? If there are any, how would I get
>
>There was a program called Transformer that emulated a PC.
>
>> hold of one, and how PC compatible is it?
>
>Its seems about 90% compatible for text only applications.
>You can format 3.5" disks in MesSyDOS format, and refer to
>them as drives a: , b: etc..
>It doesn't run any graphics at all, I think.
>I'm afraid to say I have forgotten the company that sold it.
>I think it was UK based.
>
>Matt.

     I have a question for the net; what is the current status of the company
that made Transformer?  I heard somewhere that a newer version of it was made
that handled color and graphics, and ran much faster; it became "PC-Ditto" for
the Atari ST. Is this true?  Is the company still around?  What is the status
Transformer's copyright???
     I've used it somewhat; it runs Turbo Pascal well enough, which was it's
main use, and does have a high degree of compatibility with text-only
applications.  The main problem it has is that it's sloooooooooow. If you're
in the mood for a laugh, try running run of the many performance-testing
programs for the PC on it! Pretty dismal, although one program got kind of
confused and actually reported a clock speed of 14 Mhz!!! (Something to show
an IBM friend when you want to impress him with how fast Amy emulates a PC :-)
     I rather doubt you can buy this product anymore, but good luck anyway.
Hope this helps.

-Greg Dunlap
-CSUChico

<.sig file under construction>