[comp.sys.amiga] Whither Amiga?

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (03/27/90)

>   I have been pointing out, for some time, the fact that the Amiga is
> no longer a serious force in the computer industry.  So far, I have
> gotten precisely the the responses I expected.

Your messages are not a positive contribution to this newsgroup.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

BARRETT%FOREST.ECIL.IASTATE.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) (03/28/90)

  I have been pointing out, for some time, the fact that the Amiga is
no longer a serious force in the computer industry.  So far, I have
gotten precisely the the responses I expected.  The responses were to
the effect that the Amiga is still the best low-end computer money
can buy.

   But this is exacly my point.  Everything Commodore produces ends
up a home computer.  The Amiga will forever remain a home computer,
and Commodore will forever remain a home computer company.  Commodore
may be satisfied with this, but I am not.  There are no longer any
serious uses for the Amiga in the business, scientific, or
workstation markets.  Therefore, there is no business, scientific,
or workstation software for the Amiga.

   The Amiga's ability to display a puny 4096 colors is no longer
state-of-the-art.  Companies that previously used Amigas (with its
ability to display 4096 colors at once) will now use Macs (with
their ability to display any of 16 Million colors at once).

   Since 1985, Apple has improved the MAC by leaps and bounds,
but Commodore has hardly improved the Amiga at all.  None of the
current Amiga models is more than slightly different than the
original Amiga 1000.

   'But', you may say, 'Commodore does not have the R&D budget
that Apple has.'  True, but do you realize just how many times
bigger Commodore is compared to NeXT, Inc.?  And yet, NeXT has
managed to muster a R&D budget larger than Commodore's, and
produce more truly innovative products than Commodore.

   In order to aviod being relegated to the home computer market,
Commodore must find a way to produce a video card for the Amiga
with the ability to display millions of colors at once.  I have
already outlined [in previous messages] a way to do precisely
this: by modifying the Lowell board to turn the two overlay bit-
planes into control planes for a HAM mode.  If Commodore's
engineers cannot do this, then they should contact Jay Minor and
the original designers of the Lowell video card.  This would
allow the Amiga to compete directly with the MAC in the
scientific, multimedia, and workstation markets.

   Commodore needs to do this immediately.  I originally made
my ideas about this public a year ago.  As far as I know,
nothing has been done so far.  That is a whole year of wasted
time.  Time is growing ahort, and no more time can be wasted.

   BTW, I would like everyone here to know that I have pure
motived in stirring up trouble here.  I love the Amiga, and
I do not want it to become a simple home computer.

                              Marc Barrett

      AMIGA : Yesterday's Technology, FOREVER!!!!!

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/28/90)

In article <15134@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT%FOREST.ECIL.IASTATE.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>  I have been pointing out, for some time, the fact that the Amiga is
>no longer a serious force in the computer industry.  So far, I have
>gotten precisely the the responses I expected.  The responses were to
>the effect that the Amiga is still the best low-end computer money
>can buy.

Though it probably wasn't your intent, you've also been pointing out just
what a horse's posterior you are.  The Amiga is taken far more seriously
than you shall ever be.

>   But this is exacly my point.  Everything Commodore produces ends
>up a home computer.  The Amiga will forever remain a home computer,
>and Commodore will forever remain a home computer company.  Commodore
>may be satisfied with this, but I am not.

Whether your satisfied or not really isn't important to most of us.  As proof
that there is a benevolent God, I'll point out that your childish whining
and petty annoyances really aren't going to make one whit of difference
when it comes to Commodore's engineering or marketing of the Amiga.

>                                            There are no longer any
>serious uses for the Amiga in the business, scientific, or
>workstation markets.  Therefore, there is no business, scientific,
>or workstation software for the Amiga.

Good God.  Someone go tell the people seriously using the Amiga in their
work that they'd better get a real computer, and fast!!  (Maybe you could
suggest a Mac?)

>   The Amiga's ability to display a puny 4096 colors is no longer
>state-of-the-art.  Companies that previously used Amigas (with its
>ability to display 4096 colors at once) will now use Macs (with
>their ability to display any of 16 Million colors at once).

What insight you have into the purchasing plans of all the companies that
use Amigas.  Maybe Commodore should hire you into their marketing department,
since you know exactly what's going on in their customers' minds.

>   Since 1985, Apple has improved the MAC by leaps and bounds,
>but Commodore has hardly improved the Amiga at all.  None of the
>current Amiga models is more than slightly different than the
>original Amiga 1000.

I'll grant you that.  But the A3000 will change all that, I'm sure, and third
parties have taken up some of the slack.

>                                            If Commodore's
>engineers cannot do this, then they should contact Jay Minor and
>the original designers of the Lowell video card.  This would
>allow the Amiga to compete directly with the MAC in the
>scientific, multimedia, and workstation markets.

It's Miner, and he's stated that he's not interested in designing chips
any more.  Who needs Jay, though?  You obviously know SO much more than
Commodore's engineers, seems they could just stick you in a lab and let
YOU have at it.  (Personally, I'd advise a padlock on the OUTSIDE of the
lab door, as well.)

>   Commodore needs to do this immediately.  I originally made
>my ideas about this public a year ago.  As far as I know,
>nothing has been done so far.  That is a whole year of wasted
>time.  Time is growing ahort, and no more time can be wasted.

WHAT?  A whole YEAR and Commodore hasn't rushed out to implement your
plans?  I'd better get on the phone with Harry Copperman and INSIST that
he hire you straight away...

>   BTW, I would like everyone here to know that I have pure
>motived in stirring up trouble here.  I love the Amiga, and
>I do not want it to become a simple home computer.

It appears that simple is what you do best.

--
Chris Lang, University of Michigan, College of Engineering    +1 313 763 1832
      4622 Bursley, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109          chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/28/90)

In article <15134@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT%FOREST.ECIL.IASTATE.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>  I have been pointing out, for some time, the fact that the Amiga is
>no longer a serious force in the computer industry.  ...

Yes, and quite tediously and repetitively as well.

>   Since 1985, Apple has improved the MAC by leaps and bounds,
>but Commodore has hardly improved the Amiga at all.

Yes, and, to quote Chuck McManis, Apple will get multitasking just as soon
as Jean Louis Gasse invents it.  And, oh yes, there's no difference between
my original 1.0-based 512K A1000 and my A2000 with 68020, 7 MB RAM, 11 ms
105 MB SCSI, Sculpt, Texture, Aztec 5.0, 300-odd Fred Fish disks, etc, etc.

>And yet, NeXT has
>managed to muster a R&D budget larger than Commodore's, and
>produce more truly innovative products than Commodore.

They're losing money, bud.  $550, $550, $550, $550.  $10000.  $10000.  $10000.
See any difference?  How long 'til Next sells a million machines?  Wanna bet?

>   In order to aviod being relegated to the home computer market,
>Commodore must find a way to produce a video card for the Amiga
>with the ability to display millions of colors at once.

Mimetics frame buffer.  Palette of 16 million colors on a per-pixel basis.
$549.95.  NTSC standard output.  Accepts 24-bit output from Sculpt and Silver.

Video Toaster.  Granted, it's a running joke because of its vaporware status,
but, Jesus, if they ever ship, it's revolutionary.  24 bitplanes.  seven
channel production switcher with realtime dissolves and wipes and realtime
digital video effects.  Realtime video capture.  24-bit paint program.
Accepts 24-bit files from Sculpt and Silver.  Broadcast-quality NTSC.  When
it does come out, will you post continually to comp.sys.mac saying that Apple
has lost it, APple has lost it, aPpLe hAs LOst iT?

Living Color Frame Buffer.  16-million-color paint capability.

THAT'S THREE, D00D!

>I have
>already outlined [in previous messages] a way to do precisely
>this: by modifying the Lowell board to turn the two overlay bit-
>planes into control planes for a HAM mode.  If Commodore's
>engineers cannot do this, then they should contact Jay Minor and
>the original designers of the Lowell video card.

Yes, and thank you very much, thank you very much, thank you very much.
If their heads implode, I'll have them call you.

>      AMIGA : Yesterday's Technology, FOREVER!!!!!

Marc Barret Amiga flames:  yesterday, tomorrow, FOREVER!!!

Apology to c.s.a readers who find all this tedious:  I'm sorry, four flames
from this guy in two days -- I just couldn't help it.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"As long as there is a legion of superheros, all else
--			 can surely be made right." -- Sensor Girl

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (03/28/90)

> Yes, and, to quote Chuck McManis, Apple will get multitasking just as soon
> as Jean Louis Gasse invents it.

Gassee quit Apple a few weeks ago.

					--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (03/28/90)

In article <15134@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT%FOREST.ECIL.IASTATE.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
(...he outlines his vision for Commodore and th Amiga, while
   whining and complaining about Commodore and the Amiga...)

>   Commodore needs to do this immediately.  I originally made
>my ideas about this public a year ago.  As far as I know,
>nothing has been done so far.  That is a whole year of wasted
>time.  Time is growing ahort, and no more time can be wasted.

Woa, nobody realised the great Marc Barret had actually made
his ideas public!  Good grief!  Everyone at CBM, drop everything!
Marc has the plan!  Aren't you glad you have someone with insight
like Marc to guide you on your way!  Otherwise you folks at Commodore
couldn't beat your way out of a wet paper bag with a machete! ;^)

Marc, if you realised how pompous and arrogant you sound,
and if you had any sensibilities at all, you would hang your head
in shame.

The Amiga is not *your* computer, and Commodore is not going to
redesign it according to your specifications.  If you don't like
your machine put it up for sale.  There will be plenty of takers.
If it doesn't meet your expectations then you need something else.

>   BTW, I would like everyone here to know that I have pure
>motived in stirring up trouble here.  I love the Amiga, and
>I do not want it to become a simple home computer.
>

>                              Marc Barrett
>
>      AMIGA : Yesterday's Technology, FOREVER!!!!!

BTW, I think that instructions for how to add Marc to your kill file
should be added to the monthly posting for comp.sys.amiga.

--
--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

andrewt@watnow.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) (03/29/90)

In article <5470@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
   In article <15134@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT%FOREST.ECIL.IASTATE.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
   >  I have been pointing out, for some time, the fact that the Amiga is
   >no longer a serious force in the computer industry.  ...

   Yes, and quite tediously and repetitively as well.
   [ and on and on in annoying verbosity ]

Karl,
Why does every posting you submit contain a personal attack on somebody?

Grow a brain or get off the net, *sshole.

--

Andrew Thomas
andrewt@watnow.waterloo.edu	Systems Design Eng.	University of Waterloo

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/29/90)

In article <ANDREWT.90Mar28131936@watnow.waterloo.edu> andrewt@watnow.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) writes:
>Karl,
>Why does every posting you submit contain a personal attack on somebody?
>
>Grow a brain or get off the net, *sshole.

Does anybody else detect more than a little hypocrisy in this posting?
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl   "I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know." -- Emerson
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

gdunlap@csuchico.edu (Gregory L. Dunlap) (03/30/90)

     Let's see, who do you think would win the vote for "most hated Amigan"?
Could it be.... oh I don't know......   MARK BARRETT?!?!?!?!? :-)

-Greg Dunlap
-CSUChico

<.sig file under construction>