[comp.sys.amiga] clock driving me crazy

posch@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Stefan Posch ) (03/27/90)

I am posting the following article for a friend, who has no
access to news. Please answer via e-mail to him.

Stefan Posch

HELP!

My F***g clock is driving me crazy!
I'm the now tortured owner of an A2000, 40M Miniscribe HD with
alcomp autoboot controller , Kick1.3, Arp1.1 (or so).

Yesterday I had to discover that the system time doesn't work correct.

SYPMTOMS:
	After booting (and using SETCLOCK OPT LOAD) the time is
	correct (i.e. the buffered clock seems to be OK).
	But using DATE, CLOCK or anything I tried which gives the time,
	shows, the time runs 1min20secs, then jumps back the same time,
	and the same again and again and ...
	My system time is now nearly static after boot.
	First I thought of some other F***g virus, but I used a
	virgin WB-disk to boot and got the same results.

HEAVY PAIN:
	I'm using MAKE a lot, and I don't want to use SETCLOCK every
	2 minutes to make things go right.

Any comments or even better help would be appreciated!

(No matter what the reason is, I know I won't like it.
 But I HATE not to know what it is!)

	Thank you for reading
		Andreas (AHA)

Internet: hermann@faui55.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
UUCP:     {pyramid,unido}!fauern!faui55!hermann

In article <2592@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> posch@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Stefan Posch ) writes:

>SYPMTOMS:
>	After booting (and using SETCLOCK OPT LOAD) the time is
>	correct (i.e. the buffered clock seems to be OK).
>	But using DATE, CLOCK or anything I tried which gives the time,
>	shows, the time runs 1min20secs, then jumps back the same time,
>	and the same again and again and ...
>	My system time is now nearly static after boot.

I've actually had this problem on my home system.  Well, actually, my clock
was being set back every 70sec, but the same basic idea.  The way to find
the problem is to realize you have two clocks in an A2000.  One is the
realtime clock, which works like a computer-readable watch and sets your
system time every time you run the SetClock program with the "load" option.
The other is the runtime clock, which is based on a counter in one of the
8520 chips that counts pulses of the 50Hz or 60Hz line frequency.  If
the runtime behavior of the clock looks wrong, you more than likely have a
problem with the counter in the 8520.  I certainly did -- replacing that
8520 (U300 on the 2000) should solve the problem.
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

sdl@lyra.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (04/03/90)

In article <2592@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> posch@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Stefan Posch ) writes:

> SYPMTOMS:
> 	After booting (and using SETCLOCK OPT LOAD) the time is
> 	correct (i.e. the buffered clock seems to be OK).
> 	But using DATE, CLOCK or anything I tried which gives the time,
> 	shows, the time runs 1min20secs, then jumps back the same time,
> 	and the same again and again and ...

I had exactly the same problem with my Amiga 2000.  The dealer
("Memory Location") diagnosed the problem as a bad chip (SID? or
whichever chip controls the clock timing).  Since the chip was
replaced, I have had no further problems with the clock timing.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730
(617)271-7753

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")