[comp.sys.amiga] Converting Sculpt --> DigiView

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (03/18/90)

> Hi all.  I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a program that
> will, or knows how to, convert from Sculpt R,G,B files to (preferably)
> DigiView RGB format, or to 24-bit IFF format?  I have tried using
> ImageLink, but it allows you to specify only one filename for an input
> file, and when tracing from Sculpt 4D, I saved three seperate data files
> for each of the red, green, and blue data.  I rendered in 24bitplane
> mode, 720x480, 10x10 ratio...This was the first time I've attempted to
> do this, so I'm still a bit confused...
>
> Kamal Syed

Yes, a user on my system has written a Shareware program called RGBExchange
and it does what you are looking for.  It asks for the 3 Sculpt filenames
(red, green and blue files) and then it converts it to Digiview.  It also
supports Digiview 4.0 (DDHR) as well as resizing which Imagelink doesn't
support.  Besides supporting that, it also will convert to TARGA and a
multitude of other Image file types.

The file is available from Xanth's FTP libs or from my system which is listed
below.  I have a new update to the software that I want to submit to Tad but I
need someone to send me a working copy of UUENCODE and instructions on how to
use it before I can send it up.  The update fixes a bug in the Targa module
and also changes the Turbo module to support full overscan images.

I believe this program is your best bet because it's better than Imagelink for
the money.  Imagelink is $300 while RGBExchange is a $20 shareware fee.

-- Bob

PS: If you'd like more info on RGBExchange, you can write the author Troy
Barlow at "troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com".
_______________________ Pro-Graphics BBS  201/469-0049 ________________________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

eric@topaz.rutgers.edu (Eric Lavitsky) (03/20/90)

In article <1862@crash.cts.com> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) writes:

> > Hi all.  I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a program that
> > will, or knows how to, convert from Sculpt R,G,B files to (preferably)
> > DigiView RGB format, or to 24-bit IFF format?  I have tried using
> > ImageLink, but it allows you to specify only one filename for an input
> > file, and when tracing from Sculpt 4D, I saved three seperate data files
> > for each of the red, green, and blue data.  I rendered in 24bitplane
> > mode, 720x480, 10x10 ratio...This was the first time I've attempted to
> > do this, so I'm still a bit confused...
> >
> > Kamal Syed

Did you try calling us for support? ImageLink is a fully supported
product. If you send in your registration card, you will be able to
receive full telephone support. I would suggest, however, that you
carefully read the manual section on the sculpt file module before
calling.

> Yes, a user on my system has written a Shareware program called RGBExchange
> and it does what you are looking for.  It asks for the 3 Sculpt filenames
> (red, green and blue files) and then it converts it to Digiview.  It also
> supports Digiview 4.0 (DDHR) as well as resizing which Imagelink doesn't
> support.  Besides supporting that, it also will convert to TARGA and a
> multitude of other Image file types.

The new version of ImageLink (2.0) fully supports resizing and aspect
ratio conversion for abritrarily large images. It will be shipping on
April 15. The new version also includes modules for Compuserve GIF,
Caligari Broadcast, 8-bit IFF, 32-bit Macintosh PICT2 bitmaps, and
PC-Paintbrush format in addition to Sculpt, TARGA, DigiView 3.0 and
Turbo Silver RGBN and RGB8.

> I believe this program is your best bet because it's better than
>Imagelink for the money.  Imagelink is $300 while RGBExchange is a
>$20 shareware fee.

That's one users opinion. It really depends what it is you're trying
to accomplish. ImageLink has no image size limitations and also has
the capability to directly control a TARGA board for frame-by-frame
animation (you should have seen the tape we showed at AmiExpo) and
soon digital slide film recorders for 4,000 line film output.
ImageLink has full ARexx support. Many of our customers use it on
their ethernet networks as an image conversion server for all their
platforms. We also have a number of new formats coming out which will
be available at no charge to registered owners (TIFF, IFF-ARes, Sun
Rasterfile etc.). ImageLink is a fully supported commercial product.
If you need the features ImageLink supports (like conversion to Mac
formats), it can be found at certain dealers for closer to $200. All
of our customers think it's well worth it.

> -- Bob

-Eric
Active Circuits, Inc.
--
Eric Lavitsky				UUCP:	...rutgers!tstream!eric
Active Circuits, Inc.				eric@topaz.rutgers.edu

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (03/26/90)

> Hi all.  I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a program that
> will, or knows how to, convert from Sculpt R,G,B files to (preferably)
> DigiView RGB format, or to 24-bit IFF format?  I have tried using
> ImageLink, but it allows you to specify only one filename for an input
> file, and when tracing from Sculpt 4D, I saved three seperate data files
> for each of the red, green, and blue data.  I rendered in 24bitplane
> mode, 720x480, 10x10 ratio...This was the first time I've attempted to
> do this, so I'm still a bit confused...
>
> Kamal Syed

Be on the look out for ASDG's The Art Department coming in April.

The Art Department incorporates all of ASDG's cumlative expertise in deep
bit-map color processing. As such, it promises to be the fastest and most
precise deep bit-map processing engine yet produced for the Amiga.

TAD uses modular format decoders. The program comes bundled with our
Super-IFF loader (which loads anything that even looks like IFF from 1
to 24 bit-planes) as well as a Digi-View 3.0 21 bit loader. Other loaders
which will go on-sale when TAD ships include:

o Sculpt (a 24 bit format).
o Silver (a 24 bit format).
o GIF (an 8 bit format).
o Targa (16 and 32 bit formats).
o Rendition (a 32 bit format).

Other loaders are planned.

TAD provides the image processing capabilities you could get with Professional
ScanLab but at a considerable savings in cost (list price: $89.95). Additional
loaders range from 20 to 50 bucks.

TAD, in brief, is a 24 bit image processing system for the Amiga print and
video artist. We think its speed, accuracy, and capabilities will render all
other similar utilities (either commercial or otherwise) obsolete.

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (03/27/90)

In article <1221@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:

> The Art Department incorporates all of ASDG's cumlative expertise in deep
> bit-map color processing. As such, it promises to be the fastest and most
> precise deep bit-map processing engine yet produced for the Amiga.

Does this mean that ASDG's TAD will compete with ACI's ImageLink?  Or
will it be like ImageLink with the addition of image processing tools?

Could you explain the difference between the products? (or how they
work together)

-Tom
--
tlimonce@drew.edu      Tom Limoncelli       As seen in USA Today &
tlimonce@drew.uucp     +1 201 408 5389         Rec.Humor.Funny!

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (03/29/90)

That sound's GREAT!

I'll be looking for it...by the way, the last one you mentioned,
RENDITION...do you have any idea when it'll be available to end users?  And am
I getting my hopes up to high in thinking that it might be an Amiga version of
the RenderMan interface?

Also, since you guys at ASDG are pretty heavy into high-end graphics, let me
run something by you...an idea I had about a 24-bit board for the Amiga:

Forget the video-slot, and taking cues from the Amiga's native display.  Make
a board, or convert an exitsting design to plug into a standard Zorro II slot
for power.  Then, connect something like a Kurta tablet, or an AproDraw
digitizing table, and have the board get it's pointer readings off the port
the pad is plugged into.  That way, you load up your system, on the Amiga, and
you can go about doing other things after you have your Hi Res system loaded.

I don't see why nobody's made a true-color board for the Amiga yet.  The
market IS there...the boards are even cheap on the Mac now.

Maybe I just want too much...

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " I drank what? "
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |               -Socrates

  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |
      Voice: (512) 994-1602                    |

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (04/05/90)

In article <2028@crash.cts.com> troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com (Troy Barlow) writes:
>> TAD provides the image processing capabilities you could get with Professional
>  I don't know about 'obsolete'. The total cost ( assuming modules cost
>$20 each ) will be $189.95 with all modules!
>
> RGBExchange gives you conversions TO and FROM :
>
> <much stuff about rgbexchange delete>

Actually, Troy...you are to be commended for an excellent shareware product.
RGBExchange is an excellent utility for converting formats and is very much
a viable alternative to commercial products such as the ones I was comparing
The Art Department to.

RGBExchange was a pioneering program which I am sure will continue to improve
with the passage of time. Unless of course you want to come work on The Art
Department at ASDG. :-)

The thought I was trying to express  could have been made more clear in that
TAD is an Image Processing System which happens to understand multiple formats.

pk