[comp.sys.amiga] The RISK Review question.

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (04/05/90)

>From: consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett L. Kessler) Message-ID: <3269@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>

>Put simply, Amiga Risk would be a great game... if it were the IBM
>version.  But the Amiga version is horrible.
>
>(1) The map is not on-screen at all times.  It scrolls around the map,
>using a VERY strange interface.  On a computer with a hi-res mode of
         ^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

   Maybe I'm the only one but I was very impressed with the interfaces
   speed of scrolling around the screen. There are even two user definable
   scrolling modes.

>(2) The gameplay is slow and dizzying.  When the computer calculates
>how many territories you have (to determine how many armies you get),
>it jumps to each territory you own.  It is not for the weak-eyed to

   Very easy to get around by taking two seconds at the beginning of the
   game and selecting fast game. The map stays put and territories are
   tallied up at a blindingly fast speed.

>(3) Placing armies is a chore.  True, for the initial set-up you place
>armies one at a time, but later in the game there's no need to.  There
>should be some way to dump 5 or 10 or 20 armies at once.  But Amiga

   Huh ? Maybe we have differant versions. My version brings up a
   requestor when it is time to drop armies gained, around the world.
   Just edit the number and select the country.

>(4) Attacking and defending also require HUGE amounts of clicking.
>First click on the territory to attack from.  Then the one to attack.
>Then the number of dice for the attacker.  Then the number of dice for
>the defender.  Simple, right?  But if you're in the midst of a huge
>battle, you do this REPEATEDLY!  (Imagine 20 armies versus 30 armies
>doing this process...)  And while there is a "repeat last attack"
>option, you STILL have to click at least 3 times to initiate the new
>(old) attack.

   You can ease this situations by again taking a few seconds at the
   beginning of the game and selecting automatic dice and using keyboard
   shortcuts during battle. I've done battles of 75 armies vs. 80 armies
   comfortably using these methods.

>In short, thank heavens my dealer let me return this game for a
>refund.  If I wasn't such a steady customer, I would've been stuck
>with a $40 blank disk.  See if you can find the PD game called
>"Jeopard."  It's written in BASIC, so it's slow, but the gameplay is
>much better.

   To each his own. I prefer the RISK game to jeapord myself. The
   computer players are smart and at 3 differant levels of dif-
   ficulty. Like I said gameplay is fast if the game is set up
   right from the beginning. I really do wish there was a save
   preferances option though .

--
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,